Sneaky Gems.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice there SC! :Y: I've got a piece of Lightning Ridge crystal opal sitting here waiting for me to facet it. It has a beautiful green streak down one side but it's only narrow so care will be needed not to lose that part.

Did you polish with cerium?

Nice work, appreciate the progressive photos :cool:

One of the first practice stones I cut was a bit of clear opal crystal I had, it was less than plain but had a couple of flecks of colour. Once cut, the dance of the blue and purple flashes in it is truely mesmerising.

Am always on the lookout for some more rough as they are on my 'must cut another one' list.

Never get bored of cutting topaz. Such a beautiful material to work with. This is a 17.5mm Expo Brilliant cut. VVS clarity. Only the second stone I have cut with this design. I designed it specifically for topaz but it works really well in anything up to Zircon.

1522564232_20180401_161548_640x480.jpg

1522564249_20180401_161811_640x480.jpg

1522564263_20180401_162301_640x480.jpg

Definitely worth it RM. Its pretty time consuming but can be very rewarding. Especially when you get to see the finished project in some jewellery.

Mate I love it but how does that work. I have to say I know nothing about facering but I absolutely love your work. Do I assume that a disk or a plate goes in the middle? I have no idea but it looks very simply to the untrained eye.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge.
Mackka

The silver disc in the image above is the platen. There is a yellow catch pan that goes around it to catch the water and the cutting discs go on top of that. The platen is the most important part of the whole thing. If it is damaged or is running out of alignment, it's almost impossible to cut a good stone and the only way to repair it is to send it back to America to be calibrated.

1523109984_20180408_000411_640x480.jpg

SneakyCuttlefish said:
Ever had one of those experience that just made you really appreciate the human race? Well last night was one of those for me. I attended a BBQ where my faceting mentor and my gem dealing mentor where both present. What an evening. Good wine, good food and plenty of gems. Much to my surprise and deepest appreciation, my faceting mentor came bearing gifts and some show and tell.

This is a single morganite crystal from Minas Gerais, Brazil. It has not been cut.The edges are all natural crystal faces. Sadly it is heavily included but the inclusions cause an explosion of rainbows inside it. He was very generous to give me smaller and much cleaner piece from another crystal. It has a few good sized cutters inside it but will require some careful examination to extract them.

And to top it all off he gave me an exquisite high quality Kruss refractometer to practice identification with. There is also a parcel of top quality amethyst from Pakistan that arrived in the mail yesterday.

My work is certainly cut out for me now. Goodbye social life, hello my pretties!!
Have just been through the eight pages and much admire your work SC, must say you're an exceptionally talented cutter. Wondering what the instrument is in the case marked 'Colour tester' on the first page of the thread. Best, Tim

Thank you very much for your kind words Tim.

The color test is acctualy nothing special. Its a small box with round grooves drilled into a ultra white porcelin. To use it you put a stone in the groove and look at the colour. The idea is it should give you a true colour with no interference from back ground colours. To do it properly though the light should be as close to daylight as possible.

mate opal arrived today i cant thank you enough it was money very well spent
off to the jewelers today to get it mounted
my photos do not do it justice so i wont put one up
if anyone wants to see it go to post #179

SneakyCuttleFish - Wow, I am the very lucky person on the receiving end of that opal off 7.62 and its absolutely stunning. Awesome work you do and thank you so very much I love it. 7.62 {) is one of the most amazing men I have ever met, very blessed to have him in my life

Thany you very much everyone.

I'm very relieved you like it 7.62 and FireandIce. It's always a bit tense cutting a stone you know will end up on someones finger!

Dappa, best way to start is to visit your local lapidary club. They should be able to give you plenty advice and even some lessons!

Latest posts