any ideas on wat this is green obsidian or something else

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1491522703_img_0426.jpg

Hmmm, because they are waterworn it is difficult to determine what those stones are. Being so smoothly worn I would say they are hard stones...maybe Sapphires, but I'm inclined to say what you have there is Tsavorite (the green stones) and Hesonite (the amber colour stones).
Could you share with me the location you found the stones??....pretty please? Hehee. :) :Y:

Hi Palmerston, where did they generally come from mate, that may help in the ID. There is hardly any colour difference between the "objects". So I would go for tumbled glass. The only mineral I have experience of with that can have an even colour between pieces like that would be peridot from the same basalt flow....although I have not seen peridot as dark as the old bottle green in your pieces.
RDD

They certainly don't look like sapphires to me, wrong green. They look more like chrome diopside in my opinion. Other stuff looks like hessonite/garnet.

The green stones could possibly be tsavorite garnet or tourmaline but I don't think so.

A specific gravity test will help to determine what they are.

Nice stones. :)

Forgot to mention the green ones are polished they look like the red ones when found and they were obtained from the milla milla region

peridot ( olivine )
There in plenty of it below the basalt flows through the table lands.
You can get some garnet there also.

I thought peridot was a lighter green ? But I wouldn't no much about it I find it with heaps of black obsidian then the odd piece is green or red

It seems garnets are very common up that way, but the way you mention black obsidian with green and red pieces makes me wonder if it could be spinel. Could you post a picture with all the different bits of what you are calling obsidian with them front lit instead of the back light?

Here is a piece of green obsidian i have though it has a lot of inclusions.

Conchoidal fracturing is one of the best tells for obsidian (scallop shape like fractures).

The green really comes out, looks awesome shivan :Y: never seen nothing like it :eek:

Latest posts