gold in and under the ocean

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just out of curiosity does any one know that you would find gold anywhere in the ocean around victoria or aus alone ,,,, just something that has always been on my mind for some reason,,, i know you can find fossils under the ocean, where miocene ground formations are exposed to the waves and fossils wash ashore,,

Seems to be a feasible conclusion MPB. I to have wondered the same thing but with nothing to test the thought, decided to stay land bound. Here's just a thought tho, if gold finds its lowest point, bedrock, in a river, why would it not continue into the lowest parts of the ocean? Does it somehow not want to get its feet wet in the "salt water" and elect to stay on land? I was in Qld a few years ago and at the shore were wide ribbons of quartz seams in the rocks there. So I wondered at the time if a swing into the water would have been productive. Didn't have the detector that day so I didn't find out. "Murphy's Law" - when you most want it, you leave it home.

I'm thinking you would need to find maps of the different layers of rock ... sediment ect,, different times such as miocene ect and I'm just using that as an example because I've used this method to locate rich fossil beds full of beautiful big teeth,, and in the middle of the bush were this miocene ground has pushed up ,,,, ,, it has to be there for sure i would think ,,,take the golden triangle for example ,,,, why there ,,, why just there ,, what sort of ground is it ... I'm itching to find out ........ imagine all the gold under all the old houses in ballarat ect ,,, when back in the day there were no medal detectors .... hmmm think i found myself some home work :)

From ... www.oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gold.html

..."Ocean waters do hold gold nearly 20 million tons of it. However, if you were hoping make your fortune mining the sea, consider this: Gold in the ocean is so dilute that its concentration is on the order of parts per trillion. Each liter of seawater contains, on average, about 13 billionths of a gram of gold..."

I recall a similar thread/post within the last six months (perhaps a 'Formation of Gold' thread?) and was reminded of this site..

My thoughts?...get in good with the 'maintenance guy' at the local De-Sal plant... ]:D ]:D ]:D

Gypsy

There's more gold under the sea than on the land much like oil.

The ocean water has microscopic specs of gold north east south to west as a result of petruding reefs and ground movement/shifting plates, etc.

I've seen a doco on this which had gold veins visible in some cave

MARK PORTLAND BOY said:
I'm thinking you would need to find maps of the different layers of rock ... sediment ect,, different times such as miocene ect and I'm just using that as an example because I've used this method to locate rich fossil beds full of beautiful big teeth,, and in the middle of the bush were this miocene ground has pushed up ,,,, ,, it has to be there for sure i would think ,,,take the golden triangle for example ,,,, why there ,,, why just there ,, what sort of ground is it ... I'm itching to find out ........ imagine all the gold under all the old houses in ballarat ect ,,, when back in the day there were no medal detectors .... hmmm think i found myself some home work :)

Wife grew up in Bendigo and says there was a mine shaft under the lounge room. Her father put his foot down literally one day through the floor board and it was discovered.

Gem in I said:
Wife grew up in Bendigo and says there was a mine shaft under the lounge room. Her father put his foot down literally one day through the floor board and it was discovered.

A cpl of houses in Golden Gully have been destroyed by mine subsidence and the ground opening up in the last 5x yrs.... not surprising with hundreds of Km's of tunnels under the town...

1491730038_dsc_0406.jpg

1491730039_dsc_0407.jpg

1491730039_dsc_0408.jpg

Gypsy

damm i missed that ,, can you let us know what happens ,, would love to hear spewed i missed it :(... is it in Australia ?
lukem said:
Funnily enough I'm watching 'Sunday night' right now, channel 7. . next story is about gold under the sea!!

thats very interesting ,, is that in australian waters ? very interesting topic i think .... i do know they retrieve gold out of the ocean over seas,good nuggets ect
GypsyGoldAu said:
From ... www.oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gold.html

..."Ocean waters do hold gold nearly 20 million tons of it. However, if you were hoping make your fortune mining the sea, consider this: Gold in the ocean is so dilute that its concentration is on the order of parts per trillion. Each liter of seawater contains, on average, about 13 billionths of a gram of gold..."

I recall a similar thread/post within the last six months (perhaps a 'Formation of Gold' thread?) and was reminded of this site..

My thoughts?...get in good with the 'maintenance guy' at the local De-Sal plant... ]:D ]:D ]:D

Gypsy

MARK PORTLAND BOY said:
thats very interesting ,, is that in australian waters ? very interesting topic i think .... i do know they retrieve gold out of the ocean over seas,good nuggets ect

As it is a US site, i imagine that's global figures. Additionally the link goes on to say...

..."There is also (undissolved) gold in/on the seafloor. The ocean, however, is deep, meaning that gold deposits are a mile or two under water. And once you reach the ocean floor, youll find that gold deposits are also encased in rock that must be mined through. Not easy.

Currently, there really isnt a cost-effective way to mine or extract gold from the ocean to make a profit. But, if we could extract all of that gold, theres enough of it that each person on Earth could have nine pounds of the precious metal. Eureka!..."

So plenty for everyone on the planet, just too expensive or unable to mine/process...for any real value that is.

Having said that, i am aware of river mouth mining done in Africa for one,....and that is for nuggets.

www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1MDNA_enAU593AU593&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ocean+gold+mining+africa

and overall view of African projects here;...

www.projectsiq.co.za/gold-mining-africa.htm

More links here;...

www.revealnews.org/article-legacy/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-deep-sea-gold-rush/

www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/02/underwater-gold-rush-marine-mining-fears-ocean-threat

And a new way to process...

http://www.creativitypool.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2853

with links in the 'Comments' section for further reading.

Gypsy

thank you thats very interesting indeed . best stick to the land i think beggar :)
GypsyGoldAu said:
MARK PORTLAND BOY said:

As it is a US site, i imagine that's global figures. Additionally the link goes on to say...

..."There is also (undissolved) gold in/on the seafloor. The ocean, however, is deep, meaning that gold deposits are a mile or two under water. And once you reach the ocean floor, youll find that gold deposits are also encased in rock that must be mined through. Not easy.

Currently, there really isnt a cost-effective way to mine or extract gold from the ocean to make a profit. But, if we could extract all of that gold, theres enough of it that each person on Earth could have nine pounds of the precious metal. Eureka!..."

So plenty for everyone on the planet, just too expensive or unable to mine/process...for any real value that is.

Having said that, i am aware of river mouth mining done in Africa for one,....and that is for nuggets.

MARK PORTLAND BOY said:
damm i missed that ,, can you let us know what happens ,, would love to hear spewed i missed it :(... is it in Australia ?
lukem said:
Funnily enough I'm watching 'Sunday night' right now, channel 7. . next story is about gold under the sea!!

It was almost a "gotcha" using Gold as the sucker to draw you in. The very small section of the program was mainly about a Chinese operation in the middle of the Indian Ocean that is using a submersible to do deep sea testing near hot smokers, and gold was only mentioned as one of the possible minerals that could be found under the sea,

Still an interesting item, but have seen quite a few similar ones in the past, mainly US operations.

Rob P.

There is/was quite a bit of gold and platinum on some of Australia's beaches, some of these finds that miners found were quite rich, as the coastline has eroded over so many millions of years I reckon you could certainly expect to find gold off Australia's coast line, also there would be numerous other deposits that would have formed under the sea.

Latest posts