Anyone know what this is?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SC75 said:
Goldpick said:
I think the lettering will be the key to identifying it, even if just partial word or manufacturer name - other than that, haven't got a clue. :)
What's the best way to clean it Goldpick? i tried with hot water and a toothbrush.

very interesting

1509914077_20171106_071054.jpg

1509914077_20171106_071127.jpg

1509914077_20171106_071149.jpg

Hi all! just new to prospecting and to here. i went out to golden triangle (vic) today and found this in a dry creek bed about a foot down. the thing gives a high quality beep over every inch. i cant really see any gold i could say for sure, but it looks like its covered in gold dust. i mean it has little sparkles all over, as well as the quartz and other rock embedded into the main chunk. it weighs 10kg and is the size of a football, so obviously it would be nice if has got some gold in it. even if theres no gold its still looks pretty cool the way its formed (it even looks like a turtle from one side. haha.)
any info would be appreciated, or any ideas on how i can find out myself.... i have already tried googling local rock photos etc, but cant find anything that even slightly resembles it.. thanks

i can take more photos if needed too. just let me know if it will help in an identification

yeah i have that planned as a last resort. will be a hell of a job though. its pretty big and is fully cleaned so what is showing is all solid as far as i can tell. there's no dirt or clay left after i washed it.

Gday hippyhunter,
To me it looks like conglomerate.
This is when various types of rock and clay are formed together at the bottom of creeks and rivers.
Ofton you can find gold underneath that layer and sometimes amongst it.
As mentioned above , crush some of it and pan it, if its gold it will be at the bottom of the pan .
Cheers Steve

thanks stoyve. youre right actually i think. i managed to hammer and chisel off the clay layer, (was the hardest clay ive ever seen), and kept it all in a bucket for when i get my hands on a pan. i think something like iron ore maybee was in the middle. it was still pretty large and a cool shape. it was a bit easier to break down than i thought. was kinda fun too. here a photo of what was in the middle

1509940770_20171106_142310.jpg

1509940770_20171106_142342.jpg

you know silver.. i am starting to think maybee it is an old aboriginal artifact maybee. it is very tool shaped. weighs in at 4kg. that would be pretty cool if it was. maybee im grasping at straws.. but i will hang onto it and do some research and further enquiries for sure. i know nature make all kind of shaped things and so on, but its captured my imagination by its distinct tooliness

i think i need to seek legal advice about this. i cant understand the heritage act. it is too full on for me... mind you i would have trouble reading a whole newspaper front to back due to my a.d.d. lol
i am even scared a bit to try to find out what it is via most sources as those sources might expose me to big penalties if it is something cultural. damn. anyway, sorry for taking the thread off topic. but just wanted to throw this in quickly

Looks a bit like a post base, like ones used for traffic signs. It's hammered into the ground ( sometimes concreted in) and the sign post fits into the 'tube' at the top, and is wedged in with little metal wedges.

Because it sounded on your detector,I am assuming it is made of iron.Could it be the piece that digs up the ground on a plough? I think it is called a tiller.
Edit: I typed at the same time as Cairnspom and now his suggestion makes a lot of sense,explains the conglomerate of rock stuck to it.

im pretty sure its nothing modern or cast. it doesnt have the characteristics of a mdern iron object. there is no rust whatsoever. i am 99~ sure it is rock or ore of some kind naturally formed and possibly shaped by someone at some time. i actually broke a little sliver off when cleaning it up and it split like stone does. it was also multi couloured where it freshly broke from with green and red colouring to it. there was plenty of old iron in the creek around it and this looked completely different

i will clean kut the end a bit better and take another photo of the end with the hole again vecause thatbit is wierd too. it almost looks like petrified wood on that end. will post it tommorow