Is this a meteorite I found?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi... so I was fossicking Mt Crawford SA and stumbled onto this that made my detector scream... I've no idea what it is but it seems to be a rock with an iron layer on one side and some going thru it... And yes a magnet does stick to it. Any ideas?

thanks..
1491210744_img_20170403_184118_812.jpg
1491210765_img_20170403_184107_777.jpg
1491210784_img_20170403_184057_590.jpg

Hmmmm..... I had a closer look but all I see are sparkly minerals... almost looks like a cluster of pink crystal of some sort...

rebeldown said:
Hmmmm..... I had a closer look but all I see are sparkly minerals... almost looks like a cluster of pink crystal of some sort...

Enlarge your last photo looks like gold the other option is to do an SG test if you don't want to dolly it. Do you have a magnifying glass if so use that with a light or on it's own in daylight.

I'm no expert on the SG test others might offer their expertise.

Thanks guys... hmm what's the technique with the magnifying glass? Just a closer look in daylight? I can't see the yellow on it in person... but will have a better look tomorrow. What would be the magnetic iron bit on the surface?

I did find it in an area with much clay.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far..

Enlarged like that reminds me of conglomerate...

If you want the gold,...process the ore,...if you want the specimen,...leave as is....

A specific gravity test will reveal if/how much gold there may be....perhaps that will be the deciding factor (along with your 'need' for $$$)...?

Good luck whichever way you decide.

Gypsy

Well, in all honesty, from my extensive mineral knowledge, based upon having seen plenty of samples in the field......

It's a rock ! :Y:

Nice rock but, AND it may have a bonus in it as stated by more educated people above my post. :D

Ok... thanks everyone... just confused about the magnetic iron content on the sides... unless I'm mistaken and there's a big nugget inside lol

A SG test (IMHO) will do you no good as you don't know the composition of the host rock, and given that it's magnetic (likely Magnetite) with some Haematite and Felsic compounds, it's SG will tell you absolutely nothing about it's Gold content. Again if a multimeter shows conductivity, then you're onto something. Then it's your decision how to proceed.