Which is Better

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Pajero was the 2500 Diesel with 67,000 ks on the clock, And I had it about a month and I had just started a new job and I had to work a month in hand, I was on my way to work doing overtime early on a sunday morning and I had it booked in to get the cam belt changed on the following Thursday and the little devil snapped, It was a newly imported on from Japan with every possible extra on it being the Exceed Model, so that ended up at the wreckers, Bought it for about 6.5k and sold it for 300 bucks, It's a shame because it was like new, not a mark on it.

They sell the Maloo and the Monaro over here, I don't like UK cars, In OZ I had my own panel shop and my own mechanical workshop so I was always building V8's for people,

The landrovers are a pain too, the TD5 has a little "O"ring that seals the fuel system to the sensor and if it goes it sucks diesel up in to the sensor and shorts it out and then you end up with computer problems,

The Landrover Freelander is a real dog, I had the top of the line 2002, 2 litre petrol model and the overflow bottle split anyway it did the head gaskit in so 3500 bucks later I got it back and within 2000 miles it died again, when they changed the head gaskit the never checked the Valves and where it had over heated it had managed to bend a valve on number 3 cylinder, seeing as It all had just been fixed, I never though it could be the valves, Landrover said it was dirty fuel or a blocked fuel pump , well the fuel pump in those is under the driverside rear passengers seat under a plate and the whole unit sits in the fuel tank, So First I swapped the filter in the pump that didn't help and then I changed the whole pump and then all the injectors, and everything that Landrover said it was Was wrong, so I thought bugga this and gave it a compression test, Sure enough all the others were reading about 270 psi and number 3 was reading 132 psi, so again I phoned the wreckers to come and get it, That only had 56,000 miles on the clock too and that engine is a 2 litre Honda motor, The later models had a BMW engine in them, but what ever you do don't touch the freelanders with the 1.8 or the 2.0 litre motors in them because they are the same engines/Blocks but they are junk, Landrover knew that it was the overflow bottles causing this yet they did not recall any of the cars to fix the problem, they just let people run in to strife and then sell them a replacement overflow bottle. Damn thing was just on it's second set of Tyres too, they hadn't done 3000 miles yet.,

Landcruiser are not an option here because they don't import the Troopy's over here and they only way you can get one is if it is what they call "A Grey Import" which is an excuse for the insurance companies to rip you off and the Toyota Dealers won't fix them because they did not make any money because it was imported, So I asked them well considering these vehicles are made for crossing continents How on earth is a person how has crossed the continent supposed to get their truck fixed, So they then tried to tell me that because it was an import "ALL" the Tools were different :mad: So I told em they were talking Bol***ks, along with that they did not have a clue what they were talking about, Lol.

So my options are either a Jeep Cherokee or Cherokee Sport, an Isuzu or a Pajero, and ever since Top Gear did a show about the Hi-Lux the prices of them are right out of the park.

John.

Nothing wrong with the 97-99 NL Pajero 3.5 SOHC Auto. .. Voted Best 4x4 for its year... Worth New $54,000.... I PAID $4,500 for mine...Yes they do need regular Maintenance, like every car...Timing Belts at 100,000 Valve stem seals at around 200,000... Wouldn't swap for any other 4x4... I purchased mine with 300,000klm and will replace the Motor with one from a 2000-2004 Magna soon... Far cheaper than rebuilding something that is only going to Detonate it's self straight after a $4000 rebuild. :mad: .. They are a tricky Thing but im learning my Beast's ways... Lol..

LoneWolf...

Alright then if there brand new and diesel it's a hard call, it can be a hit and miss on all makes models due to all the off shore manufacturing
The new generation of diesel engines are temperamental sob's, The new Nissan's if you use the wrong oil consistently it will block the exhaust filter and blow the motor :mad: :N: I've seen a Nissan tech put the wrong oil in one the master tech told him and then he said ahh don't worry well get em for a new exhaust filter next time :eek: :N: shake head not smiley.

Problem is dealers employ many bad mechanics that don't care as long as they have a couple who do :rolleyes: and lots of apprentices that are taught shite and how to up sell, most important thing is upsell, upsell, upsell. the other trick they use is at certain kms they will send out a fake recall on say brakes then when you go to pick it up you get a bill for new rotors and pads.
last one was my GF's work colleague on a 2006 Nissan pulsar at the 60 000k mark
This particular dealer lost their Mitsubishi dealers license for getting caught ripping Mitsubishi off by doing fake warranty replacement's, the reason they did that was Mitsubishi has capped price servicing and they really couldn't make enough money on them
The landrovers here don't last long and the ones that do are the old ones
Jeep is difficult where I live as the dealer was there one year then gone the next now Suttons have got them so they may be ok but have seen a couple of new ones on the back of a tow truck

Mitsubishi could be the best from the pick being new but I don't see new Isuzu's much other than light trucks to compare with but they are a solid company and sell top trucks ;) :Y:
Out of the two do you guys have cap priced servicing and how long is the warranty, Mitsubishi here have a diamond advantage 10 drivetrain warranty and a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty 4 year roadside 3 year capped price service which would be the benefit of a new vehicle
But the Isuzu has a 5 year warranty capped price service and roadservice
So all depends on the year and if it's the same there but the warranty and service will transfer to the new owner just make sure the book is dealer serviced up, if it older than the 5 year mark make sure a real mechanic has checked it over :8 not some slappy apprentice that wipes oil filters and puts a new service sticker on :lol: :lol: :lol: :N:

Hope fully with the Donald Trump crack down Ford parts wont be made off shore soon as the new Mustang has a few minor teething issues
Just a crazy idea if your up to it one shop that tried to suck me into a job take Range rovers dump the garbage motor and put 350 chevs in them, would be better with a ford motor but hey :lol: :lol: running on LPG US crate motors are easy to get these days :lol: :lol: :Y:
I'll shut up now but what year model? :lol: :lol: :lol:

LoneWolf said:
Nothing wrong with the 97-99 NL Pajero 3.5 SOHC Auto. .. Voted Best 4x4 for its year... Worth New $54,000.... I PAID $4,500 for mine...Yes they do need regular Maintenance, like every car...Timing Belts at 100,000 Valve stem seals at around 200,000... Wouldn't swap for any other 4x4... I purchased mine with 300,000klm and will replace the Motor with one from a 2000-2004 Magna soon... Far cheaper than rebuilding something that is only going to Detonate it's self straight after a $4000 rebuild. :mad: .. They are a tricky Thing but im learning my Beast's ways... Lol..

LoneWolf...
They paid for that best 4x4 of the year garbage, don't tell me NRMA[No Real Mechanics Available] :lol: :lol: don't believe all you read LoneWolf
All goes on who paid the most for it :eek: :N:
I've serviced Toyotas with 800 000kms and My mates Hiace clocked back around back to zero and also my Couriers please dude clocked his too :lol: :lol:
The shitty URM vehicles I used to fix when their mechanic couldn't and he used auto for brake fluid :lol: :lol: :lol: the good ones got serviced
Their vehicles had to be above 600 000kms before they had a chance to be recycled unless they were written off, One of their beach Hilux's broke the speedo just before 900 000 and still trooped on :lol: :lol: the good old 22R :eek: :Y: never had to do a head on one of theirs as they do check their coolant
Valve stem seals at 200 000 :eek: :N: that's a poorly designed engine as it wasn't the seals but the guides are worn and the seals will be done again alot sooner than the 400 000 mark if the engine even makes it that far
The fords I've serviced some were at the the 600 00 to 700 000 mark 6 cylinders with one head service due to a blown head gasket, The V8 are next to bullet proof and the worst thing is an unserviced one with a leaky sump and a rotten cooling system and that's the owners fault :eek: :N:
Some engines were built to last some weren't
Stay away from that Magna motor it could be your worst mistake, you'll get the magna curse which can't be broken
Sorry anyway ;) :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
I just found the Landcruiser and a couple of others, which might be good for going detecting and towing a caravan, The roadworthy laws over here are so incredibly Hot they call it An MOT which is ministry of Transport test, so hopefully something like this will do the job.

John.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-La...id=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=162402856263
Sounds like New South Wales The crap state where the authorities just want you to bend over :mad: :N:
Got to move to Victoria where the Mexicans live :lol: :lol:
Snap that one up just make sure it's not the grey import one, if it is your local mechanic should be right to service it ;) :Y:
Nice price too, that here would be 20 000+

B5MECH said:
Ridge Runner said:
I just found the Landcruiser and a couple of others, which might be good for going detecting and towing a caravan, The roadworthy laws over here are so incredibly Hot they call it An MOT which is ministry of Transport test, so hopefully something like this will do the job.

John.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-La...id=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=162402856263
Sounds like New South Wales The crap state where the authorities just want you to bend over :mad: :N:
Got to move to Victoria where the Mexicans live :lol: :lol:
Snap that one up just make sure it's not the grey import one, if it is your local mechanic should be right to service it ;) :Y:
Nice price too, that here would be 20 000+

That works out to be $4850.90c AUD.

It is about 390ks from where I am so that's not too far, Aye.

John

That's an awesome price, that here would be called a Prado :eek: :Y:
Bargain of the year, 223 000KMS isn't too high if it was cared for, and sounds like it was :cool: :Y: I know a young apprentice who just sold an early 90's landcruiser that was a repairable writeoff for $6000 site un seen and it was a huge nugget :eek: :N: :lol: :lol: flakey paint and all :8
They hold a high value here
The not so smart kid then went and spent $10 000 on a mid 90's with 300 000+kms and half way down the freeway back to Sydney started bellowing smoke :lol:
Between him and the mechanics at his work mis diagnosed it, payed another mechanic to fix it and still blows smoke :rolleyes:
He won't bring it to me for a look because of his pride :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: I wasn't going to charge him, Might be because I'm the one that told him to not become a mechanic :8
not a bright kid, that reminds me I've got to check on the story's progress
3rd year that doesn't know how to do correct compression test and got the rings replaced, more than likely needs a turbo seal :rolleyes:

Yeah I have always used Comp Testing Kits, I have the Snap-On petrol Kit and I still have my Snap-On Timing Light etc All Like New,

As you know with a Petrol engine a Quick squirt of petrol or Oil down the spark plug hole can tell you whether it is rings or Valves or worse, Nower days they are no mechanics they are Techs that rely on computers to do the work for them with Error Codes So most of a Mechanics Skills are getting lost, Same as rebuilding Ford 9" Diffs etc or porting and polishing as in how and where, Re-Chip and Re-Map does not complete the picture when put up against someone who has learnt these skills.

I saw an old FJ40 SWB for sale for $26,000 today as well which is way over the top in my view, The last time I drove one of them they were worth about $1200, lol.

John.

True the old skills are being lost no doubt. Remapping is great but ................... heaps easier to change the injector duty cycle on a laptop than it is to remove carby and change out jets :Y: Same skill set required as perfect lamda is perfect lamda it's just how you perform adjustment that's different. Same with timing .................. gone are the days loosen of the dizzy and move ...................... simply plug in the laptop and shift it to where you want . Only problem is many have a go themselves without understanding what they are doing and it all turns to the proverbial.
So what's the decision on car John I see you have added a model or four to the possibles :D
Welcome to the world of Auto Electronics John :Y:

1488837498_shaun_2.jpg

Well I am moving away from the Pajero, I like the fact that some jeeps have diff locks as standard, but I am leaning towards Toyota, or Isuzu, But Toyota has my vote at the moment,

John I should send you a copy of the video of the Jeep I put on Today Tonight ? You might leave the jeeps alone :N:

Bogger said:
John I should send you a copy of the video of the Jeep I put on Today Tonight ? You might leave the jeeps alone :N:

5 years ago I bought a Grand Cherokee with the 2.7 litre Mercedes 5 cylinder Diesel engine in it and it was fine for the first week or two and then It started smoking like the devil I tried heaps of injector cleaner and I found that someone had not fitted the copper washers on the injector seats and had stripped some of the retaining bolts threads in the Head so it was stuffed, it lacked power, and when I say smoked it was like throwing an old Tyre on the BBQ, It was a beautiful Truck but it was ruined by Humans.

John.

The " Three S " rules applies to any thing.
Servicing, Then Servicing, Then more bloody servicing. :D
My 1997 Prado is still going strong with 300,000 on the clock.
Now in need of a timing belt change.
That will include all tensioners, water pump and seals.
I noticed a little vibration the other day and investigated it.
New full set of uni's are ordered front and rear.
Front Shaft has a Uni cap spinning in the trunion so a full set is
now being done. The trunion or tail shaft end is also being replaced as well.
Can't be too careful with a constant 4x4 fitted with a center diff lock. :Y:
Not a nice thing to have fail at high speed or in the scrub. :N:

Sounds like 2 votes against the Chjeep and 2 or maybe 3 votes for the Toyo :Y:
Didn't realize they've dropped in price, the last one I saw in a used car lot had $26 000 about two years ago but 180 000kms
https://www.carsales.com.au/car/toyota/landcruiserprado/rv-badge/
Different story if it's a land cruiser though :lol: :lol:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-cars-vans-utes/toyota+landcruiser+80+series+turbo+diesel/k0c18320
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eli...utes/1996-toyota-landcruiser-wagon/1141081957
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pia...80-hdj80-fzj80-turbo-diesel-patrol/1140168029
Wow the prices are all over the place here, wonder what state I'll have to go to get a bargain, could be an adventure in it's self :lol: :lol:

B5MECH, you Don't recommend the 3.5 Magna Motor as a replacement for the 3.5 Pajero? Why?... People around here say it's a far better option and way cheaper than re-building the Pajero motor... What are these motors issues? Im faced with a $4000+ re-build compared to around $1300 for the Magna swap... Spoken to a couple of re-builders up here and they won't even consider re-building the Paj motor. :rolleyes: ... Reason they say is the High chance of a failure not long after re-build and not worth the risk.... What to do, what to do... :/

LoneWolf....

The Magna motor comes with a curse and it's still in the bad Mitsu engine and tranny era, there both the same motor but the Magna hit the wreckers first due to the bomb of a transmission they put with it which means the engine has been sitting around for a long time, ten years plus ++++++++
So your going to have to do every seal as they will be hard then if you put it back in without doing the stem seals it will be a DAM IT job :rolleyes:
Sounds like the wrecker is trying to sell off the engine he has as the paj engines would be higher kms engines as they lasted longer in the vehicle
He's selling you the lower km engine but has been sitting for a lot longer
I can see why your stuck but sounds like the reco guy doesn't trust his work :/ There should be some cheap head replacements around these days being a common motor and used in various models but still I can see why your going in that direction, rebuilds aren't cheap then if you throw a new set of heads at it the price goes up :eek:
http://midlandcylinderheads.com.au/...ngine-parts/?gclid=CKyelIGaw9ICFYsJvAodJlgDqg
That's not my guy but 410 to reco the 6G74 but he doesn't list a replacement but has a 6G72 new head bare for 395 and 447 assembled with your parts then the dealing with the bottom end, some nice prices
1300 Sounds a little to cheap for a engine swap, is the wrecker doing the supply and fit or are you dropping it in?
Here's a bottom end
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBIS...-GENUINE-3-5L-V6-6G74-2002-2003-/142259851071
Bang new heads on if they are available and it's good to go, the 4000 price sounds like a strange quote and the 1300 sounds like he just wants to get rid of the engine as there is not much demand
If it was me in the I grab a short block and new heads from a good company at least you have the peace of mind that the sitting isn't going to cause more problems, sitting that long the oil could have thickened up and after they change the oil the sludge may be dried in the top end and the valve train will suffer, There's too many variables that can go wrong with loooong sitting engines, might be sweet for 6 months but then all of a sudden on a hot day there goes the pin and it blows a head or developes a bottom knock :( :mad: :N:

The other issue is when wreckers test motors that means it ran nice when it came in, they don't compression test it or anything like that
And if it was in a heavy front collision could be enough to rattle the bottom end bearings, I've seen a couple of cars that got written off because of that and they went to the wrecker :eek: they probably sold the engine but the insurance quote was close enough to the write off figure that the insurer didn't want to take the risk of getting stuck with an additional engine rebuild after the smash repair was done
If your in Vic that short block is a good price :rainbow: :party:
The eagle guys here do Import US parts, didn't know they build engines but may be a subby job
I'll stop there and see what you think ;) :Y: Nothing worse in being in the middle of nowhere and an engine fails :mad: :N:

Bogger said:
Soooo :eek: What's the story there Bogger :eek: sounds interesting, I like lemon stories :lol: :lol: Did the submarine sink :cool: :Y:

My friends brother steered me away from a Pajero when I was looking for my 4x4, he recommended a petrol Prado, has only ever had one problem and that was last trip when it leaked fuel the whole way home as it had a broken fuel tank fill tube, cost $100 to fix and is as good as new. I paid about 16 grand for it with 206,000km, it's a 2003 model 4.0l GXL, I really can't fault it. Bought it from an old couple who owned it since new and it still even looks pretty new. I really love it, great prospecting vehicle.

Friends brother owns a mechanics shop in Brookvale, bloody great mechanics him and his business partner.

Heatho said:
My friends brother steered me away from a Pajero when I was looking for my 4x4, he recommended a petrol Prado, has only ever had one problem and that was last trip when it leaked fuel the whole way home as it had a broken fuel tank fill tube, cost $100 to fix and is as good as new. I paid about 16 grand for it with 206,000km, it's a 2003 model 4.0l GXL, I really can't fault it. Bought it from an old couple who owned it since new and it still even looks pretty new. I really love it, great prospecting vehicle.

Friends brother owns a mechanics shop in Brookvale, bloody great mechanics him and his business partner.

Yeah Petrol models have been on my mind too, Because A couple of years back they did a big push to get us all to buy Diesels and now they are reversing it so now Diesel has become the fuel of Satan, The same Issue with Bull Bars, The insurance companies mad a big fuss about people being killed by them and that they are a danger to the public but the truth is it was about the damage repairs that they had to pay for, Motoring over here is a scam, where your insurance premium is based on where you live, They tried to rip me off because I bought a little van for about $2000 but they wanted to charge me $2800 to insure it and the excuse was because it had a Turbo on it, I said it has to have a Turbo it's a Diesel she said that makes no odds, I said it does to me, it was 1700cc/1.7 Litre 4cylinder Not a Bloody Farrari.

John.

Latest posts