Minelab Pro Find 25 tips, settings, question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozjono

jonathon
Reaction score
hello i was out having a swing and went to use my pinpointer switched it on and ran it over the area no beaps thought the item must be to deep for it dug up some dirt and tryed again no beaps so tryed it on my screw driver and it was not working turned it on and off about 5 times and test each time and was not working then tryed agian started to work. has any one else come across any thing like this before or do i have a faulty pinpointer , id thought it maybe a low battery but the destrucions say the led 3 times, but the led stayed on, hope its not dodge id hate to be with out it. 8.(

Hi Ozjono. I would say you have a dud pinpointer if it won't even pick up your screw driver. I take it your batteries are all good or else it would just turn itself off.
check that you haven't turned the sensitivity right down. Make sure when you turn it on that it is not near metal. Failing all this you may need to return it for replacement or repair.

I have a pro-find and have not experienced this problem.

AussieTreasureDigger said:
I have that happen sometimes, if you dont hear the 3rd beep on start up, it wont pick anything up.
Yes you are right you don't hear the 3rd beep , still not sure if I should take it back, might give it a few weeks.

Interesting post. I was going to buy one just recently and when the guy turned it on to demo it, it didn't work. He turned it on and of a couple of times before it worked. He had just put a new battery in it too which I saw him do so it wasn't the battery in that case. I decided after seeing that to give it a miss. It didn't exactly impress me.

Apologies - I haven't got enough posts for a link yet!
What I was wondering is, if I was using Wal's HighBanker, could this be used to check the overburden for nuggets or would it be an unnecessary expense?

Cheers........Doug

It would be an unnecessary expense Doug as they only have a range of not much more than 8cm. The tailings from a hi banker soon add up to around 50 cm. Pin pointers are really only good for pinpointing coins to keep your plug as small as possible.

Some buy them to help locate nuggets while detecting, but even these end up staying in the cupboard after a few trips out.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks Wal - this is a great example of where being part of a dedicated group pays dividends. Your reply just saved me $185!

Cheers.......Doug

i think on coins they could work okay but i am disappointed with how poor the range is on mine with small nuggets

0.8 gram nugget gives me a range of only 2 cm :mad:

i might chase coins one day so i will keep mine otherwise fleabay could take it back to god

Minelab PRO-FIND 25 Pinpoint Probe - any users out there?

This is part of the blurb and the bit I find confusing is that it eliminates interference when it (the detector or the pin-pointer???) is switched off. Really?? Something gets switched off and it won't interfere? What does that mean?

Detector Interference Free technology

The advanced design of the PRO-FIND 25 removes false signals and noise, commonly associated with other pinpointers. DIF technology eliminates interference with an operating metal detector, when it is switched off, by disengaging the coil's magnetic field.

Length 9.3 in (237 mm)
Diameter 1.6 in (41 mm) base, 0.8 in (20 mm) probe
Weight with Battery 6.82 oz (193.5 g)
Battery 9 volt PP3 (not included)
Battery Life 30 hours nominal (alkaline battery)
Warranty 24 months

Hi Loamer,

I've got one and so far I must say I am NOT impressed and I don't understand the blurb about being off and not interferring either.

Last weekend I had a loud signal on the 5000 and it was obviously a reasonably large target.
I dug it and got it out of the hole but then it shifted down the hill of the old timers hole I was in.

I was having trouble pinpointing it with the 5000 so I turned on the ProPointer and went through the spoil heap and got no signal. I then asked a friend to pinpoint it with his 5000. He found it in the spoil heap in just a few seconds, it was a large rusty nail, the old hand forged type.

The ProPointer was on throughout the process and there was no interference with either of the two 5000's.

To not be able to locate such a large iron target is ridiculous. I had gone over the same spot it was located in but not a squeak or vibration from the ProPointer.

The ProPointer worked fine in air testing but when it came to working in highly mineralised ground it just didn't work.

Regards,

Grant

Hi most pin pointers are still visible or detectable to your machine even when they are switched off.

I previously had a Garrett and the 5000 could see it when it was in my back pack, especially with a large coil.

The Pro pointer is only detectable by the 5000 when it is close to the coil,

Even when the unit is switched on its more friendly to the 5000 reduced interference.

Easily carried on your belt with no noticeable feedback from your detector.

Regards Stinky

Several things you have to be careful of with the Pro-find: change out the batteries regularly as it tends to chew through them. If it starts falsing, going off no where near metal objects, or doesn't pick up on anything at all, it usually means the battery is not up to running the probe reliably anymore, despite the battery still having a reasonable charge in it. Rechargeables don't last very long in the Profind, better off using decent alkaline batteries, Energizers or Duracells. Don't leave the probe continually running as it will go to the "come find me" mode, only turn it on when you actually need to pinpoint.

Overall, I've been happy with mine, it has done everything asked of it.

Its a great tool in my belt when my mates dont run off with it. No problem with the ace 250 but will see how it goes with the ATX.

Hi Guys,
Not sure about the interference with other detectors, don't have the pleasure of owning one as yet :( , have to stick to the shovel, sluice and pan.
I carry one with me and use it to sweep around unfilled holes that others have left assuming that sooner or later I'll come across an item they've missed (I live in hope).
If they haven't got the brains to fill their holes they just might noy have the brains to double check after a find.
Cheers Tom.

Hello All,

I have a Pro-Find 25 and love it, it allows me to move through a trashy area a lot faster than normal but one thing to try out if you are on iron rich ground.

Pro find owners will know that when they turn the pointer on and try to locate a target they can also get ground noise related to the iron.
To fix this I have learnt to hold the pointer on the ground that is noisy when turned on, while still holding it in that position, turn it off and then back on and it will balance out that ground noise and not the target.

It does work and well, I can pick up led shot @ 75-100mm down on a good day depending on the ground.

Try it next time you are out, works great in the triangle in winter when the ground is wet.

Cheers

Steve

i have one and i am quite disappointed with it

it only signals from a 1 gram nugget from 2 cm away which i think sucks

going to throw that on ebay when i get a mo

( chance i mean - not moustache )

Latest posts