So, who,s an ex serviceman/woman?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had to clean out this post and am not happy. I chose to do that instead of dumping the whole thread.
True, we are all entitled to our own personal opinion but in a case like this, I am a bit pissed on the junk that
Was posted. I myself have not served on a battle front but have been behind the scenes in a category that I
Can not talk about.
My Grandfather served in the First World war in the 18tth Battiloin as a Lewis Machine Gunner and to the day
he passed away in 1977, Had to have shrapnel removed from his legs. He was awarded both Bravery in the
field of fire and the Military Medal.
No more crap please.
Or else.

7.62marksman said:
madtuna said:
17th Battalion RNSWR
i understand your unit goes back as far as 1860

It may, but ...
Wikipedia said:
The 16th Field Battery was an Australian Army Reserve unit based in Tasmania with depots at Paterson Barracks in Launceston and Derwent Barracks in Hobart until 2013, when it was reduced in size to a troop, and amalgamated with its Adelaide-based sister battery, 48 Field Battery, to form the 6th/13th Light Battery.[1] The unit is the oldest artillery unit in the Australian Army, and the longest continually serving unit in Australia.

Not that I was a long serving unit :)

LOL so true and the amount of food they can carry
when walking and only resupplied every 5 days means something has to go because of weight the first stuff to go was food that we didnt like which was most of it
so yes i will agree with you on that
ration pack 24 hour 2kg x 5 = 10kg
my platoon average weight back in the old days with front line ammo (on top of your own ammo each man carried 200 rounds for the m60) was 75kg NOT including your weapon (m60, bren. slr. m16. m16/203)
1492942990_100_62961.jpg

Tathradj said:
Sorry, I corrected the battalion number.
He was the 18th.
The 18th Battalion was an infantry battalion of the Australian Army. During World War I, the battalion was raised in 1915 as part of the Australian Imperial Force, attached to the 5th Brigade, of the 2nd Division. It was sent initially to Gallipoli, where it suffered a large number of casualties before it was withdrawn from the line and sent to France and Belgium, where it served at the Western Front as part of the Australian Corps and took part in most of the major battles between 1916 and 1918. The battalion's last engagement of the war was at Montbrehain in October 1918

Tathradj said:
My Grandfather served in the First World war in the 18tth Battiloin as a Lewis Machine Gunner and to the day
he passed away in 1977, Had to have shrapnel removed from his legs. He was awarded both Bravery in the
field of fire and the Military Medal.
The Lewis gun (or Lewis automatic machine gun or Lewis automatic rifle) is a First World War-era light machine gun of US design that was perfected and mass-produced in the United Kingdom,[1] and widely used by British and British Empire troops during the war. With its distinctive barrel cooling shroud and top-mounted pan magazine, the Lewis served to the end of the Korean War. It was also widely used as an aircraft machine gun, almost always with the cooling shroud removed, during both world wars.
for the people that are not sure of weapons

NeilM said:
Hey Dave

Just finished reading a book about one of the great aussie soldiers.
Never heard of him before (and I read a lot of aus mil books)

Len Opie

South Aus guys may have heard of him.
He was a real hero and legend and would hav e been a great guy to be in the trenches with

3RAR has a section competition every year called the Opie Trophy. Very demanding comp, usually over a week and over 100km on foot with incredible tasks to complete along the way that demand team work and test every soldiers military skills.
(For the record,I don't miss it!)

like your g/father i have a mate who sets off metal detectors from the grenade shrapnel he still has in him from nam
(i keep threatening him that i will get a big electro magnet) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:)

davent said:
3RAR has a section competition every year called the Opie Trophy. Very demanding comp, usually over a week and over 100km on foot with incredible tasks to complete along the way that demand team work and test every soldiers military skills.
(For the record,I don't miss it!)
heard about that thank god i was not there well done on that :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

Occasional_panner said:
You poor infantry buggers never got to have fun with 84mm carl gutav's.
Ahhahhahahahaha now they were fun :Y:

Are you serious? I was in dfsw pl for 2 years, anti armour. Every grunt uses the 66 and the 84. We also used the 106 recoilless rifle mounted on short wheel based rovers, now THEY go bang!

Latest posts