Which is Better

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day folks, I have the chance to buy a couple of 4x4's and having owned both before I was wondering which one you guys think is better out of the Mitsubishi Pajero or the Isuzu Trooper 5 door wagons,

The Pajero has a Centre Diff Lock which I like because it locks the front and rear wheels together and the Trooper has a Limited slip Diff that I like too, Both do about 33 mpg on a run and also I am thinking about the Pajreo/Shogun Sport but they don't quite have the same amount of room in them as the Pajero Wagon, My Trooper was a great truck and my Pajero was also good, I want an Automatic because they just work better in Snow and off road because once you dip the clutch you loose momentum,

So what is your thoughts about these two 4x4's.

Thanks,

John.

Do you want to camp in it ? =troopy
Do you want comfort ?= Paj
Do you want to do hardcore 4wd? = troopy
Do you go alone ? = Paj
Do you go with heaps of gear ? = troopy

Suggest you make a list of what you want/need/like and tick it off against both cars , good luck :)

Isuzu is more a truck manufacturer and build tough motors and Mitsubishi are a Boat anchor manufacturer stay away from all of them especially the V6 abortion engine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The amount of heads that I've pulled to find there toast and porous is rediculous and I've never worked for Mitsubishi :mad: :N: They were the disgrace of Japan and got caught hiding recalls some years ago :mad: :N: Only good Mitsi is an EVO
Never dealt with the Isuzu your asking about only the truck range, but the 4 cylinder engine is tough and they've been used by Holden for many years because Holden can't build tough engines :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :Y: They buy them from other companys :lol: :lol: :lol: Before the holden owners club get upset :lol: :lol: can you name one good 4cyl holden engine :p I can it's an Isuzu all the rest are boat ancors :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd be looking at the drive train engine and gearbox diff quality and have a look at recall lists on the two and google search for existing non start and breakdown problems, but If I was given a pajero I would thrash and destroy and take the plates and walk, or sell it for parts on ebay :rolleyes: look for another vehicle to compare the Isuzu to :eek: :Y:
What year models are you talking about?

Mitsu centre diff lock is only for use in extreme conditions like getting out of bog holes or getting thru a difficult section of track. If you run it in centre diff lock for prolonged period such as up 75 mile beach on Fraser Island the transfer case chain will stretch and start to jump teeth. As B5 has asked what year / model as the 3 litre version against the 3.5 is two complete different vehicles when it comes to running gear as also is the 4D56 diesel against the 4M40 .................. then the 4M41 but once you get there your into monocoque construction so again different vehicle all over again from the previous two :)
The Trooper is the Oz equivalent of the Jackeroo I believe ? If so the early ones wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding :eek: ................ again model and year for both would leave decision pending ;)
I get an inkling that B5 does not like Mitsubishi ? :D :D :D :D :

Bogger said:
Mitsu centre diff lock is only for use in extreme conditions like getting out of bog holes or getting thru a difficult section of track. If you run it in centre diff lock for prolonged period such as up 75 mile beach on Fraser Island the transfer case chain will stretch and start to jump teeth.
I get an inkling that B5 does not like Mitsubishi ? :D :D :D :D :D
Evo's are awesome Bogger, the V6 was an abortion from the start just like the Magna :lol: :lol: :lol:
No point having a car if the engine is a POS :lol: All cars have issues but Mitsubishi wow they produced some serious shit :lol: :lol:
If your V6 uses 100ml of coolant over 10 000kms I can tell you where its going :eek: :N:
Probably still rate them higher than some others :rolleyes: do you own one :p sorry I've serviced too many, don't get me wrong here the engine does the job just poorly designed and cast from recycled Hyundai's not Mercedes :eek: poor quality cast alloy :D

Jaros as long as quality gear is used and set up correctly should be no problem .................. LPG gives a cooling charge and also higher octane than petrol so in fact a more suitable fuel for Turbo as it's the octane rating that will determine how high your boost can be before you get engine knocking. You could always run C10 but the last drum I purchased was $220 for 20 litres so it would be very expensive motoring :rolleyes:

B5MECH said:
Bogger said:
Mitsu centre diff lock is only for use in extreme conditions like getting out of bog holes or getting thru a difficult section of track. If you run it in centre diff lock for prolonged period such as up 75 mile beach on Fraser Island the transfer case chain will stretch and start to jump teeth.
Evo's are awesome Bogger, the V6 was an abortion from the start just like the Magna :lol: :lol: :lol:
No point having a car if the engine is a POS :lol: All cars have issues but Mitsubishi wow they produced some serious shite :lol: :lol:
If your V6 uses 100ml of coolant over 10 000kms I can tell you where its going :eek: :N:
Probably still rate them higher than some others :rolleyes: do you own one :p sorry I've serviced too many, don't get me wrong here the engine does the job just poorly designed and cast from recycled Hyundai's not Mercedes :eek: poor quality cast alloy :D

Yep I have a few B5 :D :D :D :D :D :D but I think we have both been around the traps long enough to sort the shite from the clay :rolleyes: And your right great for spares ;) .................. heads very unforgiving when over heated ................ bend like bananas ............... diesel the same and the one's with ceramic buttons non machinable .................. makes it even better.

1488772036_mitsu_line_up.jpg

HAPPY not sorry to say , 130000 klms and going strong. Reg Serv.and filters and oil changed by me {Magnatec). Done the Cape and 150000 round Aus, Still have it. Ti model . Never h ad to re-gas air con, got thru areas in Nt that others couldn't or would'nt,
The question is is it a good thing for me to have it turbo'd . It.s done 120000 roughly and runs great on gas and Petrol
Jaros ]:D

sorry put diesel ilo petol

Jaros said:
HAPPY not sorry to say , 130000 klms and going strong. Reg Serv.and filters and oil changed by me {Magnatec). Done the Cape and 150000 round Aus, Still have it. Ti model . Never had to re-gas air con, got thru areas in Nt that others couldn't or would'nt,
The question is is it a good thing for me to have it turbo'd . It.s done 120000 roughly and runs great on gas and Diesel.
Jaros ]:D

Bang a few pound into her Jaros ....................... it will soon let you know if the bottom ends not sound :D
Get her mapped up correctly and don't load it to much in the low revs and you should be good to go. If not then you will have some damn good fun in the mean time :p

There is also another saying I should add .................... if it ain't broke then don't f ............. with it :eek: From what you say she has served you well so far and would be a shame to change that ? Decisions decisions :eek:

Jaros said:
What do you think about Turbo charging a 3.3 V6 Nissan Pathfinder donk!!!---Is also LPG.???
It would have to be a twin turbo Jaros a single would be a huge nightmare to link the two exhausts before a single and you would have to change the LPG system to THE LINK BELOW
http://www.gasresearch.com.au/
Normal LPG systems don't allow for proper tuning but the GRA throttle body works like a Mikuni carby sort of like an SU carb ;) could maybe get away with your injection on a couple of pounds but it only takes one serious leanout and the engine grenade had it's pin pulled
Would be expensive just in parts then custom exhaust, intake, intercooler, could maybe get away with the original computer depending how much boost you push through it which would be limited due to the engine, needing forged pistons for higher than a couple of pound boost...etc
Could be like spending all your kids inheritance in one vehicle :lol: :lol: :lol:
You would probably be better off going for something like a Vorteh supercharger if there was room to mount it ;)
https://vortechsuperchargers.com/
Like one of these kits but probably not listed for the exact model so would have to be a full custom kit ]:D :Y:
http://www.capa.com.au/kits_vortech.htm
Still may need some fueling mods depending how much boost you pump through
Could probably get a kit from someone like Castlemain Rod shop to drop a V8 in it ]:D
Depends on state engineers laws, NSW are cracking down hard ATM and know a few mechanics that fair trading have suspended their rego license for not being on point and jumping hoops when asked :lol: :lol: :lol: :N:

B5 has pretty much covered it ...................... you could also ceramic coat pistons which would give them an edge as cyl temps rise. Again as B5 has mentioned get into any serious boost pressures and slightly off key in the air fuel ratio will see you make a few ashtrays in the blink of an eye. I'd go the V8 transplant personally and have done a few as being from the maine my mates worked at Hadfields when he had his shop making all the conversion kits so the right price was always available .................. now that's going back a few years lol
No substitute for cubes :Y: but again compliance and engineers tickets could be the biggest hurdle :|

Now where were we ............................. aaah that's right Pajeros and Troopers sorry Mr Ridge ;)

Bogger said:
B5MECH said:
Bogger said:
No point having a car if the engine is a POS :lol: All cars have issues but Mitsubishi wow they produced some serious shite :lol: :lol:

Yep I have a few B5 :D :D :D :D :D :D but I think we have both been around the traps long enough to sort the shite from the clay :rolleyes: And your right great for spares ;) .................. heads very unforgiving when over heated ................ bend like bananas ............... diesel the same and the one's with ceramic buttons non machinable .................. makes it even better.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1488772036_mitsu_line_up.jpg
I'm thinking of the earlier shape Paj, at 100 000+kms That's a lot of Pajero's you should start a rental company :D :Y:
I've never dealt with new Mitsu's, Ford Mazda are the main new vehicles for a 9 year stretch all other 2nd hand, included but most makes before, some I don't wish to ever repeat their name of :8 and some I've told my bosses to foff and fix it yourself ones, it's your mates car dude, :lol: :lol: there has to be a line drawn somewhere :8 Some of the krap I've had to do :eek: :eek: :N: I guess was good experience and made me realize that nothing is unrepairable
just may not be worth it :rolleyes:

B5 just brought another today actually and I do run a few over on Fraser .................. when the bodies give out which only takes about 2 to 3 years either swap out the mechanicals to a good body or off to the scrappers it goes. The Gen 2 were the last to run chassis and they ended in 99 from there on in it's monocoque not as good for towing but the body flex makes them a bit more agile in the rough stuff. I think I'm over the 300 mark in the last five years so I have brought the odd one or two ................... hundred :D :D :D :D

As you know some repairs are fun especially when you know the part your fitting is the same as the part that failed and will only repeat the same procedure down the track :mad: I rang Repco the other day and asked for a fuel pump kit ...................... the bloke laughed at me :rolleyes: Don't fix it anymore just chuck it in the bin
Backpackers love Pajeros :Y:

300 :eek: :eek: here I am stoked about owning 2 MX bikes and my poor now unregod B5000 :lol: :lol: :lol: the salt is a killer here too, but there's nothing like Fraser to destroy a nice new 4by and turn it into toast, had a customer at my last place with a troopy with one of those antirust scams
https://www.catsystemsaustralia.com.au/?gclid=CLLsr4WGwdICFY8DKgod2JAD6A
like one of them but not sure which one, what a load of BS they are, looked like it created rust and rotted everything even the chassis :lol: :lol: :N:
he would have been better of with an underbody oil wash each run :eek: :Y: really couldn't believe how much the thing was rotting, it was like the hilux from the ad that fell in the ocean got left for a year than pulled out to oxygen and left :lol: :lol: but a troopy, worst Toyota rust I ever seen, and I've seen rust :eek:
I get my license back soon from a loooong stretch and gota start looking for the correct nugget for the job, the no power window and no antitheft model
Everyone is buying newer technoligy but damned it I'm going bush with too much that can't be fixed with a box of tools some race tape a hose or two and a roll of tie wire, I'll be heading the places a towtruck can't :lol: :lol:
Good old backpackers they'll buy anything if they can sleep in it, just make sure it runs long enough for it too leave the street :lol: :Y:
Sorry ridge runner back to you :8

B5 on the rust so called stoppers ........................ the guy that runs the Inskip Point kiosk truck told me they get 2 years out of a new truck without one and three with one. Mines workers tell me the same .................. slows it down a bit but doesn't stop it. Salt and metal just don't go together :N:

What Salt ;) ................ an it's petrol :Y: Also why I don't take my 60K 4B there O:)

1488777952_double_island_point.jpg

On the new technology ................. will be fun to see a new Landcruiser with auto hill descent control etc when it's been around for twenty years in the salt and mud it's dash warning lights will probably look light a Christmas tree under full lights ..................... you will buy one for 5K and spend 15K getting the electronics fixed. :rolleyes: The KISS principle works for me :Y:
Okay better run as I think the Islands calling and work does suffer it being all of a half hour away :) :) :) :) When your back mobile B5 if you head up this way give us a yell as I'm sure there would be a laugh or two to be had ;)
Ridgerunner sorry ole chap give us the year of vehicles ................... if it's early Jackeroo / Trooper I'd go the Pajero / Shogun so year pending :)

Is that the periscope sticking up :lol: :lol: :lol: never realized it got that deep on the way there, the troopy was about 5 years old at the time so guess it did do ok then :eek: wouldn't want the door seals to blow out :lol: :lol: Hope that wasn't low tide :eek: :Y: :p

I ran my F-100 up fraser for about 12 years and after each trip I would pressure was it and coat it up again, Before I went up there I would put it up on blocks and then I would use old engine oil and Diesel mixed and spray in the doors and panels and underneath and in the engine bay and the Guards and I never had any rust problems at all,, I never drove it through the salt water but the wet/damp sand use to stick to it but I would clean it off when I got home and recoat it up again and then before I went again I would recoat it just to make sure it was covered, It would get a layer on it half an inch thick so it was pretty well protected,

The thing with using Diesel is have you ever spilt some and come back an hour later and seen how big the patch has grown well when you mix it with Oil and spray in all the nooks and crannys it drags the oil in to the seams and so any water or salt water sits on top of the oil and does not get to the metal, I stripped that truck back to bare metal and repainted it after about 10 years and it was still as good as new, Any tiny surface marks I either sanded off or sand blasted them with a small sand blasting gun and primed and painted every part of it, But I never got any rust in it and I sold it it still looked like new,

just mix about 60-70% Oil and the rest Diesel and give it a good squirt of it using a Kero Gun and do it a couple of times and take it for a run up a dirt road a couple of times and give it another good drink of it and back up the dirt road and nothing will be able to eat the body work, I assure you.

Living Proof :- ?

Have you ever looked at the stain on a Diesel Tank on a Semi, well they are out in the weather 365 days of the years and they never rust come rain or storm, Next time you pass a Semi or one passes you take a good look at his Diesel Tank and you will see what I mean and they only time they will get rust on them is when to owner keeps cleaning the diesel off of them,

Hope this helps,

B-5, I use to have a 1996 Pajero and a 1995 Trooper the Pajero was better to drive but the Isuzu was the one truck I never had to worry about, I have had 2 Pajero's the first one died when the cam belt snapped, With Isuzu 3.1L engine the secrete to keeping them going is changing the oil on a regular bases otherwise the Turbo craps out, other than that they are pretty much bulletproof,

Thanks again.

John.

That's the Pajero model I was refering to John :eek: :N: would have bent every valve in both heads bar 3 and when it goes to the machine shop it fails a pressure test, and then they try to weld the pourous spot and it spreads :eek: :N: The 1990's were the biggest down fall to Mitsubishi's name.
Had a mate with a little later v6 magna and it slipped the power steer belt, rang me from the side of the road and told him to call the tow truck but no Painters don't listen, too much 2 pac fumes :lol: :lol: drove it home 5 minutes away ant didn't make the 10 minute back to work drive :N:
A tiny piece of the chewed belt forced it's way through between the crank pulley and the cover and jumped the crank gear 2 teeth :N:
After the R&R turn key to start and no compression in any cylinder, only 3 valves survived, being a good mate I didn't make a cent on the job :rolleyes:
The later ones have a better reputation for not breaking down but be wary of high km vehicles
Don't ask about my mums magna :mad: :mad: It really had it in for me :rolleyes: she even ran my bare foot over in it and when I went Arhh she stoped right on top and turned the steering, don't ask about the mechanical issues :lol: glad she wrote it off in the end

Are you in the UK? a lot of vehicles that have a bad rep here do quite well in cooler climates and some in perticular have the best rep there and toast here, 40 degreese climate heavy traffic and long distances can kill anything that wasn't built for :mad: :N:

I believe over there you guys like Vauxhall's and do well there, but here they were Holdens second biggest mistake after the camira :lol: :lol:
Broken timing belts at 60 000kms and $3500 odd just in head service work without the R&R 16 banana valves in every head :eek: :N:

A daewoo here if you dont change the oil every second week :rolleyes: clogs the oil galleries and seizes camshafts when treated bad along with KIA'S
Alot of mechanics here don't even know what viscosity oil to put in engines and don't even care :rolleyes: :N:
If your in the UK like I think what's wrong with a Land Rover, plenty of parts and I believe they have a good rep there, not here but maybe they wern't built for a desert ;)

Latest posts