ANZAC Commemorative Coin sets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know this isn't a numismatics forum but I know there are some coin enthusiasts here on PA that im hoping to get some advice from

I've been collecting this years anzac commemorative coin set available from each days paper for 2 weeks leading up to anzac day. I have only been collecting coins and notes from circulation for about 6 months now so pretty new to the whole thing, this is my first mint set that I have actually bothered spending money on.

I have a few questions for those who don't mind answering.

1. Does anyone know how many of these they actually mint? They say that there are only a limited number and only available exclusively in conjuction with each days paper, but I've seen previous years sets available from downies, so does that mean they aren't exclusive just with the paper and will be available once the promotion is over? I thought i would collect them thinking that they would only be available to collect during the 2 week promo.

2. Are they worth investing in, im collecting not only for the enjoyment but also as an investment to pass down to my kids to pass down to their kids so on and so forth, so do you think these coin sets will actually be worth something in 100 years and worth spending money on?

3. Also what are your general thoughts on these sets? Love em? Hate em? Would like to know what fellow enthusiasts think of these sets?

Cheers,
M3 :cool:

i am not an enthusiasts however in my job i see lots of coin sets come through
i research (quick one on ebay unless i have time then i go further) and then price accordingly
you would be surprised how much coin sets have increased in value in the 12 years i have been doing this job
so my advise is yes collect them keep them in VF condition and they will only increase in value
if you need proof go to ebay type in Anzac coin 2017 (then go to sold listings)(price highest first)
you will see they are already being sold on there (full sets already)
JMO

Personally I think commemorative coin sets produced by the mint would hold more value over the years than commercially produced "coin sets" from newspapers. Every man and his dog seems to be producing Anzac memorabilia every year to make a buck. As an example, take a look at how many items are up for sale at your local post office for Anzac day.

Probably better off trying to source the actual war medals as collectables, even if you can only afford one at a time, say off ebay. They hold real history, are tied to an actual soldier who fought in the war, hence are unique one off historic items. Just be aware that many are replicas, the reals ones will list the soldier's name, rank and regiment and will possibly have paperwork supplied with them. :)

Thanks for your thoughts 7.62 and Goldpick.

Goldpick said:
Personally I think commemorative coin sets produced by the mint would hold more value over the years than commercially produced "coin sets" from newspapers.

Actually Goldpick these coins are produced by the royal australian mint and hold a total face value if you were to spend them at the corner store of $3 (10 x 20c coins and 4 x 25c coins) and are considered legal tender. The only way to purchase them (well for the time being) is to purchase the paper, cut out the token, produce the token along with $3 at your local news agent and they'll hand over that days coin :)
Edit: they are also available as complete sets or individual coins on ebay

I'm half way through the set and will complete it, I'm a sucker for anything anzac this time of year, haha :D

So i couldn't find any info on the RAM websitr so I thought I would email them.

Reply below which explains why I couldnt find any mintage figures on the interweb :/

Thank you for contacting the Royal Australian Mint.

The mintage of these coins is Unlimited, we don't have the final mintage figures for these coins yet. However they will be released in this year's annual report.
To give you an indication last year we produced approximately 250,000 of each coin for News Corp.

Kind Regards,

Customer Service Team
Royal Australian Mint

:cool:

Goldpick said:
As an example, take a look at how many items are up for sale at your local post office for Anzac day.

Odd you mention that....yeah plenty of Cards, Single coins, coin sets etc.....but not ONE single Anzac Day 'badge or Pin'....

P.O. > "Yeah, nah, we don't have them anymore, you can go up the street where they're selling them ...."

Once was, you could get them in just about any variety store, PO or newsagent in town.... no more. :(

As to Newspaper coins/tokens....there will be a limited number of enthusiasts, and therefore a reduced demand for them over time..

Look under 'Collectibles' on e-Bay for a guide as to previous years value...

I won't collect 'Medals' myself, as i'd rather see them in family hands....

Best long term bet as collectibles would be Proof & Unc coins...and PMC (circulation) annual coin sets....imo.

Limited edition numbers don't always necessarily climb in value as the rate of 'circulated' currencies unless the subject matter/suppliers are 'hot tickets'....

I think it was the holden coins the auction house bought 1000s of newspapers to get the sets to sell so i was told, or maybe they had a deal to take the left over sets.
With multiple steps to get each coin theres a very goop chance most sets wont be complete , so stick with it and even buy extras of the last 2 or 3 coins as they would be the rarer ones as people get slack :Y:

Thanks for your thoughts GGA, this is my first coin set I've collected and have only previously been collecting coins out of circulation, still really new to the hobby so always appreciate the thoughts and wisdom of others. I like the set and I'm pleased with the potential of low mintage, i spose it is a niche market within a niche hobby, from what I've seen on ebey with the past 2 years' sets is that they aren't selling for much more if at all what it would have cost to collect the whole set at the time of release, but in saying that I'm not really interested in selling it in the next couple of decades let alone years :)

The next time I invest in coinage I think i might consider "proof" or "mint" sets. Again thanks for your thoughts :Y:

Living and learning :cool:

aussiefarmer said:
I think it was the holden coins the auction house bought 1000s of newspapers to get the sets to sell so i was told, or maybe they had a deal to take the left over sets.
With multiple steps to get each coin theres a very goop chance most sets wont be complete , so stick with it and even buy extras of the last 2 or 3 coins as they would be the rarer ones as people get slack :Y:

Thanks aussiefarmer, yeah thats a good idea. I was thinking about purchasing a couple of the last coin and also the starter pack if the newsagent still have em as I'm thinking that once the newsagent stops selling them they may be a hot item for a month or so :D

Just another point on 'low mintage'.....to me that's 10,000 or less....like my Ned Kelly Commemorative set...just my personal take on it.

http://talismancoins.com/products/64849

Reportedly one of only 1880....(and the year he was hung...), and from the Perth Mint to boot. Mine also came with an A4 Poster of Ned.

The thing about collecting.... we do it because it brings us joy....go your hardest i say.... i just can't afford the ones i want. :D

Might be a window for the future....keep an eye out for the poster on it's own....(left behind after theft for eg,..) as there are only 1880 of those as well... :Y:

GypsyGoldAu said:
Just another point on 'low mintage'.....to me that's 10,000 or less....like my Ned Kelly Commemorative set...just my personal take on it.

The thing about collecting.... we do it because it brings us joy....go your hardest i say.... i just can't afford the ones i want. :D

Thanks for the insight GGA :)
Yep definatley enjoying it :cool: cant get enough of it at the moment don't think I've seen so much lose change around the house :rolleyes: :lol:

Yep definitely would like to get my hands on a few different sets, but it seems the wife cant quote grasp the concept of spending money on money :/ :rolleyes: :lol:

M3talmiliti4 said:
GypsyGoldAu said:

Thanks for the insight GGA :)
Yep definatley enjoying it :cool: cant get enough of it at the moment don't think I've seen so much lose change around the house :rolleyes: :lol:

Yep definitely would like to get my hands on a few different sets, but it seems the wife cant quote grasp the concept of spending money on money :/ :rolleyes: :lol:
pm sent mate

Thanks M3.... i like em :p and that's what it's about,.... whatever makes you happy.

PS...changed link for a better site and info.

I also used to as a kid own one of the Reward posters from the Old Melbourne Jail post a tour through the jail...gone now though. :(

Cheers and have FUN.

M3talmiliti4 said:
but it seems the wife cant quote grasp the concept of spending money on money :/ :rolleyes: :lol:

Grab an issue of Skinners or McDonalds (both cover Aust. currency very well) and show her some of the coin values in there,..or go to an online Auction House that deals just in currency (and maybe antique jewelry).... it won't take much to show how you can come out ahead....you just need to 'buy' right... ;)

eg;...keep an eye out for any condition banknotes from 1996 you get in circulation....(i let one slip through to the keeper myself just today, and still kicking myself)...or any 1st or Last release prefix banknotes (usually AA for 1st release, varies for Last..)

If you like 'niche' collecting, you can then look at 'radar', solid, error prints, etc....or say, just collect every denomination with a 10 for eg, but ALL in UNC - G/UNC or PROOF....just that alone will take you years... :eek: ;)

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Fancy-Bank-Notes-10-Most-Common-Categories-/10000000001758931/g.html

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=fancy+australian+coins&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Gypsy

GypsyGoldAu said:
M3talmiliti4 said:
but it seems the wife cant quote grasp the concept of spending money on money :/ :rolleyes: :lol:

Grab an issue of Skinners or McDonalds (both cover Aust. currency very well) and show her some of the coin values in there,..or go to an online Auction House that deals just in currency (and maybe antique jewelry).... it won't take much to show how you can come out ahead....you just need to 'buy' right... ;)

eg;...keep an eye out for any condition banknotes from 1996 you get in circulation....(i let one slip through to the keeper myself just today, and still kicking myself)...or any 1st or Last release prefix banknotes (usually AA for 1st release, varies for Last..)

Gypsy

Thanks Gypsy, I've been considering a coin and note book lately leaning more towards the latest edition renniks, is their one that is more comprehensive then the other?

Yeah I've come accross a few first prefix bank notes, just the other day actually i mamaged to come accross a first prefix new 5iver and an AA12 $10 note that is in really good condition, its a bit harder to keep up with all the last prefix notes though. I will be keeping an eye out for any 1996 note now thanks, may I ask why they are so sort after? And I always check for unique serial numbering on every bank note I come across :D

Latest posts