The Winter Months

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone else does during the Winter months when the rivers and creeks are freezing.

Does everyone stop until it gets warmer?

I was considering buying a detector to use in the colder months.

Cheers.

I got about 50 bkts of cons sitting under my house just need to go to the creek and have a bit of a pan, but I still like heading bush chasing the yellow.

Brad........

I quite like highbanking in winter.

No leeches, and if you keep dry it is comfortable digging in cooler weather. Some blokes like to wear neoprene waders.

You need to be well set up for cold weather camping, and my favored location for that is the Hilton (Cricket Shed) at Tuena.

Cold frosty mornings generally turn into beautiful days.

Agreed on that one DrDuck. :Y: :Y:
Though with the Van with central heating has now cured
the winter morning blue. :D
I prefer the cooler weather as it is easier to warm up than
it is to cool down.
Love Autumn weather.

Tarana Motel years ago and hot showers and great meals whilst my BIL and his wife set up a tent in the pouring rain. Creek was freezing but I wear a wet suit and waterproof booties, snug as a bug in a rug. sieve all day no worries.
Mackka

Thanks everyone.

May have to invest in some waterproof gear. I am not keen on getting in the water around Canberra and the south coast during winter! I assume Tuena would be just as cold.

Im happy to pan or detect in the cooler months.
Those cheap long red plastic gloves you buy at bunnings do a great job of stopping your hands freezing off when panning etc in winter.

isolation said:
Im happy to pan or detect in the cooler months.
Those cheap long red plastic gloves you buy at bunnings do a great job of stopping your hands freezing off when panning etc in winter.
I go coin shooting at the snow at -2 degrees :eek: :lol: :lol:
Maybe a set of thermal snow glove liners would do well in the rubber gloves ;)

Snowboard pants for me, or waders when highbanking. Waking up in a tent at -5deg wearing trackies and snowboard pants. Then the crazy dash outside for a wizz with all those pants on! Trying to find your ugg boots... tripping over tent ropes... why the hell do they make them in black string beats me !

Eric2017 said:
Just curious what everyone else does during the Winter months when the rivers and creeks are freezing.

Does everyone stop until it gets warmer?

I was considering buying a detector to use in the colder months.

Cheers.

Methinks most nick over to WA with their detectors !

When I lived in WA I considered opening a pie stall on the Highway east of Norseman there were so many eastern staters coming thru".
:)

alpacajohn said:
When I lived in WA I considered opening a pie stall on the Highway east of Norseman there were so many eastern staters coming thru".
:)

A pie wouldbe better than the dodgy sandwiches from the roadhouse near the monestry!

I'm heading out for four days next month. Nice and cold it means i can dig hard to keep warm i like the cold just don't like being cold thermals and waters won't go astray.

Latest posts