Sluicing help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hay guys just got a high banker With a 1 m long bottom box. With riffles minors moss and v rubber backing struggling with the riffles blocking up. Tryed more water less water more angle less angle after 3-6 shoves in it blocks up leaving no exposed minors moss the catch the gold . Any help advice would be great

Tough one without photos , lack of water is the usual suspect but not enough slope can do similar, any chance of picture or even tell us what pump and how much water is flowing off the end ?
You need enough water to shift the size of rocks travelling down it .

I do have a video Aussiefarmer not sur how to post it . I am running a 1 1/2 inch pump I started at 16 deg then back to 10 and less

Yeah 8 to 10 degrees slope with no less than 10 mm of water over riffles , make sure riffles are clamped down well, i always used mini expanded mesh over the moss with riffles on top.

gotta be careful with STOP >> START as well, It messes with your fluid bed, and miners moss might as well be cleaned once you stop.

If you look close while it's all running can you see a rolling vortex behind the riffle? You might be surprised, as long as the water flow is right they might look hard packed but if black sand's and other heavies are moving in the vortex the riffles are doing their job, and yeah 16 deg would be blowing gold out. How deep are your riffles and how far apart are they spaced? There is a formula floating around somewhere for optimum performance, I'll have a look for it. Hard to tell without pics/vid.

3-6 shovels does not sound right, what size grizzly's to get an idea of how small it's classifying? Also material will vary from region to region, so gotta dial it in to the gravels, clay and sands you are running.

It sure can take some messing around in the shed and hours of frustration in the field to get them right, even some manufactured ones are not spot on out of the box, some worse than others.

Aussiechris they are 40mm high riffles 90mm apart I do have a video but I can not up load it I will try put it on YouTube and get the link to you no grizzly bars punch plate with 9 mm holes it's manly sand were I am digging and rock

NJH prospecting said:
Aussiechris they are 40mm high riffles 90mm apart I do have a video but I can not up load it I will try put it on YouTube and get the link to you no grizzly bars punch plate with 9 mm holes it's manly sand were I am digging and rock
Can you post a pic of the banker?
You can't post videos here, just put it on youtube and put the link here.
Did you make the banker yourself?
40mm high riffles seems too high.

High wide is your sluice? You're going to need a fair bit of water and velocity to drive those riffles. For shoveling they'd be too tall and commercially the sluice length too short.
Jon

1491298021_img_0325.jpg
the sluice is 320 wide no didn't make its my self it's is from gold sluicing Australia in Sydney

Thanks for sharing :Y: , i reckon set it at 8 deg and double your water , see how you have dead zones between riffles you need to get a dead zone holding onto the back of each riffle about an inch wide, by dead zone i mean ether still water or a void of air.
so it will look like a continuous wavy flow and if you hold a couple of fingers on the riffle you should see the void .
The videos a bit deceiving but i reckon more water :Y:

Thanks a lot for that aussiefarmer I be back out on the weekend I will get a better video and see how I go thanks mate

Yep stay open to suggestions , thats my take on what i saw and i hope it gets you in the right direction . :Y:
Did the supplier give much instruction on water volume like gallons per hour or anything ?

I have watched the video
Tend to agree with aussiefarmer try more water flow maybe open the tap all the way and see what happens
I have a gs12 and run it at about 170lt min if that helps

If that spirit level is showing the banker is level, pick it up take a really firm grip on it and either smash it against a tree or someone's head that you don't like.
Just go by water flow at small low levels, that will show you how level it is, when you start up with a trickle it takes the easy path and is very easy to set it level with this amount of flow.
Increase the overall volume of water till it clears up, it looks a tad light on flow.
A few still shots of that banker would be great.
Where are you located, forum members are very helpful here and will more than likely steer you in the right direction, possibly you could get some first hand advice?

Having punch plate for classification you should have only fine material on the bottom run , so its got to be a flow issue , i agree the water is flowing more on one side than the other , i level by eye aswell the water should run off the end evenly across the whole sluice.
They are big riffles and fairly close together so you will probably catch a fair bit of material anyway.

I found that makers site http://goldsluicingaustralia.com/shop/sluices-2/
Not very good pictures there, but jeeez those riffles look mighty high, you'll need a lot of water in that sucker.
Set it up with a tub catching the material going over the end, you can pan off that to see if anything is getting washed out.
Don't start stop it when running, when you do stop take out the riffles, then the miners moss leaving the ribbed v matt.
There will be other material in there as well as gold (if you found some) you can then gently flow some water through, gently.
You should see the gold against the black v matt. Take note of where it is, high up at the start is great, if you see gold right down the bottom you are likely losing gold.

I know some people don't like riffles over moss and prefer to use expanded mesh over moss.

Latest posts