Highbanker help....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
I am picking up my new highbanker from CWP Supplies and what I like to know is what lengths should I have the hoses. I have 25m hose, I am not sure what lengths I should do. I was thinking 3m to the pump and 3m 5m 6m and 8m to the highbanker. I would like to know what others have done or would do with 25m hose.
Thanks

I just used 3m to pump and just kept the 25m hose or at least half with fittings to join if needed, some spots you will need a longer hose, and you don't want to work next to your pump all day, noise and smell and sanity.

10, 15, 25,
Is a good start.
Very true about keeping the pump as far away as possible.
I now have, 10, 15, 25, 30, 30.
For those annoyingly hard to reach places. :Y:
Plus having so much hose out, A pump to suit.

I have 3mtr of suction hose to the pump and 20mtr,10mtr and 5mtr layflat for running to the banker.At times wish I had a 30mtr piece.

A 3 meter suction hose, then 10, 20 & 30 meter lay flat hoses. Had to join the 10 & 30 today to reach where I was digging.
I could probably do with a 5 as well.

aussiefarmer said:
limpalot said:
A good steel peg to anker the pump to on steep banks helps.

You should dig your pump in so its level otherwise the oil in the sump may not lubricate the bearings properly as they rely on the crank splashing the oil up into the right places .

Still like the idea to keep it stable, I'm gonna toss an old tent peg or 2 in with my gear :D

Never know what could happen and the pump goes ass up ends up in the drink!

All good advice here as5672. As you probably can see its horses for for courses in the hose stakes :) The thing is , as you go to different places along any given water way, its going to need various combinations of your kit to make good the pumping. The 5,10 and 20mtr rule is a good one, but you must have at least one joiner piece and preferably two.I started with all brass fittings originally ..but jeez they can be expensive items and I have found that the black "nylex.?' ones are just as effective and MUCH cheaper :Y: it pays to have a flexible section leading directly to the banker though..say upto 2mtrs in length. without one you will have to make sure your run to the highbanker is straight as an arrow or your gonna have part or sometimes full blockages throughout the day, and thats the last thing you want.With the above lengths of hose its a case of just working out which is the best combo for where you are at the time, remember that it is FAR easier to bring water to your diggings then it is the other way round..its all a case of good planning at home so as you are able to adjust to whatever situation you find yourself confronted with in the field. After that there's no really hard and fast rule about it ...its just a case of what works for you..good luck ter yer :cool:

Thanks so much everyone, I will have to get a 50m hose as what I think I will do is use 3m to the pump and 7m and 15m for now.
Once I get the 50m i will just have different lengths.
I will be at Tuena on Tuesday for 5 nights, so I will give the highbanker a good work out.
I have a 3hp pump, CWP said to use about 2.5hp.
I am all excited :D

Ok thanks Blisters as I didn't know that. I will get the right hose today.

as5672 said:
Ok thanks Blisters as I didn't know that. I will get the right hose today.
Ask for suction hose, I got some off ebay from some place in dandenong south.
Ring around as the price varies a huge amount. If you are using lay flat you'll find it doesn't like to change direction much and will kink thus restricting flow.
If you use lay flat to the banker consider making up a dropper pipe that you can screw on, that way you can run lay flat up to the banker without it kinking.
Have a look at my avatar pic, that pipe in the middle has an elbow at the bottom with a cam lock.
Bunnings sell cam locks too BTW, make sure the rubber washer is there in the female part, some people loose there's and swipe ones from the store.

Edit, this is the stuff I got http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suction-...180610?hash=item3f4a946c02:g:VhwAAOSw0e9UyG17
It's best to just use this for the suction length to pump as it's cumbersome.

Has to be Suction hose from the creek to the pump, or it will deform with the suction pressure. Try not to use plastic fitting on this as they wear and don"t seal after a while, any air leak will stop the pump sucking water.

I have a short piece of convulated plastic hose at the banker end.
I first of all setup the banker where I want it,
Then run the hose out to the pump.
That way, The layflat is straight and kink free.

Gilly47 said:
Hello all

would pool vacuum hose be any good??
from what i understand you want a flat interior surface on your hose, if you have ribbed hose the friction will lead to reduced flow. this is only an issue in my experience if youre really trying to eke out the last few liters per hour from an undersized pump. ive got one of the rato 3hp pumps and it has significantly more flow than i need to run my heavily modified sluicy g16

Latest posts