Looking to buy a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bogger said:
Well indeed there ya go Dave .................. the first post of mine you have ever responded to :eek: so ya do love me after all :)
You do also realize after saying you don't love your car it now probably won't start today :D

Y4K if I can help you out at all drop me a pm ..................... main point if you don't know what your looking at get some one reputable to check the vehicle over as ANY repair on a 4B is not cheap. To give you something to go on ................... I just purchased a 99 NL Pajero with 3.5 petrol motor Auto, Air Con, ABS brakes, Electric Sunroof, Rear Factory Locker Diff, Full Hitch Towbar, Bullbar, leather interior and with a safety certificate obtained total cost was one thousand and fifty dollars. There are some great buys out there without spending a fortune.
:Y:
Lol Bogger, must be your name! I'm feel like I'm a bogger this wet season!
Toyotas are defiantly over rated, and over priced, but the good points are spare parts are easy, if you need them, and every mechanic in rural areas knows them.
Car started 1st go again today, always has. Over due for a service too.....

davent said:
Lol Bogger, must be your name! I'm feel like I'm a bogger this wet season!
Toyotas are defiantly over rated, and over priced, but the good points are spare parts are easy, if you need them, and every mechanic in rural areas knows them.
Car started 1st go again today, always has. Over due for a service too.....

Dave your on the money ..................... the name is a nick name we gave a mate on a Cape York trip it didn't matter where we went he got bogged :| Every one else would get thru but not him :)
Re the bog outs ................. for the twin price one may as well buy a winch ............. Bog Outs would be a fun thing to fit in some of the pea soup bogs I've been in and given your wets up there I'm sure you can relate ;)

Occassional Panner I'm sure with a little help you could learn how to :Y:

Y4K just try to work out whats going to give you best value for your dollars spent ................. there isn't the perfect one / make as they all have their short falls and they all break I can assure you. Some have more power, some have better options, some ride the road better, some are cheaper to purchase and maintain etc etc I'm sure you will work it out and if in doub't the offer stands :Y:

Reactions: y4k
Yeah , I can see some advantages over a conventional winch here, always have 2 wheels spinning in a bog, more flexible than a winch, pull you out the same way you went in, where a winch can sometimes just pull you in deeper sh@t. Its only 4.5m long, but you can use a snatch to extend to a better anchor point. I like the idea, think its going on my list of stuff to get.

Yeah good point Dave, I won't have a choice once my young blokes see this :lol: their keen for a bit of the off-road experience.

Yes bog outs look good on paper but perhaps in the real world you would need to check your vehicle and also types of wheel fitted to the vehicle you wish to use them on?
The wheel type would need to have any holes that attach thru strap near outer edge of wheel so the strap can run parallel across rim width otherwise the clearance between caliper and inner rim will not be enough to allow it to spin without fouling and catching on caliper. The further out the hole from inner rim the more the angle of the strap and the more clearance that will be required to clear caliper.Have 12 vehicles here at the moment and it's a fail on five of those especially the rear wheels with disc fitted. Also some wheels due to design will surely cut thru strap when any decent load is placed on it. Sunraysia due to sharp cut out edges would be a prime example
The other point is anchor point would need to be directly behind vehicle otherwise the "ladder" type construction of straps if pulling on an angle will wind themselves off the wheel.
Anyways just my findings ..................... without leaving my yard and I'd rather work it out here than when I'm relying on it to get me home. But your money your call :)

Here is an example of what I'm talking about as they say a pictures worth a thousand words :/ .................... on this vehicle it simply will not work without catching the caliper and would simply chew the strap apart :N:
Note also these are stock rims on a stock vehicle .................. many vehicles run very minimal clearance between caliper and inner rim. Some rear drum brakes may be worse as the backing plate / stone shield will cut thru the strap like a knife.
Apology to OP as getting way off topic here but it's never good to see people waste money :rolleyes:

1488750416_bog_off.jpg

Northeast said:
My parents in law have an '04 patrol wagon, turbo diesel, manual, plenty of extras, immaculate condition (a genuine old ladies car) and they want about 15k. In Northeast Victoria.

They have just upgraded to a new DMAX and if you are interested you might want to be quick before they realize that the DMAX has been a poor choice for them - I reckon anyway :D :D

PM me if you are keen :Y:

Not the grenade is it? You can keep it if it is. ]:D

Cheers

Doug

I have thought about it for a little while Doug but alas, I have no idea what the grenade reference is about :/

You are going to have to explain it to me :D

Northeast said:
I have thought about it for a little while Doug but alas, I have no idea what the grenade reference is about :/

You are going to have to explain it to me :D

The Patrol 3 litre diesel was the grenade motor .................. they had a habit of just pulling the pin all the time :eek:

Aha, with you now.

I did know that the earlier 3.0 l TD's had an issue that raised its head - I thought around 150,000 k's. But I thought this was in the earlier models around the year 2000 model. I thought by the '03 model (which is the in laws) they had sorted this out? Theirs is now at about 240k without any issues.

Does this sound correct?

Northeast said:
Aha, with you now.

I did know that the earlier 3.0 l TD's had an issue that raised its head - I thought around 150,000 k's. But I thought this was in the earlier models around the year 2000 model. I thought by the '03 model (which is the in laws) they had sorted this out? Theirs is now at about 240k without any issues.

Does this sound correct?

Actually I think it was later than that at least to 2004 models going on memory. Again on memory I think they had a problem with melting ceramic coating of no 4 cyl and going into melt down. ZD30 pre CRD models were the culprits I believe for earning the infamous "Grenade" motor label? Any of the Poo troll forums would be able to give you the full guff on it .................. due to ruffled feathers and bruised ego's I tend to limit what I say somewhat on this forum as I know many other members with info to give also do. ;)

Did a bit of a google search - this popped up. From Australia 4WD forum.

"The ZD30 engine in the Patrol was regarded as a grenade for model years 2000 and 2001. The problems reduced after that to the extent that I was happy enough to buy a 2004 Patrol. As long as you know how the problems can occur and know what to look for then they seem to be reliable now.

Reliable they may be, but they are still only to be considered just adequate for hauling the weight of a Patrol around.

So that is it rock solid Flintstone technology with some suspect engines in 2000/1 3 litre turbo diesels."

As with anything on the internet though, I'm not treating it as gospel. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts