QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave yep my wrong there :8 I thought Coil price had to be added to price after page addition ................... but I used 12" evo so your at about $2300
Best I have seen SDC was $3300 but with pro sonic .................... take out the pro sonic (Which you could sell in a second), harness and headphones your getting up there.
I think more the point is your last line as it's certainly getting away from a $1000 detector as originally put out there. The bottom line is still if it works ? If so then all good I guess :Y:

Dave you posted as I did :) Correct in that at the end of the day it's up to the purchaser to buy what best suits his needs and application he plans for it .................... and if one already had a GPX and could utilize coils and shafts etc then dollar wise comes into being a good thing as long as it sniffs out that yella stuff :Y:

I very much doubt that the man who is making these machines hardly has time to scratch him self let alone workout highly accurate expense sheets, He needs time out once in a while just to recharge his batteries and stay on his game, He has done well to come this far.

The SDC is a bread and butter machine for sure, but our needs change from time to time, If a person can afford both that would be the way I would go.

Watching this thread with interest, I'm going to purchase a new PI this July for gold and have my Makro GR as a backup for when the situation calls for the HF VLF.
My first choice is a new GPX 4500 but waiting to see how performance results go with the QED between now and July.
I already have a harness, bungy & hip stick but would need to buy coils for either unit, I have a x terra 505 I could mount the QED on so if performance really looks the goods on this QED then I'd seriously have to crunch some numbers.
+ gram gold at reasonably depth (2" or deeper) is what I'm looking for with the new PI when the time comes.

The QED is supposed to be better with EMI, it's cheaper, I've got the shaft already but waiting to see good results in the coming months as users get hours on the coil in the field.

The 4500 in a proven best bang for buck PI going at the moment, costs more than the QED but happy to spend $5k for a new unit with Coiltek 14" Elite mono, 17x11 Elite mono and a good DD coil.

Whichever detector I buy I want it to be the one that'll keep me in the goldfields regularly detecting with enthusiasm for the next 5-10 years before feeling the need to update so I really hope this new QED does get the runs on the board with time as it will be an exciting time for buyers and suppliers alike if it does.

I have a new 45 no need to say any more and used a QED for a short time with a 11 commander mono with this combination I was able to work under power lines and managed to pick up a shot gun pellet so impressed with it ,the time off frame you are looking at it will have proved it self by then . I am waiting for the pricing to be sorted before I commit myself regards john :)

I would want to be confident with which ever machine before you head off on your trip, make sure you get a chance to use it a few times before you go.

Tathradj said:
I think the 1200 odd was for the box only,
Then add a coil for 1500 odd.
Keep going up with accessories.

I feel the developer BW should sell his QED control box direct himself at its original cost of $1200 and leave coils and other accessories sales to a retailer outlet.

davent said:
I would want to be confident with which ever machine before you head off on your trip, make sure you get a chance to use it a few times before you go.
No trip Dave,

The company I work for lost the contract and we're being made redundant at end of June and getting a good redundancy package then start the following week with the new company but get a much bigger area to look after with a lot more blokes to do it meaning instead of being on 'after hours' call every 4th week for 7 days I'll be on call once every 10 weeks = a lot more detecting weekends ;)
I'm taking the last week of April and first week of May off to go fishing with the wife for 5 days then going to take the camper trailer bush (Vic GT) for 5-7 days while the wife goes back to work and give the Makro a good run, rake areas and really get to know it well by the time I get back. Might take another week end of May to detect again (probably hire a 4500 from Coiltek) as it'll be a while before I get holidays again. As soon as July hits I'm going going to get a new PI (4500 or QED) and commit more weekends with RDO's to getting out detecting while the weather is cool, having a good PI and the Makro GR should cover most scenarios I come across and keep me busy while out.

It still be cheaper than an SDC .. and lighter and more versatile .. My QED is the main and have a extreme modded 3000 as backup when required ..
Prefer my 3000 as i know its ins and outs ... still need to give the QED a good chance thou.

1490005853_bat1.jpg

1490005853_bat2.jpg

on right side is fuse holder ..left side is charge socket .. at the rear is the power out plug array.
uses 6Ah lithium camera battery

Bloody rain!
Getting cabin fever....
Might have to carry a bloody whipper snipper in....

Gave the QED a run today with the commander 8" mono. After mucking about with it for half an hour or so, ran beautifully. Unfortunately, the grass is still 8 to 10 feet high, so very limited where to detect ATM, hopefully the dry is about to start, humidity down a bit. Bring on the burn off!

davent said:
Gave the QED a run today with the commander 8" mono. After mucking about with it for half an hour or so, ran beautifully.

Dave did you find any difference in the settings that you had to use with the 8" Commander compared to the settings used with your 14" x 9" and 12" Evos?

Mode 1
Volume.turned down to around 35
GB 134-136
My bias is a bit confusing, factory preset for the "null" is 50. I find 50 a bit noisy and around 52-54 seems about right. 50 gives better depth on small targets, for sure, but the background noise can be bad.

Of note. I was only about 100m back from the highway, on a hill.
Every time a road train braked, I got e.m.I.
I'm convinced its the airbrakes on the trucks, also noticed it with the 4500, now I certain of it.

If it is the same hill.I had problems with the TDI.Thought it was the engine brake though.

1491353881_dscn0443.jpg

Took the qed out today using it under power line ,started with 11 commander mono then gave the 14x9 evo a run both coils handled the condition very well the only thing the batteries went flat in the TDK wireless head phones so had to us a speaker will fit rechargeable to them. I was on old diggings that had not had much detecting on them except for ml dd in cancel and it was still noisy, I was only out for a few hours picked up 22 case pieces of wire and a shot gun pellet that made me happy :Y: regards john

Latest posts