Numeralla NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking about heading out tomorrow for a dig and pan.

I was looking at Numeralla, most river access seems to be through private property.

Does anyone know if you can have a pan at the campground there on the Big Badja River?

Cheers,
Eric

Went for a drive out to have look. I couldn't find anywhere decent to set up with the family. So no panning today unfortunately.

Eric2017 said:
Went for a drive out to have look. I couldn't find anywhere decent to set up with the family. So no panning today unfortunately.
i have a mate that lives down there however he has gone to the GT for a few weeks i will give him a ring and see about giving you his number
i will PM you if he says ok

Sorry Eric I just opened the post. It has been many,many years mate but I remember that the turnoff was about 5klms north of Cooma and turned off to the right heading north.
There is rule about digging too close to the weir wall.
It was a very pretty spot but I don't remember a campground.
Mackka

Yeah I have all the locations marked up with waypoints in Hema.

I just couldn't find a decent place to set up for the day.

Watch out for Bulldog ants and Jackjumpers down at Numeralla, the things are literally everywhere, one time my mate got stung by a couple of them. My mate also used to have about 200 acres there on the the Badja River, there were a few diggings along the river too. That was before I was into fossicking though, wish I still had access to that property.

Been up to numerella a couple times and I can only give you this 'unsolicited' advice. As you come in from the North end (cooma) heading south take the last left road before the bridge heading downstream. It will turn into a dirt road. A couple of kms out (this is as exact as I can be from memory) you will see big quartz stones in the hills on your left that pass across the road. A cpl hundred metres from there is a small diagonal track on the right that goes down to the river. Where the river has a huge flat cobble pile built up Ive had a few digs in there on the main dry channels for some small showings. I don't think you traverse any private land but I could be wrong hence Un solicited. The local bloke I met there the first time drew me a mud map to find it. Good luck.

I've camped at the spot marked with the red X below on that long stretch of sand and rock. There's a few different tracks in, just a matter of picking the best one on the day. Some are washed out or have fallen timber blocking them, I usually take a track that leads down to the bottom of that sandy area and then just drive up along it.

I've sample panned and highbanked around that general area and found a few bits, but not enough to spend a lot a lot of time there. My mate got a couple of nice chunks out of a clay layer between some of the rocks just below the sand. There are lots of holes where others have been digging. If you go for a wander up along the bank above the camp spot there are lots of old diggings, but from an old prospecting report I found they may have been chasing silver.

1494466926_badja.jpg

Latest posts