Camping in Whipstick Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, Just after a bit of advice from Bendigo locals. Will be heading down for a week or so of detecting and will be camping in the camper which is set up well. I usually camp in the bush away from camping areas and other people - much quieter that way. I haven't been in that area before and am a little confused with the Bendigo National park being in the middle of all the other parks.
Which areas are no go areas for metal detecting and am I allowed to set up camp anywhere in the area or do I have to camp in the designated camp areas? I've been planning to head in from Huntly. Looking forward to the trip, thought I'd try somewhere different this time and it cut my travel time by almost 2 hours which is more time swinging.
Thanks in advance
Chriso :)

Chriso there are 2 camping spots with drop toilets I have camped there before had no troubles .I just had a quick look at john tully map of the whipsticks there are spots marked no prospecting ,I am shore if you contact the forestry what ever they call them selves now they will have maps on the whipsticks good luck regards john :)

Thanks John, Had a look at my Doug Stone map and it doesn't say there's any no go areas as far as I can see. I found the dedicated camping areas but was more interested in finding out if I have to use them or if I can camp anywhere. I free camp mostly with solar setup and pretty well self sufficient.
Chriso :)

Tried to insert but the file exceeded the site's upload limit, if you google "Bendigo prospecting map" you can download the map from parkweb.vic.gov.au that will show you where you can and can't prospect. Also has the main camp grounds.

G'day ched66 I live right on the edge of the whipstick in Eaglehawk and detect in the whipstick all the time huge area with lots of diggings I see people camped in the bush and the camp spots all the time I think you just need to pick the spot and go for it lots of junk but nuggets as well just need to persist I think it's because of the population when gold rush was on I'm sure you will find some yellow all the best cheers Muk

Thanks Muk that's all I needed to know. Just wasn't sure about the National park rules for camping. Junk goes with the hobby mate, I could start a junkyard with the crap I've dug up....... :|

Latest posts