Puddling?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I,m doing a fair bit of panning in Northeast Vic and usually pick up a fair bit of clay in the gravel. It goes straight from the bucket to classifyer and pan with everything else without much thought. I,m thinking I could be losing gold. Is it sufficient to stir the concentrates or is this not enough? Cheers

Must break it up, if I'm getting enough clay where I'm getting gold I'll put it aside and take it home in a bucket, when home I fill bucket about 1/4 - 1/3 clay and fill the rest with water, get a paint stirrer that attaches to a drill and it makes light work of it, all clay dissolved in about 5-10 mins then you can pan it out at home, simple :Y:

This may help. cheers Jemba

1489703333_1.jpg

1489703370_2.jpg

1489703396_3.jpg

1489703423_4.jpg

Getting gold : an ABC of prospecting in Australia explaining in simple, non-technical language, the methods of getting gold by means of panning, cradling, puddling, dollying, sluicing, etc. / by Fossicker.

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/156878

Thanks for the advice, everyone. The only thing that concerns me is the practicality of separating the clay from everything else in the bucket.

What IsThisGold said ... Paint stirrer on a drill and just mush it up. Just keep adding more water and throwing the silt an crap down the banker or sluice. Takes no extra effort.

Latest posts