You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

rios
08 March 2017 01:51 pm

I am starting a new gold mining project in Zimbabwe. I have contacted a Geologist and Geophysicist who did a Magnetic Survey on the target area. He also did a Resistivity and I.P. Survey. No other method was used and one has to dig 8 meters into mudstone to get to rocks of any kind as there are no out-crops. There are people mining near the area and his interpretations were also based on information he got from shafts dug by the other people nearby.
He tells me to be more sure it would be prudent to diamond-core-drill ten 60 meter holes along the target area which would cost US$48,000 at US$80/meter.
If I sink one 60-meter shaft in one of the positions identified by the surveys, it would cost me less than $20,000 to do so including buying the equipment and paying laborers.
As an artisanal miner would it not make sense for me just sink a shaft and hope, because generally, people mining within 200-meter radius of this area are getting very high yields of gold, more than 100g/ton sometimes? The hope would be the reef is basically the same as it is the same greenstone belt.

rios
08 March 2017 01:55 pm

Please note i am not looking for investors, i am asking for advice, genuinely only advice. My last post was locked by admin on the basis the platform is not for soliciting for money. To me, this was unjust, as i never asked for anyone's money nor am i now

rios
08 March 2017 02:05 pm

1488942288_20170308_050228.jpgI could have attached the results of the magnetic, resistivity and isurvey'sone done but unfortunately i dont have 10 posts yet.

rios
08 March 2017 02:11 pm

1488942716_screenshot_20170308-050828.jpg

Last edited by rios (08 March 2017 02:12 pm)

rios
08 March 2017 02:12 pm

1488942766_screenshot_20170308-050949.jpg

B5MECH
08 March 2017 02:16 pm

I apologize on behalf of PA smile thumbsup we get alot of scams here wink
The hope bit could be expensive, I'm no pro and not sure, but can you find a cheaper way to drop some test holes, second hand unit or maybe a rental
Probably not the type of area that gear would be easy to get, how about a loan machine from another mining company?

A Crystal Ball....a Magic Wand....a Weegie Board....two Dowsing Rods
..............................And lots of Bee's.................................

3 users like this post: BigWave, aussiefarmer, Jaros

rios
08 March 2017 02:30 pm

B5MECH wrote:

I apologize on behalf of PA smile thumbsup we get alot of scams here wink
The hope bit could be expensive, I'm no pro and not sure, but can you find a cheaper way to drop some test holes, second hand unit or maybe a rental
Probably not the type of area that gear would be easy to get, how about a loan machine from another mining company?

Would it be mad of me to just sink a 60m shaft and explore along the the way down? Crazy as it seems, doing that is not that expensive.

B5MECH
08 March 2017 02:44 pm

I don't know how to read the maps, but If you were close to the spot and could chase the gold in any direction, then definitely
Miners have done it that way for ever and chase the reef underground
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HN-Ltjorbk
If the payload is there and your on the money then hell yeah, they just keep chasing the gold cool thumbsup
I'm no miner but someone will pipe in with more knowledge
As long as it's there you'll find it

A Crystal Ball....a Magic Wand....a Weegie Board....two Dowsing Rods
..............................And lots of Bee's.................................

Heatho
08 March 2017 03:16 pm

Hopefully some answers start rolling in for you Rios, it's work hours here at the moment, hopefully any miners here can answer some questions for you tonight.

Cheers

Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Equinox 800, patience, lot's of patience.

3 users like this post: Brother, B5MECH, aussiefarmer

Brother
08 March 2017 03:19 pm

Gday Rios, I cant help but see the word (hope) in there a few times!

That hope, could cost a lot! 20k a pop? what if its a bad spot or they miss it by a few feet and so on??
I would go for 5-10 small drill holes and be sure where it is and how much there is!
Also how long will it take for the results of said tests? Core samples will need Proper chemical tests for full report on gpt grades and other viable minerals.
Knowledge is priceless, I would not go cheap on it.

Then plan to start at the best of those test holes, to get your funds back as quick as possible.
That's just me mate, Good luck.

3 pans, 2 sluice, 3 HIbanker, 1 Garrett AT Gold and no more time for dreaming!

1 user likes this post: Simmo

rios
08 March 2017 04:01 pm

Brother wrote:

Gday Rios, I cant help but see the word (hope) in there a few times!

That hope, could cost a lot! 20k a pop? what if its a bad spot or they miss it by a few feet and so on??
I would go for 5-10 small drill holes and be sure where it is and how much there is!
Also how long will it take for the results of said tests? Core samples will need Proper chemical tests for full report on gpt grades and other viable minerals.
Knowledge is priceless, I would not go cheap on it.

Then plan to start at the best of those test holes, to get your funds back as quick as possible.
That's just me mate, Good luck.

Hope eternal

Urmm cost per pop isnt 20k as such as that 20k included capital equipment like compressor and jackhammers and water pump and enviromental impact assessment certificate, eg I bought a kaeser 185 cfm for 8k pre-owned 2015 compressor, wilden diaphragm pump for 2,3k new

The cost of sinking a shaft would be about 5k, labour being cheap, timber freely available. Explosives would be the major operating cost driver.

I am placing a bet here.

Its

1. i spend 12k maybe for two 60m core holes and either get good samples or not get, with the chance that the drill can miss the target anyway

2. I sink a shaft for 5k or so and explore the underground as i go and either score or fail to score

Tathradj
08 March 2017 04:31 pm

In your case I would go for option 1.
It would gain you a lot of Kudo's with the locals being able to offer work and income for them.
So what you have bought in equipment is worth more than the labour to put down a 60 meter
or close to a 200 foot shaft. ?

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.

rios
08 March 2017 06:02 pm

Tathradj wrote:

In your case I would go for option 1.
It would gain you a lot of Kudo's with the locals being able to offer work and income for them.
So what you have bought in equipment is worth more than the labour to put down a 60 meter
or close to a 200 foot shaft. ?

Option 1 being drilling? That definitely would not employ any local. Did you mean option 2?

Yes the equipment is worth more than the cost of putting down a 60m shaft.

Tathradj
08 March 2017 06:36 pm

Oops,
I meant option 2. Sorry.
Sink a shaft then drive.
That way you have not gone to considerable expense.
True, Drilling is more expensive and not as time consuming.
Also depends on how much you trust the Data that has been collected.
That I would call an educated guess.
At least the risk's are lowered.

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.

2 users like this post: Chewy, B5MECH

BigWave
08 March 2017 06:37 pm

Hey rios, B5MECH offered apologies on behalf of PA, and so do I. Yours looks the genuine article, but we have seen so many attempted rip-offs here. We prospectors may not be the "sharpest tools in the shed", but due to the nature of the business, we're always on the watch for scams and watch each other's backs. We wish you good luck with your venture. I'll enjoy following your quest for as long as you post.

GPX-4500 & Direction Finding Daughter

3 users like this post: B5MECH, aussiefarmer, Jaros

7.62marksman
Banned
Banned
08 March 2017 06:38 pm

as above mate ops ops ops

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), Non Turbo 2.8lt Hilux (Turtle), NAPFA member ----Even a broken clock is right twice a day

4 users like this post: BigWave, B5MECH, aussiefarmer, Jaros

rios
08 March 2017 07:26 pm

Tathradj wrote:

Oops,
I meant option 2. Sorry.
Sink a shaft then drive.
That way you have not gone to considerable expense.
True, Drilling is more expensive and not as time consuming.
Also depends on how much you trust the Data that has been collected.
That I would call an educated guess.
At least the risk's are lowered.

I think subliminally that's all I wanted to hear. we all got to try something at some point

2 users like this post: Chewy, B5MECH

rios
08 March 2017 07:28 pm

BigWave wrote:

Hey rios, B5MECH offered apologies on behalf of PA, and so do I. Yours looks the genuine article, but we have seen so many attempted rip-offs here. We prospectors may not be the "sharpest tools in the shed", but due to the nature of the business, we're always on the watch for scams and watch each other's backs. We wish you good luck with your venture. I'll enjoy following your quest for as long as you post.

Thanx hey its all good

3 users like this post: Chewy, NeilM, B5MECH

DropBear
08 March 2017 08:33 pm

Sorry bud! You just sounded like another scammer. smile

Glad you are legit.

2 users like this post: aussiefarmer, Jaros

cml
08 March 2017 10:29 pm

Rios,
having read your more detailed explanation, it looks like you weren't comparing apples with apples - you are actually comparing drilling 10 holes at about $4,800 ea with digging one shaft at about $5,000 (the equipment is bought, and you've still incurred that cost regardless of what you choose)

You could dig your shaft, find little or nothing, move on a bit, dig another, rinse and repeat until you 'hopefully' find something. Do that 9.6 times and you would have been better off drilling (though you do have your shaft should you hit something right then...) On the other hand, drill holes are easier and cheaper to cap than useless shafts ...

By the way, you commented about explosives being a determining factor - are you aware of ANFO?

Chris

Last edited by cml (08 March 2017 10:29 pm)

1 user likes this post: Simmo

Simmo
08 March 2017 10:47 pm

Defo on core sample holes.
Far out, the pro's do it that way, why change the recipe?
Mate you might hit it on core bore 3, then do a shaft.... winner winner!!!

I dunno, if your graphs are aligned then I'd start drilling north, then head south/south west, feather the hot zone.

I'm no pro either mind you, especially with hard rock stuff....

Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.

2 users like this post: Brother, HeadsUp

blisters
08 March 2017 11:00 pm

That top pic is looking good with the offset bulge in alignment of the workings you must be happy with that. Looking at the second mag image did the geophysicist mention anything about the linear feature that heads to the start of RS2? That area looks like it could be a fault and a dyke's running in the south east.

Is there a specific requirement for a core that is not met by other drilling methods like percussion that would bring the hole cost down and/or increase your hole count?

Drilling verses shaft I guess it depends on the chance of missing the target which would depend on how deep the reef would go and the length. I'd guess you have a promising 25m width target to hit in RS3 if so it'd be hard to miss at 50m depth? I reckon after you're digging around for a while in a hole you might be thinking about drilling again.

I'd drill the best targets with a few holes and reassess, I assume the geophysist/geologist advised from where and what angle to drill? If something looks promising on drill results at least you can sink your shaft with that knowledge. Is the reef associated with sulphides?

Jon

rios
09 March 2017 12:13 am

cml wrote:

Rios,
having read your more detailed explanation, it looks like you weren't comparing apples with apples - you are actually comparing drilling 10 holes at about $4,800 ea with digging one shaft at about $5,000 (the equipment is bought, and you've still incurred that cost regardless of what you choose)

You could dig your shaft, find little or nothing, move on a bit, dig another, rinse and repeat until you 'hopefully' find something. Do that 9.6 times and you would have been better off drilling (though you do have your shaft should you hit something right then...) On the other hand, drill holes are easier and cheaper to cap than useless shafts ...

By the way, you commented about explosives being a determining factor - are you aware of ANFO?

Chris

I wouldn't say I know ANFO, at least I am not familiar with it. I would need to find out from those who know plus also find out why small miners are using dynamites instead of just mixing the common Ammonium Nitrate (common fertilizer here) with everyday diesel. Would you happen to know?

rios
09 March 2017 12:28 am

Simmo wrote:

Defo on core sample holes.
Far out, the pro's do it that way, why change the recipe?
Mate you might hit it on core bore 3, then do a shaft.... winner winner!!!

I dunno, if your graphs are aligned then I'd start drilling north, then head south/south west, feather the hot zone.

I'm no pro either mind you, especially with hard rock stuff....

Simmo exploration, exploration, there is a limit to what small miners can do, we draw the line somewhere but I do hear your point on drilling.

What wrong with sinking shaft north and driving underground south west-ward?

rios
09 March 2017 12:52 am

blisters wrote:

That top pic is looking good with the offset bulge in alignment of the workings you must be happy with that. Looking at the second mag image did the geophysicist mention anything about the linear feature that heads to the start of RS2? That area looks like it could be a fault and a dyke's running in the south east.

Is there a specific requirement for a core that is not met by other drilling methods like percussion that would bring the hole cost down and/or increase your hole count?

Drilling verses shaft I guess it depends on the chance of missing the target which would depend on how deep the reef would go and the length. I'd guess you have a promising 25m width target to hit in RS3 if so it'd be hard to miss at 50m depth? I reckon after you're digging around for a while in a hole you might be thinking about drilling again.

I'd drill the best targets with a few holes and reassess, I assume the geophysist/geologist advised from where and what angle to drill? If something looks promising on drill results at least you can sink your shaft with that knowledge. Is the reef associated with sulphides?

Jon

The beginning of RS2 I cant put too much faith in the mag because there is a fence running there, would it not give rise to what you are seeing, what you thought might be a fault? Its a farm boundary fence, a big fence in fact. I could email you the uncut report in full maybe you would make more sense of?

My other challenge with drilling would be the chance of missing the target? These positions were located using GPS which has a margin of error of, is it 5m? If you look at the way RS3 intersects that mag-identified linear target structure, it wasn't really at 90 degrees, thats why the IP shows a 25m target. To reduce the gps error margin, I was thinking of doing one more IP survey line where RS3 and RS2 meet but this time perpendicular to the mag structure. I wouldn't even plot using gps, I would use on-the-ground distance measured by the distances between the electrodes.

The reef is associated with sulfides, yes. Below is the gold bearing ore from current mining activity

1488981084_ore.jpg

Last edited by rios (09 March 2017 01:08 am)

3 users like this post: Chewy, B5MECH, Hunting the yellow

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site