Canberra region information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, Bit of a new guy here :)

I'm a long time collector of various rocks,gemstones..ect but recently got interested in the idea of panning for gold ( I think I've caught the bug.. )

I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion or two of where to start looking, In and around Canberra?
I'm also looking at possibly going to Wee Jasper sometime soon to try my luck up that way, Any particular spot I should look out for?

Any advice is welcome!

- Nick

Drive to Wee Jasper. Cross the bridge over the river. At the junction turn left. Drive along until the turn to Tumut. Drive past the camping reserve up the dirt road and follow the map.

There is not enough water for a Highbanker. It is not a Highbanker zone. You need to expect blackberries and the insects can be bad at times. Best thing actually is to fill up on some buckets of dirt and take them down to the main camping area where you can pan away at the creek in comfort. The gold is very chunky and you need to puddle it out. Camping is about $7-$8 a night.

No fuel at Wee Jasper.

Sapphires there as well. Wal & Liz know all about that.

1371390461_wee_jasper_2.jpg

Welcome to the forum Berra gold,

I to am a newby and looking for sites in and around Canberra.
I'm launching a solo mission to Wee Jasper this coming Sunday if your interested (I only have half an idea and some basic gear).
My vehicle is a bit of a hazard but there is a spot available in it, leaving Canberra early Sunday 23rd June (6:00am latest) and coming home that afternoon.
I have a partial idea on how to handle the blackberries (Landscaper) but it isn't going to be pretty.

Thanks Redmanti!

I've definitely had my fair share of blackberries.. I've done a lot of spraying and cutting back along railway lines, Massive PITA! :rolleyes:

Good to see I'm not alone CapnWheato lol
I'll have to give this one a miss but I'll be going down there possibly in the next few weekends so I'll make sure to give you a shout, Hopefully by then I'll have some equipment.

Let me know how you go!

Redmanti said:
Drive to Wee Jasper. Cross the bridge over the river. At the junction turn left. Drive along until the turn to Tumut. Drive past the camping reserve up the dirt road and follow the map.

There is not enough water for a Highbanker. It is not a Highbanker zone. You need to expect blackberries and the insects can be bad at times. Best thing actually is to fill up on some buckets of dirt and take them down to the main camping area where you can pan away at the creek in comfort. The gold is very chunky and you need to puddle it out. Camping is about $7-$8 a night.

No fuel at Wee Jasper.

Sapphires there as well. Wal & Liz know all about that.

Hello Redmanti, I have been thinking about visiting Wee Jasper for a while. Just wondering if the state forest can be accessed by 2 wheel drive or will i need the 4wd. I'm a 6 month old prospector and haven't been to many places yet.. Looks good out there, been watching Wal & Liz a bit.. and others.. Would love to find some saphires.

Cheers Waz

Only need a 2wd Waz, Bit of dirt road but it's all weather road. Not the best spot any more as the blackberries have completely taken over....Best of luck out there mate. :(

Cheers Wal.

Thanks Wal. Just have to say that your videos are great and have helped me heaps. I subscribe to your channel to catch every new post.

Waz :)

Glad you found some of them interesting mate. Hope to add a few more during our WA trip. Hope you find a few nuggets while we're away....

Cheers Wal,

Just make sure you get a prospecting license from NSW Forest. ($20)

http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visiting/activities/fossicking

There are quite a few other places near Canberra. State Forest I think is the best bet due to access.

Shoalhaven River pretty much all of it. Oallen Ford is popular.

There is data information from the forum's resources of location points that you see. If you use the nsw lands department maps SixLite http://six.maps.nsw.gov.au/terms/acceptTerms.html then you can see if you can match the Google Earth points on the forum.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11
https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?...-32.805745,146.359863&spn=11.016744,14.128418

SixLite will show you if the road is 4WD or 2WD and if the location is on private land.

I don't think any of us can simply cover the ground and locations where there is gold for panning. Too many to list.

I live in canberra to so this is very intresting to me thanks for your posts guys very helpful. P.S I may be intrested in coming to wee jasper in the near future so keep me in mind.

Redmanti & Wal&Liz - Do you really need to take out public Liability insurance to $20mil? my liability insurance is only valid inside of ACT and is only $10mil... and I work on commercial & government projects or is this an N/A answer?
Cheers.

CapnWheato said:
Redmanti & Wal&Liz - Do you really need to take out public Liability insurance to $20mil? my liability insurance is only valid inside of ACT and is only $10mil... and I work on commercial & government projects or is this an N/A answer?
Cheers.

LOL website looks to be linking to the wrong application form. For holding motor rally events from the looks of it.

Just call them on the phone. Try the Tumut office. They will do it over the phone.

CapnWheato said:
Cheers.

You don't need public liability insurance for the permit.

Cheers Wal,

That is good news, to increase to $20mil, in ACT... not too bad, to extend to state forest without fair trading licence for non commercial use $$$$$, big bucks for my current insurer.

Just got mine 2 weeks back, very easy process all done
via email after a quick call. Insurance is only for large
events.

They mainly just want name and address, a general
discription of your activity, areas you intend to go
and 20 bucks which is very reasonable.

Hi Guys, sorry for the distraction.
Back to the topic at hand, my former employer and friend lives on the murrumbidgee side of the monaro hwy and showed me just how much gold was in the river after flood, his land backs on to what he describes as the MAGIC bend of the river. I can't give away his location but I can share that it is just south of Michelago. also see this link https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11
some great info on this forum.

Well my pan showed up today in the mail! ;)

Depending how the weather goes this weekend I might be heading up that way, I shall report back if I get any colour!

Just looking at Bredbo and the western side of Lake George has placer deposits.

Anyone worked those areas?

hi every1,,,, just a quick note,,, to my knowledge it is against all regulations to have a swing in Canberra ???, well was just wondering if any1 could tell me why would a detectorist be working and seen many times in a nature reserve, this is on the north side of Canberra, 2kms from Higgins,,,,, I am lost for words,,,, no brains? no care factor? or just plain ignorant???? I am wondering what the penalty would be if he or she was to be before the courts?:L(

They are probably not prospecting and just detecting coins/relics, have never heard before that its illegal to use a detector in Canberra. I have only seen one person prosecuted in recent years and that was a the dill who dug holes all over the footy oval in Victoria. I think he got a $800 fine.

DD