Faceting rough

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are pretty good... The owner had a shop at Mermaid Beach, on the Gold Coast and I have purchased a lot of stuff from them. very nice prices.. Now they are only a Net based business, prices have risen a little..... :/

LoneWolf....

There is a " back from tuscon " stall In sydney in a few weeks for sydney folk . At least you can look at what your about to buy . I'll try and post a link .

Thanks for the feedback. Thought I would give them a try anyway so I bought a nice peice of citrine. Nice and cheap so no big deal if I get ripped off. Just very tricky getting rough this far north. I would prefer to see before I buy. Any one know some good rough merchants to talk to for nice garnet parcels or a good selection of amethyst?

There is a Lapidary club a few towns over. Lot of old timers. There is a gem and mineral show every now and then but last time I went through there, there wasn't much worth spending money on as far as faceting rough. Loads of excellent slabbing and cabbing material though.

SneakyCuttlefish said:
Thanks for the feedback. Thought I would give them a try anyway so I bought a nice peice of citrine. Nice and cheap so no big deal if I get ripped off. Just very tricky getting rough this far north. I would prefer to see before I buy. Any one know some good rough merchants to talk to for nice garnet parcels or a good selection of amethyst?

What area are you in SneakyCuttlefish?

LoneWolf.....

Mmmm that's a hard area for Dealers... I know a few Dealers down here on the GC, so I will ask them for you if you like... Most Dealers I know deal in Mineral specs but you never know... :)

What are you after Sneaky Cuttlefish? and I shall see what I can come up with.... O:)
Yay I got to use the Angel.... :lol:

LoneWolf....

Haha goals aye!

Thanks lonewolf. I have family down there so I can always travel I guess.

I really want the pleasure of cutting a gorgeous dark purple amethyst piece with loads of fire through it (I know, everyone else does too). Also, I am a huge fan of everything garnet. Tricky thing with garnet though is to find some stones that are clean and aren't too dark.

To be honest I have never cut anything with really rich colour before and I feel like I am missing out on something.

Lefty(on here) has been playing around with some really Dark Garnet...and has done some nice Cuts too.... Now I know what your after, I shall make a couple of calls tonight..

LoneWolf.....

You are a champ Lonewolf :cool:

What is your experience of stones for sale at Minerama? Still trying to get there myself.

Wally69 said:
You are a champ Lonewolf :cool:

What is your experience of stones for sale at Minerama? Still trying to get there myself.

O:) I try to help where I can... not much experience buying Stones, not really into that side of things. I do know the 4C's tho Colour, Cut, Clarity and in my opinion Cost Lol.... But I know a few Dealers who ''May'' have some... Although they mainly deal in Crystals, Minerals and things, you never Know unless you ask ;) Some of the Prices I have seen at Minerama, Well all I can say is 'Ouch"... but then again they are quality Stones...

Minerama at Glen Innes, Lismore Gemfest and Emmaville Gemfest and a few Shows in Brisbane are my Favourites.. :) Keen to get Down South to see whats on offer down there... :lol:

Kingsolomon, :) You may be able to help SneakyCuttlefish out... Garnets and Amethyst Rough is what He is after...

LoneWolf....

All good guys if its not there its not there. Thanks for looking lonewolf!

I might be heading over to hong kong in a few months. First overseas buying trip. Way more realistic prices than anything in AU. Just gotta keep an eye out for the fakes.

Yes watch the fakes ... they are getting real good at it now :mad: ... Thailand is another good spot to buy and full of fakes as well.... Gotta love the New Find Green Quartz on Ebay... :lol: :lol: ... There is now a website that deals in spotting Fakes...www.the-vug.com ... sorry not good with link thingys... :lol:

LoneWolf....

Latest posts