Detecting around Perth Western Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Well I finally took the plunge and bought myself a detector. Up until now i have been 100% focused on my photography and fishing but i have always had an interest in metal detecting.
I wasnt sure to get into full blown gold hunting with a GPX or sdc unit or get into relic & coin hunting but i realised i wouldnt get out bush enough for a good gpx etc so after a lot of research i came up with the x terra 705 duel pack. I know the gold coil side of it wont compare to a gpx or sdc but Im sure it will still find nuggets close to the surface. My only problem might be is how mineralised our WA ground is.
Well I took the machine out for the first time and wow, some nice finds strait away!.
I took a long bush walk to a known location where a famous bush ranger (moondine joe) camped out while on the run .
In a section of about 60m x 60m i found all these very old black powder 1840's-1860's .577 snider Enfield shells. Total of around 30 of them

I showed the museum and they were over the moon and asked if they could have them for a display. I gave them about 10 and kept the rest :)

Any chance of a photo of the shells Tailormarc? Good luck and have fun with the 705.Look forward to seeing more of your finds.

Eldorado said:
Any chance of a photo of the shells Tailormarc? Good luck and have fun with the 705.Look forward to seeing more of your finds.

Yep no problems. I just have tp wait till i clock over 20 posts before it will allow a link to show pics :(

golddiggerart said:
Nice well done on the finds and for giving some to the Museum.... :)

Thanks mate! Only problem was they asked if i could not detect the area as they now want to get acheologists in to mark all the finds they get (

golddiggerart said:

Thanks , yep it felt good and now will be on display and preserved for all to see

tailormarc said:
golddiggerart said:

Thanks mate! Only problem was they asked if i could not detect the area as they now want to get acheologists in to mark all the finds they get (

They asked you but that doesn't mean you can't go back there, unless it is Heritage Listed there is nothing they can do to stop you.

golddiggerart said:
tailormarc said:
golddiggerart said:

They asked you but that doesn't mean you can't go back there, unless it is Heritage Listed there is nothing they can do to stop you.

Exactly.... Went back already haha

Or, ask them that you be the official detectorist for the dig in return for no more detecting in the meantime. ;) :Y:

Yeah did that but they said they need pros with gps markers etc to document everything correctly. I said i can do that. Little to they know i found an ancient aboriginal site dated to 15,000yrs old in the Pilbara. Marked it on gps and im now listed as the descoverer and i got to name the site and im down in history with D.I.A :)

Some pics here.. https://marcrussoamazingadventures....ustralia-my-ancient-archaeological-descovery/

Your well over the required posts to post pictures now mate...Would love to see some pics of your finds at the bush rangers camp :Y:

This is the 1902 half penny. Buried for over 100yrs in great condition...
vq1xm0.jpg

14kiseu.jpg

I gave it a good clean up and it now look absolutly magic one big problem is i bloody lost it somewhere at home. Ive been looking all last night an cant find it. Time to turn the house upsuide down this weekend. Has to be there somewhere

Very nice ring mate, the other finds are cool as well but the ring outshines them...lol :)

And that ancient Aboriginal site is amazing well done on the find and being credited for it....The museum will undoubtedly credit you for any finds they make as well? :)

Latest posts