Please Help me Identify these takings as samples from carington Falls

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These are just some samples of what I have which was taken from Carington Falls in the 1970's when it was allowed to fossick there. Can I have some assistance in Identifying these Photo's please. thank you PS I was about 10 yrs old during this time. What I think they are, but never confirmed are red zircons I think, then green saphires, Blue saphires, quartz crystals, star saphires. My last Pic or it could be the first is part of my entire Collection. let me know what you think. Thanks.

1491008898_imag2191.jpg

1491008747_imag2187.jpg

1491008747_imag2188.jpg

1491008747_imag2189.jpg

1491008747_imag2190.jpg

1491008747_imag2192.jpg

well, I don't really know what to do with them, except for look at them. i'm trying to separate them all and maybe/eventually take them to the local lapidary club at FairyMeadow, unless someone on here advises me differently. Any and all advice is appreciated.

thanks

Its a nice collection you have there and i think you are probably spot on with your identification.
What would you like to do with them? There seem like there would be a few cutters. Would you like to learn to cut/polish or just want them done?

If you are near Fairy Meadow then Towradgi would be your local lapidary club, the faceting class is Thursday morning till lunch from memory. I am there most Mondays, morning till lunch cabbing.

I thought they are to small for anything, many have been tumbled already, and I think the bigger pieces I remember dad saying that there are too many hairline cracks in them. which ones are worth doing anything with? I Think i'd sell them rather than get them worked on, I'm not really into cutting and or polishing them

I might come see you Monday about 9:30 to 10am, I'll bring all my separated Red stones so you can see them and advise. Its the old Shed between fairy meadow and Balgownie isn't it? on the sea side of the street near a creek from memory.

thanks

Carrington was a great spot for digging, mind you, officially it was never allowed but it was tolerated. It was during one of the long dry spells when the water dried up, some people started taking their wash home in box trailers. Soon after that it was banned. I used to be up there sometimes twice a week digging away, still have my sieves from that time and some of the gems.

I don't remember it ever drying up, but I do recall people taking dirt home on trailers, there were Hundreds of Holes everywhere and most people were down deeper than themselves. everyone picnic'd there walk over the shallow creek bridge where hundreds of tiny shiny red stones covered the bottom of the creek, then you would walk over mountains of dirt and tried not to fall in anyone's hole. I also remember going back after it was closed and it was all overgrown, dad and I snuck through some wire and the whole area was overgrown with those long grass that cut your hands if you pull on the leaves (learn't a valuable lesson as a kid) but those wholes were all still there and looked like unearthed graves. dad and I dug a little but we got scared of by some shooters. and so we never returned again, except to look at the falls and to wonder why it all closed down. So many Europeans frequented this spot, especially on weekends with Children everywhere. Oh well good to see there are others here that remember the past.

The red stones do seem to be tumbled, the majority may be too small, but there could be a few cutters, hard to tell from the photo.
Happy to have a look on Monday for you, sounds like you know the place. Just ask for Ian, i will probably be in the grinding room at the back of the hall.

Ausclaud said:
I don't remember it ever drying up, but I do recall people taking dirt home on trailers, there were Hundreds of Holes everywhere and most people were down deeper than themselves. everyone picnic'd there walk over the shallow creek bridge where hundreds of tiny shiny red stones covered the bottom of the creek, then you would walk over mountains of dirt and tried not to fall in anyone's hole. I also remember going back after it was closed and it was all overgrown, dad and I snuck through some wire and the whole area was overgrown with those long grass that cut your hands if you pull on the leaves (learn't a valuable lesson as a kid) but those wholes were all still there and looked like unearthed graves. dad and I dug a little but we got scared of by some shooters. and so we never returned again, except to look at the falls and to wonder why it all closed down. So many Europeans frequented this spot, especially on weekends with Children everywhere. Oh well good to see there are others here that remember the past.

"So many Europeans frequented this spot, especially on weekends", Yep and it was some of those Europeans, mainly from the Wollongong area that were the ones that took their wash home in their box trailers.

I think they were from Sydney as My family who frequented the local Italian club did not socialize with many of the people that were there. No one we knew even had a box trailer, Don't, its all in the past now anyway.

the red stones I pictured above, they are definite zircons? Just thinking about garnets, I know there are no Rubies, I might just look up garnets to see what they look like.

thanks

Latest posts