Solar power question for home - power outages

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this is the right forum so if mods want to move they can :)

I'm wondering is there a small solar setup that can be used at home for when there's a power blackout?

A friend of mine who lives overseas , unfortunately has to endure regular blackouts.

What I'm thinking is a small portable solar panel that sits on his apartments balcony , then that charges a battery that could be stored away neatly (small apartment) Basically storing enough power to run say a fan , charge a phone etc. Obviously not much more than a couple of hours of power supply , or is batteries and solar much better than that these days?

I have zero experience at solar and how it all works so that's why I've put this in the camping forum where you see alot of campers using solar.

Appreciate any thoughts on the matter! :)

Deep cycle battery in a battery box with cigarette lighter adaptors and a 120 amph solar panel sounds like it would power the fan and charge a phone and run led lights, for a few days at a time. Run a car fridge to. A 160 amph panel would be better if a fridge was included. Car charger for the phone.

davent said:
Deep cycle battery in a battery box with cigarette lighter adaptors and a 120 amph solar panel sounds like it would power the fan and charge a phone and run led lights, for a few days at a time. Run a car fridge to. A 160 amph panel would be better if a fridge was included. Car charger for the phone.

Sounds like exactly what he needs.

Would somewhere like Anaconda sell the setup?

Usually the blackouts only last max 5 hours so running a fridge isn't necessary but appreciate the advice.

So from the deep cycle battery , it has power points?

Upside, you could look at something like an "ArkPak 730". Its outlets include: 2 cigarette sockets, 1 Anderson and battery terminals. It monitors and displays the battery state (upto 140Ah from memory). It can be charged via a regular power socket, or you could hook a solar panel through a charge controller to its Anderson socket for extended outages (1 day plus).

I just use a 100amp jump start unit comes with cigarete lighter type power outlet about $70 from auto pro with small solar car charge panel $40 from jay car and some cheap led lights this powers my lights and laptop for a night or two in the bush

Upside said:
davent said:

Sounds like exactly what he needs.

Would somewhere like Anaconda sell the setup?
Yes

Hello , if you can lay you hands on a good 12 volt car battery , and a charger , then all you need is a good 12volt led camping light , that will provide ample lighting during blackouts , I use this at home and out camping, minimal cost outlay, once you exceed the 50 volt solar panel battery bank system then technically its considered to be high voltage , the 12 volt system is generally limited by cable sizes using an inverter to convert to ac 240 volt power also has its drawbacks , ant the end of the day is an equation cost vs benefit
hope this helps

Latest posts