Alluvial beach gold Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of any beaches in Victoria, preferably east of melbourne that contain gold? or else does anyone know of any black/grey sand beaches that i can do some sampling?

KeeponDiggin said:
Research is the key bro ?
You know it.
with a bit of help, a bit of reading and a bit of sampling ive found the spot. next trick will be figuring out how i manage waterflow. thinking about using a recirculating bilge pump for the first banker run.

I believe beach gold was found at Sandy Point/Waratah Bay (but I reckon you'd be digging a really big wet muddy deep hole). Foster was the site of a rush in the 1860s with alluvial and quartz mining and also Turtons Creek in the same area for alluvial.

G'Day

This is from memory only but as far as I know the only true beach gold was mined briefly near Wallaga on the south coast of NSW and on one of the offshore islands off the far north Queensland coast. The black sand on all east coast beaches is primarily ilmenite and a little magnetite eroded from granites.

Araluen

SWright said:
G'Day

This is from memory only but as far as I know the only true beach gold was mined briefly near Wallaga on the south coast of NSW and on one of the offshore islands off the far north Queensland coast. The black sand on all east coast beaches is primarily ilmenite and a little magnetite eroded from granites.

Araluen

There is fine alluvial to be got at Waratah Bay - I saw pics posted on a forum not more than 2 years ago. You wont get rich, you get bragging rights only :D

300 said:
Google gold on Gold Coast Beach, Ian not convinced with this one.

Me neither, unlike Victorian and WA finds i find it curious that the QLD media doesn't beat it up a bit and focus on gold weight and gold value :/ 'tis a bit suss I reckon.

On another topic, how are the seasonal hotel occupancy figures on the coast atm - no particular reason for asking, just curious ;)

The guy said he could see it on top off the sand,well I've found a few gold rings on the beach but yet to see one sitting on top off dry sand.

You are correct. :) :)
Montreall Gold Fields.
There was beach gold mined there with some of them
buried under the back of the beach when a drive caved
in.

SWright said:
G'Day

Araluen

Yes Waratah Bay, also south from Cann River (a bit further west), and a number of beaches along the southeast NSW coast. Mostly very fine and sparse.

Latest posts