manganese?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsdw

Drew
Reaction score
These samples were collected from near some ruins on an old manganese mine in far north queensland. Rocks are very heavy. Could these be manganese possibly?
1491714379_tmp_4803-20170409_1403401321954780.jpg

1491714423_tmp_4803-20170409_140327558795658.jpg

Yes I think it might have a high percentage of manganese. I remember seeing somewhere it was found while analysing what they thought was iron ore. It looks a lot like magnetite but has more luster.

It looks like it from the photo.
I picked up a chunk of rock in cairns.
Left it at the miners den for someone to help id it
George sent of a small bit to a mate to be tested.
Came back %97 manganese.
Ill see if I can find the photo to it.

XIV said:
It looks like it from the photo.
I picked up a chunk of rock in cairns.
Left it at the miners den for someone to help id it
George sent of a small bit to a mate to be tested.
Came back %97 manganese.
Ill see if I can find the photo to it.

Cheers for that. Plenty of it laying around at this site. Would be good to identify it. Even scored a few old bottles up there as well.

shivan said:
I think your jumping the gun there Silver. Isn't it $1.94 per kilo not $1940 per kilo?
sorry shivan, I got all excited, I meant to say $1940 US per ton. :lol:
So that's $2574.05 Australian per ton. :p :party:

The Price is for Refined Material.... Then, the Problem is trying to find a buyer for it. There are Tones and tones of it in Mining Reserves right across Australia....

LoneWolf....

Yes, It would be nice to have little nest-egg......A mate at Glen Innes was selling 44gal Drums of Tin to a Company Overseas for.... $32,000 a Drum. :eek: very Pure it turned out to be...... but that was in 2009 when Tin was a record High.... Set Him up for Life... Lucky Fellow...

LoneWolf.....

Yes, He recons it was the Easiest Money he has made.... All he did was mined his property for Sapphires in the 80's/ 90's, and as he did that, pushed all the Tin into piles and bought a pulsator to 'Refine' his Tin... He then approached several Company's overseas and started a bidding war.... Simples he says..... Yeh right... :) :rolleyes:
Anyhow a nice find for the Cabinet.... :Y:

LoneWolf....

By the looks of it I would say high 30% manganese even maybe low 40s, very good quality specimen you have there, looks very similar to the 42% manganese I have,

Peko said:
By the looks of it I would say high 30% manganese even maybe low 40s, very good quality specimen you have there, looks very similar to the 42% manganese I have,

Can u put up a picture of your specimen please

This is the sample I picked up
1491950290_2017-04-12_08.36.43.jpg

The chip sample that was tested was %97 manganese
There is also a quartz intrusion through is.

Looks just like mine. I might go for another adventure over easter break and see what other samples i can find. I also now have tje locations of the shafts and tunnels. I wont bw going in them. But will check out the tailings and maybe run a detector over them.