ancient lead weight?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it could be any age B5. but yes exciting if it is as old as that! 15th century or something holy moly.
glad i held on to it. someone told me when i fonud it was just a lead sinker, imagine if id thrown it out!

dating the lead age, like carbon dating? would that be expensive?

i did find it on land, but maybe 50 metres from the beach! so it makes sense.
also within the area i found some very old interesting items like big iron boat nails and a very interesting copper boat nail (but was found maybe 150metres away)
but maybe they are irrelavent to this item.
ill have to go back there soon .
hmm

It's a cool find for sure, more evidence could change the Captain Cook theory so definitely search the whole area 8) Not sure if your in a cyclone area but that might throw a spanner in the works
Maybe a cyclone blew up some shipwreck or it was lost where they beached the boat while exploring, hmmm, could be very interesting :cool:
I don't know about carbon dating maybe someone here does but as a wild guess it looks primitive enough to be pre 1800's easily :cool:
May be try the beach and see what shows up too ;)

treasureman said:

WooHoo !

I picked it. Post #8 of this thread.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=312028#p312028

What do I get ? GPS co-ord of the find zone ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lucky guess for me, sort of, I remember seeing something like this as a kid in a Captain Cook display in the Museum.

But really glad you have found a plausible answer, amazing find and with the other ship bits in the area, maybe you have found a lost wreck
or located a wreck that is now on dry land and being exposed.

As for age, who knows as they may have been used into the 1900's by whalers or wooden ships.
Very cool, congrats. :Y:

WooHoo !!

Latest posts