Looking to buy a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

y4k

Reaction score
Am on the hunt for a 4x4 preferably a manual turbo diesel, I have a budget of around 20k. I havent limited myself to any one in particular will consider any make or model if its what I'm looking for.
Cheers

Tray?
Wagon?
Crew cab tray/tub back?

What kind of wheeling to you plan to do, hardcore or medium?

$20k will get you a pretty handy 4x4, now it just depends on what you want/need.
Should be enough to get an 08 hilux with bull bar, tow bar, snorkel and canopy. Single cab tray or duel cab tub.
Hilux has the advantage of lots of spares available, mechanics know them back to front, and they drive great, with good turning circles, which is handy in the scrub.
Plenty of of other options also in that price range.
Only ones I'd steer clear of would be great walls, and Navaras. The Navs are a nice car, but have awful turning circles. Great walls....well, built to a budget.
Good luck.

My parents in law have an '04 patrol wagon, turbo diesel, manual, plenty of extras, immaculate condition (a genuine old ladies car) and they want about 15k. In Northeast Victoria.

They have just upgraded to a new DMAX and if you are interested you might want to be quick before they realize that the DMAX has been a poor choice for them - I reckon anyway :D :D

PM me if you are keen :Y:

y4k said:
Am on the hunt for a 4x4 preferably a manual turbo diesel, I have a budget of around 20k. I havent limited myself to any one in particular will consider any make or model if its what I'm looking for.
Cheers

You will probably need to narrow what you require or want down a little as for example you would pay 15 to 20 K for a good 99 / 2000 Cruiser tray or could buy a Pajero same year for 4K ? The Navara / Hilux rivalry along with the cruiser / patrol rivalry will be around for as long as the models exist ;)
Personally with the skills and equipment available one can over come most short falls in a Nissan and have much change in the pocket when compared to a Toyota purchase. Toyota good vehicle but you certainly pay for the badge on the side ]:D
To help in your selection work out if you just want a strong towing vehicle ? A mountain goat ? Towing and load carrying capacity ? What do you wish to carry ? (Example no good purchasing a ute with canopy if you may wish to carry a quad some time down the track) How much seating required ? You will probably find when you break it down to tick all the boxes you need to fill that your available vehicles that tick all boxes required will diminish considerably. Good luck in the hunt :Y:

Occasional_panner said:
Tray?
Wagon?
Crew cab tray/tub back?

What kind of wheeling to you plan to do, hardcore or medium?

Knew I'd forget something lol preferably a wagon or twin cab with canopy, just something that will get me to those fishing/prospecting spots that I can't get to at the moment, no intentions of doing any real 4wd'ing probably just the occasional washout

Tks to everyone for the replys, am just chasing something that can get me to all the fishing/prospecting spots that at present I can't get to in my Calais, the only towing it will need to do is a boat trailer with kayak and the occasional trip to the tip with a box trailer, although depending on cost I may have to trade mine in on it so something that can become my daily driver if needed. Wagon or twin cab preferable only due to me getting a dog with separation anxiety that insists of travelling EVERYWHERE...but just as much for storage of fishing and prospecting gear, tents etc etc
Without really knowing much about fourbies I'm not even really sure what I'm after myself lol so any suggestions, pros and cons would be a big help

Hilux is a good reliable and very capable 4x4,
I have an 08 dualcab manual and the only problem I found was towing my camp trailer roughly a ton and all the rest of the gear was fine until you have to take off on a hill or you have to slow right down and loose momentum on a hill then she struggles, some times I gotta drop into L4 or risk burning clutch out.
Then I put a few upgrades to help the power and then the clutch started slipping from the extra torque.
common problem apparently, the standard clutch is crap and a replacement is not cheap.
Auto might be the go in these Utes.

Reactions: y4k
Landcruiser or Patrol are more of a true 4wd which are very capable. They are also heavy and very thirsty on fuel, ride on the road isn't always great (depending on models)
Crew cab tray or tub backs these days handle well, Navara's have issues, the Hilux, Colorado, Ranger/BT50 or Triton, would be ones to look at, they are much more economical than the big wagon 4x4.
Look at getting one with a factory rear locker if you can as it greatly increases the capability of a 4x4 with independent front suspension.
Most of the ute based 4x4's don't have enough wheel travel, when adding a locker this compensates for this in tricky situations, but the relevance of this will depend on how hard you want to push it.
I have taken my PK Ranger all over the high country, up billy goats bluff when it was rough, up Zeka spur and many other places, only needed the winch once.

Digginholes said:
Hilux is a good reliable and very capable 4x4,
I have an 08 dualcab manual and the only problem I found was towing my camp trailer roughly a ton and all the rest of the gear was fine until you have to take off on a hill or you have to slow right down and loose momentum on a hill then she struggles, some times I gotta drop into L4 or risk burning clutch out.
Then I put a few upgrades to help the power and then the clutch started slipping from the extra torque.
common problem apparently, the standard clutch is crap and a replacement is not cheap.
Auto might be the go in these Utes.
Same car, never had the problem with the clutch as you describe?
Ive own ed a 4.75 boat with a 60hp motor and a tradies trailer, but we do have a lack of hills....
I was going to buy a Nissan navarra instead of my Hilux, would have saved about 4K, but after driving the Nissan in the bush, i quickly cannned that idea!
Where I could turn around a hilux in a 3 point turn, i had to do about a 6 point turn in the Nissan, Im not kidding, the turning circle of a truck. The Nissan was the more comfortable inside, and looked better, but thats where it stopped.

The only other thing I could add is Mitsubishi's seem to get terribly clogged with the intake manifold due to their egr.
They all use that system, but they seem to suffer the most.
Not a bad idea to get new injectors if it's past 100,000-150,000, VERY pricey, but your fuel economy will be greatly improved.
Also maybe an intake manifold remove and clean, then fit a catch can to the intake to reduce the future buildup.
Let me know if I have confused you.(egr etc)

Northeast said:
My parents in law have an '04 patrol wagon, turbo diesel, manual, plenty of extras, immaculate condition (a genuine old ladies car) and they want about 15k. In Northeast Victoria.

They have just upgraded to a new DMAX and if you are interested you might want to be quick before they realize that the DMAX has been a poor choice for them - I reckon anyway :D :D

PM me if you are keen :Y:

Geez i would take that deal if I needed the car.

Yep Jaros. I have an '04 landcruiser that, except for a bigger motor, is very much a similar vehicle. The cruisers on carsales are about 35k and the same k's Patrols are about 12-15k. Massive difference for a very similar vehicle.
Have considered selling the cruiser and buying the in-laws patrol. Still might - but I do like my cruiser :D

The in-laws patrol is a seriously clean vehicle. They head off for about 6 weeks every year during the winter but apart from that my mother in law drives it 30 k's to work twice a week. Never had kids in it. Wiring to Anderson plug at the back beefed up, dual battery, bulbar, tow pack, snorkel, driving lights, fridge plug in the rear, possibly the roof racks - they are just seeing what they can transfer onto the DMAX.

OP for what you want and need grab a second hand Pajero or Challenger .................... you would get a ripper for under 5K ;)
Personally buying second hand I'd go a petrol as any diesel that develops a problem the repair could end up costing more than the initial outlay for the car :rolleyes:
Example NM 2000 3.2 DID Pajero Injector pump o\haul around 2.5 K .................. can buy a 99 NL 3.5 petrol Pajero complete car with RWC for less than that. ;)

Just for the records a current Navara turning circle is 11.8 metres and current Hilux 11.8 metres but at the end of the day given the light use you require it for doesn't bare much relevance in any case :Y:
Beware the sharks ............................. I remember looking at a car once and commented to the seller that it had a lot of bottom end noise in the motor to which he replied it's only the cam chain a bit noisy :lol: I replied back that's interesting considering it has a cam belt and not a chain :eek:
From the banana peels in the gear box to the 90 weight oil in the motors seen it all :) :) :)

Bogger said:
OP for what you want and need grab a second hand Pajero or Challenger .................... you would get a ripper for under 5K ;)
Personally buying second hand I'd go a petrol as any diesel that develops a problem the repair could end up costing more than the initial outlay for the car :rolleyes:
Example NM 2000 3.2 DID Pajero Injector pump o\haul around 2.5 K .................. can buy a 99 NL 3.5 petrol Pajero complete car with RWC for less than that. ;)

Just for the records a current Navara turning circle is 11.8 metres and current Hilux 11.8 metres but at the end of the day given the light use you require it for doesn't bare much relevance in any case :Y:
Beware the sharks ............................. I remember looking at a car once and commented to the seller that it had a lot of bottom end noise in the motor to which he replied it's only the cam chain a bit noisy :lol: I replied back that's interesting considering it has a cam belt and not a chain :eek:
From the banana peels in the gear box to the 90 weight oil in the motors seen it all :) :) :)

OK, how about turning circle for 08 Navara v Hilux?
because thats what I was talking about, $20K budget remember.
I don't like the new Hilux. I don't like any car, i just need one to get to where I want to go. All Ive done to my Hilux since owning it, is a set of new tyres, and regular services, and thats it. Ive put about 80,000km since I got it.

There ya go, turning circle of an 08 Navara 13.8m 08 Hilux, 11.8m.

Well indeed there ya go Dave .................. the first post of mine you have ever responded to :eek: so ya do love me after all :)
You do also realize after saying you don't love your car it now probably won't start today :D

Y4K if I can help you out at all drop me a pm ..................... main point if you don't know what your looking at get some one reputable to check the vehicle over as ANY repair on a 4B is not cheap. To give you something to go on ................... I just purchased a 99 NL Pajero with 3.5 petrol motor Auto, Air Con, ABS brakes, Electric Sunroof, Rear Factory Locker Diff, Full Hitch Towbar, Bullbar, leather interior and with a safety certificate obtained total cost was one thousand and fifty dollars. There are some great buys out there without spending a fortune.
:Y:

Bogger said:
Well indeed there ya go Dave .................. the first post of mine you have ever responded to :eek: so ya do love me after all :)
You do also realize after saying you don't love your car it now probably won't start today :D

Y4K if I can help you out at all drop me a pm ..................... main point if you don't know what your looking at get some one reputable to check the vehicle over as ANY repair on a 4B is not cheap. To give you something to go on ................... I just purchased a 99 NL Pajero with 3.5 petrol motor Auto, Air Con, ABS brakes, Electric Sunroof, Rear Factory Locker Diff, Full Hitch Towbar, Bullbar, leather interior and with a safety certificate obtained total cost was one thousand and fifty dollars. There are some great buys out there without spending a fortune.
:Y:
That's good you got a "bargain", there will be plenty of cash left aside for all the tow truck rides it will have.
Almost every 4wd trip I have been on paj's have all had problems, and it's a pain when you are the only one with tools and knows how to use them.

Occasional_panner said:
That's good you got a "bargain", there will be plenty of cash left aside for all the tow truck rides it will have.
Almost every 4wd trip I have been on paj's have all had problems, and it's a pain when you are the only one with tools and knows how to use them.

Oh dear how little it is you know ............... my old girl has probably taken me places you only read about in books :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts