some finds of mine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its been a long time since i played with my deus. Recent youtube video of detectorists inspired me to get off my fat behind and try my luck at detecting again. Recent operation has made things more difficult but need to get back to being active and try shed some pounds, while relic hunting.
Found this interesting place , lucky enough there was a nice breeze. And amazed to find 90% of these finds with 20 square metres. First silver too and i can just make out queen victoria head but its completely worn. The coin was found near all the buttons. Still have a lot to search in the spot as most the time spent was digging these buttons and other bits.
1488270370_20170228_190510-1632x918.jpg
1488270390_20170228_190607-1632x918.jpg
1488270407_20170228_190528-1632x918.jpg
1488270426_20170228_190641-1632x918.jpg

My thoughts are clothing left behind. And yes definite campsite butonns and buckle were spread out so i think just left behind clothing.
Possible silver buckle, shines silver underneath. Have to verify is silver or not.
Heres a close up of each individual button.
Buckle shows a dog in a running motion
not all items found so close, but buttons buckle, coin, found together, i feel there would be deeper targets, only used light 9 inch coil, but confident 13 inch would find more.
1488277380_20170228_211928-2448x1377.jpg

1488277347_20170228_205344-2448x1377.jpg
1488277409_20170228_205352-2448x1377.jpg
1488277430_20170228_205424-1377x2448.jpg

Wally69 said:
Looks like you have an 1860s pin fire eley 12 gauge shotgun shell :cool:

So may buttons - camp site ???
Couldn't find what I wanted last night :lol: Nice mix of finds there treasureman :Y: :cool: :Y:
Never ever seen one of those 12 gauge shells, too cool :cool: :cool: for something like this :cool:
1488341280_howdah5.jpg

A cool link :cool:
https://www.theexplora.com/2016/04/
Hell in a hand basket :lol: :lol:
http://hellinahandbasket.net/?p=1731
What a top site, hope you get more from there :cool: surprised only one coin showed up :rolleyes: there pockets were empty

went back to the hunt area today. still within say 50 metres radius of the last finds and more and more buttons. seems like they are endless.
also heap of lead projectiles, some weird interesting items too.

also what I originally thought was glass actually turns out I have found some gun flint. today found more gun flint.
the area has so many targets its annoying. hardly any junk, but most targets are buttons and lead projectiles.

golddiggerart said:
Best looking belt buckle I have seen.... :Y: :Y: :D :D

Sorry to be a party pooper, but i imagine you will find it is an old harness buckle, for a horse/team...and as such, i don't imagine it to be silver (unless from a 'show' gig set-up). Silver is too soft to take constant strain on those tynes, but they might be Silver plated .. :Y:

Some eccentrics did have smaller & similar on their 'fancy' boots..but they were usually gilded afaik. :8

I have a few of the smaller ones, but the gilding has worn away on them...

Gypsy

P.S...other than army web belts, i'm not aware of any double hole belts....now or then??? :8
(custom made being the exclusion)

GypsyGoldAu said:
golddiggerart said:
Best looking belt buckle I have seen.... :Y: :Y: :D :D

Sorry to be a party pooper, but i imagine you will find it is an old harness buckle, for a horse/team...and as such, i don't imagine it to be silver (unless from a 'show' gig set-up). Silver is too soft to take constant strain on those tynes, but they might be Silver plated .. :Y:

Some eccentrics did have smaller & similar on their 'fancy' boots..but they were usually gilded afaik. :8

I have a few of the smaller ones, but the gilding has worn away on them...

Gypsy

P.S...other than army web belts, i'm not aware of any double hole belts....now or then??? :8
(custom made being the exclusion)

your right its not silver. though when I made a tiny mark it looked shiny silver, but the next day it was more looking like brass or bronze.

it is interesting item, I didn't know what it was but some kind of buckle. but more interesting that you point out a harness buckle.
what age do you think it may be?

Just about any button, jewellery item, cutlery or trinkets I find on these 1880's sites are usually gold/silver gilded, bar say the recently found cufflinks.

I'd still be holding out for some more coins from your site., as I can think of one particular site near me that had tons of projectiles, musket balls and shotty shells, along with some very nice coinage. Main reasoning behind the coinage was the existence of camps in the area, most likely from hunters or travellers passing through the area. In fact much of the coinage was found buried reasonably deep around the base of trees where the hunters used to take cover, or possibly camp for the night.

See how you go, sounds like a promising site to me. :)

Goldpick said:
Just about any button, jewellery item, cutlery or trinkets I find on these 1880's sites are usually gold/silver gilded, bar say the recently found cufflinks.

I'd still be holding out for some more coins from your site., as I can think of one particular site near me that had tons of projectiles, musket balls and shotty shells, along with some very nice coinage. Main reasoning behind the coinage was the existence of camps in the area, most likely from hunters or travellers passing through the area. In fact much of the coinage was found buried reasonably deep around the base of trees where the hunters used to take cover, or possibly camp for the night.

See how you go, sounds like a promising site to me. :)

thanks for the insight and confidence boost goldpick. yesterday I was there and I gave up digging the projectiles because there was literally (hundreds) of them (almost).
Are you using the deus? what is your go to machine?
I found since I updated there have been some bugs but at the same time it seems to be picking up deeper items than the 3.2 version.
I almost have a feeling this area is aN 1800s grave site? as so many buttons and projectiles, perhaps aboriginal related?
So far only one silver coin found in this spot and I can see the outline of the younger queen Victoria. but it was so worn that its just a smooth surface, with just the tiny outline of the younger queens hair. so that is promising. however im surprised no other coins found but lets give it another shot today.
cheers

treasureman said:
your right its not silver. though when I made a tiny mark it looked shiny silver, but the next day it was more looking like brass or bronze.

it is interesting item, I didn't know what it was but some kind of buckle. but more interesting that you point out a harness buckle.
what age do you think it may be?

From the design point, it could be as early as mid 1800's,...and truly, up to as late as 5 yrs ago...

You'd be best to talk to some of the 'ol timers at a trotting track than ask me i'm sorry...perhaps different stages used different metals, and once you determine it's substrate, that may help??...

I am inclined to imagine it is early 1900's,..as these days, buckles as a rule (for harnesses) don't tend to have 'patterns', as it's just extra work on the mold, and they usually now have a 'roller' sheath so the leather runs more smoothly...0.02c

Gypsy

Same spot as above. Could spend all day digging buttons and projectiles. Very annoying actually as its consistant targets. No blessings of coins.
An interesting bullet ive never seen before, does anyone know much about it?
Also something ive never seen before.
Dont know how to describe it.
1490514812_20170326_184434-2448x1377.jpg
1490514834_20170326_184544-1377x2448.jpg
1490514860_20170326_184600-2448x1377.jpg
1490514883_20170326_184626-2448x1377.jpg

Latest posts