New ground for Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi just Wondering if anyone has found new ground that produces Gold . Where no mining or gold has been recorded. If a place
has volcanic history the right rock formation like conglomerate rock , mud stone , deep quartz is it worth ago or just a waist on time ?

I reckon worth a look, because if the mining companies arnt interested, it dosnt mean there is not gold there, it just means it might not be profitable for them to mine it and process it.

Yeah, yeah, 8) it's everywhere Rusty, just that the mining companies n everyone else just keep looking in the same few old spots. ]:D

Mining co.'s are looking for "commercial" quantities, so even if they've been through an area and moved on, that's not to say there's not some fly sh*t or the odd nugget there.
I agree with davent, silver and nuggetino.

I aked the question as alot of people you talk to will not even bother going to a place detecting unless there is old gold mines or its marked on a map . So i was intrested in what other people think about searching for new ground . I dont mide having a look aroud as you could find anything in the way of treasures while searching for gold and it gives me more time to get to no my detector on different grounds . Thanks for your replies .

I'm sure there are people who have happened upon patches of gold in areas which have been surveyed but overlooked. If you look at the geology inbetween some of the goldfields you'll find there can be 100's of K's of ground with the same geological make up. Chances are somewhere between there are some patches of yellow. I'm willing to bet between Teetupla,SA and Tibooburra, NSW there'd have to be some nice patches of yellow.

nuggetino said:
I'm sure there are people who have happened upon patches of gold in areas which have been surveyed but overlooked. If you look at the geology inbetween some of the goldfields you'll find there can be 100's of K's of ground with the same geological make up. Chances are somewhere between there are some patches of yellow. I'm willing to bet between Teetupla,SA and Tibooburra, NSW there'd have to be some nice patches of yellow.
You're right there nuggetino :Y: Want to form an expedition? :p

Thought you were serious. I actually do have the free time now. I'll bring the makro gold racer and 4500. let's go!

nuggetino said:

I know some ground out that way that gave up a specimen about 2 or 3 grams. Private property we had access to many years ago before I started playing with detectors :eek:. New owners who don't allow access nowadays. I've got it locked in the memory bank and research the property owner status from time to time, one day hopefully.

RM Outback said:
nuggetino said:

I know some ground out that way that gave up a specimen about 2 or 3 grams. Private property we had access to many years ago before I started playing with detectors :eek:. New owners who don't allow access nowadays. I've got it locked in the memory bank and research the property owner status from time to time, one day hopefully.
Yes RM, it always comes back to the attitude of the land owner. I've contacted some station owners along the Barrier Hwy.to seek permission in this prospective country, only to be told, sorry no go...Like you, I will continue to approach them from time to time to guage there attitude till I get a positive response.
When I do nuggetino, I'll be in touch... :p

Rustydog1
I've spent a fair bit of time having a detect on ground not dug by old timers, though the geology needs to be right and normally old timer diggings are not far away or the location is on a Quartz reef line. Mind you I've not had much luck with this approach. However I live in hope of hitting a big one no one else has come across. There has to be virgin ground out there that the old timers or new timers have not found. Let's face it in the old days they just scoured the land looking. I feel I need to do the same. Good luck!

I remember reading a post on another forum about someone who happened upon an area scattered with small gold in outback NSW. Asked for an ID online as he was unsure if what was lying around was infact gold due to it's quantity. Turns out it was. I'll bet he made a lot of instant "friends". Anyone familiar or can dig up the post?

I go out exploring areas not known for gold a bit.

I enjoy it. Guess its the exploring part that I like.

Eric2017 said:
I go out exploring areas not known for gold a bit.

I enjoy it. Guess its the exploring part that I like.

i have a bad habit of stopping at creeks and rivers (when i am traveling solo which is 99% of the time) for a quick pan just to see you never know what will come to light ;) ;)
sometimes takes me ages to get anywhere :mad: ]:D ]:D
I have panned every creek and river from here to braidwood - cooma - bombala - delegate - vic border got good colour in some so it was worth it (will go back to them later) :) :)

Have the same habit mate. Especially when i see a creek with natural sluice like riffles filled with gravel. I need a hat with a built in gold pan so as never to leave home without it.

Strangely enough 7.62, I am on the road most days and even driving through the burbs, I see streams with great gravel beds and often think about taking a few pan fulls.
I would look pretty funny in my business clothes panning as the bus goes past hehehehehe.
Mackka :eek: :p :Y:

As more detectors find smaller and smaller gold, deeper and deeper, at some stage surely we'll all need to find new ground or we'll all get less and less. Trouble is new ground needs to be opened up and the sole purpose of the tree huggers is to lock up more and more. Doesnt paint a very good picture does it.

And if there can be dedicated walking tracks, cycle tracks, recreational reserves, (so people can re-create themselves, if there can be footy grounds and sporting complexes, why cant we get access to unused public land that may have gold on it to take part in our passtime. How are we going to degrade the said land. Anyone would think we were going to infect it with suicidal pox or some such disease.