New to gold detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My names baz and im new to prospecting. I bought myself a gpx5000 a month or two ago and went out a few times in the golden triangle to try and work it all out. I spent many hours reading about settings online and was confident in the settings i was using but was feeling a little bit lost when i was out in the bush. I spent as much time playing with the detector as i did actually detecting.
I found some junk but no gold which i expected to begin with but thought i may have found something after 4 or 5 outings.

A friend of a friend (luke) has been detecting for a few years very succesfully and luckily i was able to chat with him and get a few tips. He even offered to take me out to one of his spots and to show me the ropes. I accepted his offer providing he would let me pay him for the privelige. He insisted on doing it for free however i managed to hide some money in his car after our day out. Having only met him that day for the first time he seemed like it was his job to train people, he knew the gpx intimately even though he owned a gpz 7000 however he had gpxs previously.
We spent the first hour going through settings and testing them on a range of nuggets he brought with him. Then we started on some diggings and with a few pointers regarding my technique and ground balancing practice he had me picking the faintest signals and pretty much spoon fed me my first nugget which was the 3rd target of the day. He still hadnt got his detector out of the car yet and i felt bad as i was interrupting his time to detect. He spent another hour with me and taught me how to distinguish betweem ground noise and a legitimate target.
He stopped a few times throughout the day to offer advice and even let me dig one of his signals on the side of a hill which he was confident was gold. Sure enough it was and he let me keep it. He then made me detect the area as it was virgin ground and was confident there was more there. I couldnt believe this bloke was giving me gold and insisting i detect some virgin ground that he just found gold on.
he genuinely got enjoyment out of me finding gols for the first time.
I ended up with 6 pieces for the day including the one he gave me and 3 of them came from the virgin ground. so i managed to find some of them by myself and recover them and its safe to say i am absolutelt addicted now, even more than before.
We were both knackered just before dinner time and decided to call it quits and head home. On the way home i convinced him to offer detector/prospecting training to people and he actually liked the idea of it as it brought him back to when he was finding gold for the first time.
We are both from geelong and he has put an add on gumtree today titled gold prospecting/detecting and is offering half days, full days and tag along days if anyone is interested. He has 4 spots free this saturday and is going back to the same spot he took me last weekend.

I consider myself forever in debt to luke and i know its hard to find someone who will genuinely help you find gold.

Once i work out how to post a picture i will put a picture on here of my first 6 nuggets.

Sorry for the long first post but i am still on a high from the weekend.

Thanks bigwave, i still cant believe it, multiple nuggets on the one day!
Looking back on my previous outings by myself my technique was way off and i wasnt ground balancing correctly or often enough. Plus some of my settings that i had learnt online definitely werent the best for the ground we were on.
After we got my settings dialled in i was able to pick up a .1 easily where i couldnt before and i was able to hear a 1/4oz nugget he bought with him at an extra 2 inches just from getting my settings right. After that all i had to change was the sensitivity when the ground got noisy

Latest posts