private land access

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a small tip when speaking to any landholders trying to gain access.
is take it from there angle of their concerns....
# if you have a dog with you, sadly you have just slashed your chances 95% off the bat unless its a chowawer! Speaking with the locals they dont want to chance any livestock getting stressed or killed, this includes horses and their own pets.
# fires during summer can wipe them out totaly broke
# guns are just a big NO ! 99% of the time.
So in the first part of introduction, make sure you let them know none of the above will take place on there property.
I love my two toy dogs to tag along for the day, they love it. But it kills your chances respectively.
This is probably the biggest of concerns from farmers out my way, exceeding rubbish and back filling holes, but of course do such.
Lets keep the access possible hey

Just think about it like if a stranger knocked on your house door and wanted to spend the afternoon in your backyard , more than likely you will say no.
So when someone does grant you access, offer to show them your finds and ask what beer they drink so you can bring them a carton next trip ,or tell them what you do for a living maybe that could be of use to them, land holders that let people in are rare and deserve to be thanked in some way .

Seems like some sound common sense advice. Curious though, if you are wanting to go onto private land do you try and contact the owner in advance to make arrangements or just show up and take your chances on a cold intro?

aussiefarmer said:
Just think about it like if a stranger knocked on your house door and wanted to spend the afternoon in your backyard , more than likely you will say no.
So when someone does grant you access, offer to show them your finds and ask what beer they drink so you can bring them a carton next trip ,or tell them what you do for a living maybe that could be of use to them, land holders that let people in are rare and deserve to be thanked in some way .

Spot on AF ................. if you can make yourself an asset to have around it certainly opens a lot of doors that would otherwise be closed.
Was amazed at the gratitude for fixing a few dam pumps and tweaks to some mustering bikes and quads :Y:
But in a nutshell respect the privilege that you have been shown and given ................ both to the person and his property.

Openroadsoul ...................... for me the in person is the way as a voice on a phone tells little of the person on the other end. If denied then accept it without question :Y:

That can depend on various situations. If you live local, or ringing. Cold intro's can give have the advantage of face to face, even if it isn't for then and there. Having your full details on paper to hand to them, even with a photo copy of your drivers license, rego can show them you have nothing to hide. A day visit is better than asking to camp straight off the bat. And call in on the way out if you are granted such, say your thanks etc, then that opens things up with trust.

Funnily enough I don't offer much up at all ? I simply ask the question and usually the owner will let me know any concerns he may have and I then address them as required? Most land owners I have found will certainly let you know what concerns them about you being there and in short I think as long as you can satisfy them that they have no need to be concerned ................... your in :Y: Most concerns are usually about the well being of their stock and this can vary. Some stations don't like quads especially around muster time as the cattle quite often relate the sound to a chopper as used during aerial mustering and it can tend to spook the cattle up. This is not an issue if you are aware of how far you need to stay from the stock and also be able to recognize when they are starting to become uneasy by your presence.
Again all this will vary greatly as access to a farm in Vic to a cattle station in FNQ is two complete different scenarios