Gday from wopie.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI. I'm about to start fossicking. I going to start digging at a few old gold mines at the back of woolgoolga in state forests. I would like to know some information on a couple of questions. Firstly, am I'm allowed to search the creek areas and some old tunnels and shafts. These areas are all located in state forests. Secodly is there any geo maps available for this area. Ill be using a minelab xt1700 detector and doing some panning. I have got alot to learn as im new to fossicking. Any advice would be helpfully.

Thanks for relying. I'm at woolgoolga nsw. North of coffs harbour. Do I get the liscence from state forests nsw ?. Iv found a couple of new shafts from my mate who is a logger. He nearly lost his log skidder down a couple of horizontal shafts.he is a third generation logger and his family never new these shafts were there. I'll have a search this weekend and post my findings. Cheers

Ok I will be "that guy" firstly welcome to our group here on PA, so much that can be learnt from the exceptional guys and gals here and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Now to "that guy" part, you mention tunnels and shafts and going in them, please for your own safety don't go into them, they do collapse with little to no warning, especially if you are unsure of the sites condition, if you are going to venture into them and I will be honest I have and probably will again there are some potential deadly gasses/fumes that can accumulate in shafts and tunnels, some you won't know are there until it is to late unless you have the gear to detect it, if and when you do go into them at least have someone with you preferably on the surface keeping an eye on you incase things don't go to plan, not trying to scare you or be the "big man" just looking out for a fellow prospector cause we all need to look out for one another other than that welcome again
Cheers
Jamie

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm now liscenced to start exploring. I just did it online on the forestry cooperation site $27.50 a year and my family are covered under this one permit to. I had to print my permit out as they don't send a copy. Very easy and quick. Once again thanks. Might have a sickie tomorrow and start exploring. Cheers

Thanks jamie. Might take your advice and have a look around the midens at the shafts. The bloke that showed me one of the tunnels took me in a long time ago. We put garbage bags on our feet up over our knees as the bat poo was up to knee high in places. The little train rails are still there under the poo.the tunnel goes over a hundred meters in. The vertical shafts are above the end of the tunnel. I guess someone decided it would be another way to find the vain under the mountain. Near the end of the tunnel after we pushed the bats out. Was the vain of quartz they were chasing. There was gold visible in the vain. But it was worring as there was a charge left in the wall at the end of the tunnel. He could not tell me why the miners never returned to this tunnel.

Bluecurrant said:
Thanks jamie. Might take your advice and have a look around the midens at the shafts. The bloke that showed me one of the tunnels took me in a long time ago. We put garbage bags on our feet up over our knees as the bat poo was up to knee high in places. The little train rails are still there under the poo.the tunnel goes over a hundred meters in. The vertical shafts are above the end of the tunnel. I guess someone decided it would be another way to find the vain under the mountain. Near the end of the tunnel after we pushed the bats out. Was the vain of quartz they were chasing. There was gold visible in the vain. But it was worring as there was a charge left in the wall at the end of the tunnel. He could not tell me why the miners never returned to this tunnel.

Hey man any updates on this?? I grew up around woopi and have just moved back to the area really interested in panning some gold around the area have you had any luck? and would you be interested in showing where some of these mines are would love to see some photos? I know of a few myself in the area aswell I plan on exploring very soon!

Bluecurrant said:

Hey man any updates on this?? I grew up around woopi and have just moved back to the area really interested in panning some gold around the area have you had any luck? and would you be interested in showing where some of these mines are would love to see some photos? I know of a few myself in the area aswell I plan on exploring very soon!

Very interesting indeed, I'm just up north at Dirty Creek.

Have you made many interesting finds?

Cheers.

Latest posts