Only another button

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Need help with this button, made by Hardmans & Illiffe.
Really interesting design and found it at Ophir.

1493036847_img_8241.jpg

douro said:
Thanks Grubstake.... you wouldn't happen to know of any more specific details about this button ?

Purely guesswork on my part, but assuming that "R" and "d." at the bottom are an abbreviation for 'Registered.' (ie. the button is a registered design that cannot be copied by another manufacturer), I reckon that the "L" at the top might be a size code and the other alphanumerics (H, I, 26, 5), could be Hardman's and Iliffe's registration number for that particular style/type of button.

Hi Douro, the symbol on the back is the British patent registration diamond . Here's a link ,You should be able to work out the patent date and other info
It's often found on glass and pottery goods and not used after 1883 , though I guess they could have kept stamping the buttons out till the moulds wore out !

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ch/research-guides/diamond-marks-trade-marks/

thanks , brett

Well researched bbrook,will put that info in the back of my mind somewhere.

Thanks guys,

And Bret that link makes it a registered design in 26th May 1843. Thanks mate.

Now to find the material type represented by the "L", and the patent registration details represent by the BI RM.

And I guess you're right Grubstske the RG may very well mean Registered.

The puzzle is slowly unfolding.

Nice button! I think the, BI RM., just stands for Birmingham where the business was located. I am researching one with this back mark right now. The front of my button reads, RICH & ALLEN - DUBLIN :Y:

Latest posts