So, who,s an ex serviceman/woman?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a swabby didn;t get much chance on the weapons.
Have had a crack on the 50 cal - shooting buckets for practice - about 1000k out to sea.
Mainly back then it was all slr's (which i loved)

Best thing I saw was the missouri firing a full broadside - something to see - we had to stay 1k away as the backwash was huge.
That was a fun day.

Also once on hmas adelaide we sailed under the flight deck of the us jfk.

Nothing better that hearing - Hands to swimming stations - when you are 1000's of k away from any land.

Cool

davent said:
Occasional_panner said:
You poor infantry buggers never got to have fun with 84mm carl gutav's.
Ahhahhahahahaha now they were fun :Y:

Are you serious? I was in dfsw pl for 2 years, anti armour. Every grunt uses the 66 and the 84. We also used the 106 recoilless rifle mounted on short wheel based rovers, now THEY go bang!
OK mate 66 was widespread, I never saw grunts using the 84.

Tathradj said:
Grandad served at Lone Pine and Possiers.
How he got one of his medals was he moved out in front with an ammo box
Leaving behind the water can and boxed ammo.
He hosed down a heap of enemy before the gun locked up.
That got him the MM.

Until 1993, the Military Medal (MM) was a military decoration awarded to personnel of the British Army and other services, and formerly also to personnel of other Commonwealth countries, below commissioned rank, for bravery in battle on land.

The medal was established on 25 March 1916. It was the other ranks' equivalent to the Military Cross (MC), which was awarded to commissioned officers and, rarely, to warrant officers, although WOs could also be awarded the MM.

Occasional_panner
The 84 was not a weapon that was carried by foot soldiers
however it was on hand brought in by the q staff when in a long stay position
all inf soldiers were trained to use them

Occasional_panner said:
davent said:
Occasional_panner said:
You poor infantry buggers never got to have fun with 84mm carl gutav's.
Ahhahhahahahaha now they were fun :Y:

Are you serious? I was in dfsw pl for 2 years, anti armour. Every grunt uses the 66 and the 84. We also used the 106 recoilless rifle mounted on short wheel based rovers, now THEY go bang!
OK mate 66 was widespread, I never saw grunts using the 84.

Lol, every company has or had, 84,s in the armory. We used to send lids (newbies) to see the CQMS and ask him for a bbda bag for the 84.
We used to have "yipee shoots" at the end of the financial year, expend all left over rounds. HEAT, prac and illum. Illum were a pain in the backside, the bbda would throw gravel every where. We even enrolled Carl Gustav to vote, and we even had his unpaid fines in our booza, the chat (pronounced shat) same with Howard Green.

BTW, did you ever see grunts using the Milan?
5/7 were to my knowledge, the only unit issued Milan, the rest of us only had the 84,s and the 106,s until they were retired in about 1992 I think.
84,s still used today, they are simple, and very accurate.

You might have had them in the armoury, but we carried them as a personal weapon in recon.
Infantry never carry an 84 in the field.

Occasional_panner said:
You might have had them in the armoury, but we carried them as a personal weapon in recon.
Infantry never carry an 84 in the field.

Look mate, now you are starting to make me angry.
Don't tell me what I did and didn't do.
3RAR was an airborne battalion.
How do you think we got our 84,s in the field.
We had them strapped to our packs, and we jumped them in and man packed them for the duration of the exercise/operation. Along with the concrete filled ammo canisters to simulate rounds. And we also had our personal weapons to, and guess what? We didn't parachute vehicles in to carry them around for us eitherSo please stop with your 2Cav or 3/4 cav or Ares cav war stories.

This thread was all about seeing who among us served in Army, Navy or Air force, regular or reserve in the spirit of ANZAC day, not a pissing comp.

7.62marksman said:
Royal Australian Infantry 1979 to 2000
1 RAR
5/7 RAR
51 FNQR
4/3 RNSWR
also 6 yrs Shadow Posting

have to ask, what is "Shadow posting"
Never heard of that before.

madtuna said:
7.62marksman said:
Royal Australian Infantry 1979 to 2000
1 RAR
5/7 RAR
51 FNQR
4/3 RNSWR
also 6 yrs Shadow Posting

have to ask, what is "Shadow posting"
Never heard of that before.

It means that while the Sun is up they go down the Pub to avoid the Sun, Lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shadow posting as was told to me in the brief
Soldiers from all units were used depending on skills call in when required
Posting to a rapid deployment force
Must be 100% deployment ready and on call 24/7
Kit inspections with 10 min notice
was only called in once and that was for two weeks
Belive me it was nothing as exciting as SAS now they are the ones that do the hard yards

Latest posts