First 2 Days Prospecting Anderson's Creek - No Gold!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

First time posting on here, good to meet you all.

I've been interested in prospecting for a while but decided to give it a go finally. Got a couple of pans, an entrenching tool and a bucket and headed up to Anderson's Creek in Warandyte, VIC.

Went with the better half the first day and on my own the second day but unfortunately no gold! I've really improved my panning technique over the 2 days though. I went looking for areas of low pressure in the creek.

Are there any other good creeks near Melbourne I should take a look at? I imagine Anderson's Creek has been done to death. I'd ask for more tips but there's loads of great resources online, but if you have any advice I'd appreciate it.

I met a couple of really nice blokes out trying their luch, I was the bloke with the wide-brimmed hat : ) Hope you had better luck than me!

Welcome to the forum Econ, gold is where you find it they recon ,.... good luch on the hunt hey. :)

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of other creeks and gullies around the area that have gold.
You just need to get out and explore.
And yes Andersons has been done to death.
As bigwave has said, long gully.
And nearly all the creeks around that area.

I stumbled across that spot on a family trip, I always have a pan in the vehicle so I had a go, nothing in the likely spots. The little fella wanted to see what I was doing so I panned some dirt right from the creek crossing and bugger me there was gold in the most unlikely flat spot. Only a couple of tiny specs though.

Thanks all. Should I be looking on the sides of the creek or in the creek itself? Or trying a bit of both?

Depending on the videos I've watched some people are panning material they've found on the side of the creek while others are up to their knees in water looking there.

Would appreciate any advice : )

This is exactly what I'm after mate, thanks so much.

Going to stick at panning for a few months and see if I've still got the bug then will look at getting a sluice. One of these classifiers looks great though, would make my life a lot easier and my back would definitely thank me!

Econwatson said:
Hi All,

First time posting on here, good to meet you all.

I've been interested in prospecting for a while but decided to give it a go finally. Got a couple of pans, an entrenching tool and a bucket and headed up to Anderson's Creek in Warandyte, VIC.

Went with the better half the first day and on my own the second day but unfortunately no gold! I've really improved my panning technique over the 2 days though. I went looking for areas of low pressure in the creek.

Are there any other good creeks near Melbourne I should take a look at? I imagine Anderson's Creek has been done to death. I'd ask for more tips but there's loads of great resources online, but if you have any advice I'd appreciate it.

I met a couple of really nice blokes out trying their luch, I was the bloke with the wide-brimmed hat : ) Hope you had better luck than me!

..... you gotta dig deep and get down to the bottom of the creek aka "the bed rock" cos that's where the gold works it's way down to and you should too!. Don't waste your time panning every shovel of loose gravel as you dig, it's loose cos somebody else has dug it before you, wait until you get down to the "hard pack" and then commence test panning - keep going until you reach the bed rock and clean it up. Widen your hole or pick another spot and repeat. If you work like this you'll find the gold if it's there - even in Anderson's creek ;)

G'day all.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Took a look out at Long Gully today but it's not flowing. At least in the places I looked anyway! :(

I had a quick pan at Anderson's Creek and tried to put into practice what the videos above taught, but no joy.

Is anyone heading out this weekend that wouldn't mind me tagging along? Would be great to see you at work!

Hey mate,
Doesn't have to be flowing, just to have pools of water near the creeks traps/riffles so you can pan your digs.
With the big and recent rains, there should be some gold replenished.

Econwatson said:
Thanks all. Should I be looking on the sides of the creek or in the creek itself? Or trying a bit of both?

Depending on the videos I've watched some people are panning material they've found on the side of the creek while others are up to their knees in water looking there.

Would appreciate any advice : )

Sides of the Creek?

Are you referring to the banks of the Creek?
There is a sign at Anderson,s Creek in the car park stating that gold panning is permitted in the Creek bed only!
Despite what the hoards of U Tube videos display in Victoria digging into the Creek Banks is frowned upon by the authorities & Greenies and rightly so.

Over a year ago some prospectors at Anderson,s were approached by the Police / Parks Victoria as some gold prospectors had dug into the banks causing a very obvious environmental scar to the landscape! Access to Anderson,s is a privilege we need to abide by the laws for continued access in the future! :Y:

Thanks all, appreciate the advice. I have been concentrating in the creek bed, not making a mess.

Shopping list for this weekend is a set of waders and a book about gold to the east of VIC. I am gonna head to BCF and Miner's Den, have heard a lot of good things about the latter. : )

Thanks for all your tips lads, I'm sitting beside Anderson's Creek as we speak and found a couple of specks in my first pan already!

Best hobby ever!

Nice work mate, glad to hear your getting some results from your efforts :Y:
Keep it up and enjoy the time out there

Latest posts