Could it be......

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, found this oddity . It's ain't lead, it ain't aluminium it's not magnetic. Just about as heavy as lead . What's the chances it's silver . it was covered in rich red dirt. Scrubbed it for a while with a toothbrush and warm water for a while
Found in Toodyay very close to where all the old prospectors used to work back in the 1900's?

negq6f.jpg

28jzjlu.jpg

I had a guy in the know tell me it could be Platnium but i have never heard of it being found anywhere near there

I first thought it might be meterorite but its not magnetic so it throws that idea out

Could be one of numerous metals mate, do a specific gravity test, that should help with a general idea, platinum is extremely heavy, even heavier than gold. Silver is about 10 or 11 sg. It should be easy to eliminate platinum if the SG is below 21.

Thanks, will do it as soon as i get some scales :)

I was also thinking it could be zinc

yeah gave it a slight sand to see what was under the dirt as a good scrub for a long time with toothbrush and warm water wouldnt work

yeah, i did a tiny bit and seen silver colour. I then thought it was zinc or tin so i sanded a bigger bit to get a better look. Still didnt sand much off ;). Didnt think it might be acual silver or maaaaaayyyyyyybe Platinium. I doubt its platnium but could besilver, maybe a coin that was melted or something . Whats got me is it looks like its been in the ground for thousands of years

Just flicked it across my x terra 705 and it shows a constant 26 it flicked 24 once but 26 all day long

I also gave it a little hit with the hammer and it was crushed down. No where as soft as lead but it's looking good for silver or even platnum

Hmmmm I think I know what it is but it has just eluded me for the moment, if I remember the name I will revisit and post it. I have some similar not magnetic and when I sanded them down a little same as this one.

golddiggerart said:
Hmmmm I think I know what it is but it has just eluded me for the moment, if I remember the name I will revisit and post it. I have some similar not magnetic and when I sanded them down a little same as this one.

Hematite

Just tried a piece of hematite same size under the detector. Didn't even go off on relic setting that I use. Flicked it to gold setting and it picks it up

Latest posts