Anyone know what this is?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SC75

Steveo
Reaction score
I found this about 20 inches down but i have no idea what it is. It has some sort of marking/stamp on the top but its hard to see what it reads. You can make out a few letters that's about it.
Does anyone know what it is?
1487733187_img_1525.jpg

1487733211_img_1524.jpg

1487733228_img_1523.jpg

Any pics of underneath?

Could it be a bed fame finial?

Last pic looks like a bit of old 'booker' rod in a hole drilled through a token???

Have you managed to open the two sections?

:Y: Interesting find.. :D

GGA could be right maybe a bed part, the pattern looks fancy, 20 inches down :eek: :lol: :lol: ,is it bigger than the bananas in the background :rolleyes:
Maybe take a pic with it in your hand looking into the BELL? ;) mouth, looks like the trumpet off a horn maybe an air one which would have a small hole through the middle :Y: If you moisten the top and take a pic the writing should stand out better 8) :cool:
Nice one what ever it may be :cool:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...AhULipQKHQmPBfAQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=rkNjp3oyKLeeYM:
Looks maybe to big for a snuffer or is it :eek:
I think the answer is in the writing :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I think the lettering will be the key to identifying it, even if just partial word or manufacturer name - other than that, haven't got a clue. :)

GypsyGoldAu said:
Any pics of underneath?

Could it be a bed fame finial?

Last pic looks like a bit of old 'booker' rod in a hole drilled through a token???

Have you managed to open the two sections?

:Y: Interesting find.. :D
No it wont turn at all

Yup...I'd say an 'unusual' snuffer...Unusual, cos the are usually conical, or 'bell' shaped, and i think you also have the handle in that pic.

Good one..

GypsyGoldAu said:
Yup...I'd say an 'unusual' snuffer...Unusual, cos the are usually conical, or 'bell' shaped, and i think you also have the handle in that pic.

Good one..
1st thing that come to mind was some sort of bell but i don't have a clue mate.

Goldpick said:
I think the lettering will be the key to identifying it, even if just partial word or manufacturer name - other than that, haven't got a clue. :)
What's the best way to clean it Goldpick? i tried with hot water and a toothbrush.

B5MECH said:
GGA could be right maybe a bed part, the pattern looks fancy, 20 inches down :eek: :lol: :lol: ,is it bigger than the bananas in the background :rolleyes:
Maybe take a pic with it in your hand looking into the BELL? ;) mouth, looks like the trumpet off a horn maybe an air one which would have a small hole through the middle :Y: If you moisten the top and take a pic the writing should stand out better 8) :cool:
Nice one what ever it may be :cool:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...AhULipQKHQmPBfAQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=rkNjp3oyKLeeYM:
Looks maybe to big for a snuffer or is it :eek:
I think the answer is in the writing :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:
I will try to scrub it up best I can. Maybe might be able to see it.

Depend on how far you want to go, if its brass I'd probably want to polish it to a degree with fine steel wool soap pad carefully til it looks cool :cool:
It could be the handle there 8) :lol: :lol:
If you were going for the relic look I was keen to give one of those little household steam cleaner a run to see if it would take the crud from penny's
Just haven't picked it up from my storage, but would think it would clean dirt off easily with maybe a hot soak in soapy water first
Worth a try if you've got one :Y:
If it is the handle it sort of looks fragile :eek:

Numpty's got it, it's a grease nipple on top, and that top section will screw on and off of that bittom section with a fine thread, they used to fill the cups with grease in the old days, and when sevicing whatever machine it was attached to, the person on shift would give it a couple of turns to push some grease through, being that it ggas a nipple on it as well, I'd say it was on a machine that was putting pressure vack through towards the nipple ,.... that's why it has a grease nipple, so it can be unscrewed without removing, and still be able to be filled while attached ,.... sort of like the old ones on the old cement mixers, except they dont have nipples cause you can just take them off and fill them with grease while the machine is stopped.
Here's mine on my old cement mixer
1487743906_20170222_160955.jpg

oops, needs greasing before I use it hey. :D
1487743964_20170222_161025.jpg

all good, I still gotta get a good n proper electric motor for it first anyway. :Y:

Latest posts