QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northeast said:
Great to see the mods have given the QED its own area. Well done :Y: :Y:

Seeing we're the biggest and bestest forum in Aus it just made sense to do so. :perfect:

Also so many members are starting to buy them as well we thought it would be good to have a great resource for owners to share experiences in an unbiased manner.

We don't have any agenda regarding brands, we just love detectors of all types. :cool:

Heatho said:
Reg Wilson said:
Heatho, this forum is a lot less biassed than others I could mention. (but won't)

Thanks Reg, we try to be 100% non biased here, some call us a Minelab site but that's just not the case, some turkeys even think Minelab pay us, I wish it were true, lol.

They'd be the same delusional turkeys who claimed that Minelab bought me a GPZ and gave me $2K to buy a QED. I wish !
They also stated that to have found as much gold as I have I must be jumping fences at night !

Rick

I don't think you have much to complain about Rick, as you've copped a lot less than I have from certain quarters that you are no doubt familiar with. I'm sure no one wants that sort of garbage dragged over to this forum, which still is a prospecting forum. Just let it go.

Not to turn this into a full fired debate that we don't want but this is one and the main things that really get up my nose.
How can these accusations be made when there is no basis or truth involved.
I am very privy to the absolute crap and out right bullsh!t that has gone on about this very topic.
People have even been threatened with violence and such.
A good friend of mine can lay testament to that one.
The lies and accusations leveled at this site are totally unfounded and wrong.
VERY WRONG.
One of the chief people who lays these claims was banned from here because he did not toe the line with our rules and now
we are the worst plague in the world.
He was warned many, Many times but ignored what was going to be inevitable.
We the Mods stick up for both our members and freedom in an unbiased way but those who detract from what could be very a productive element pay the price for their own fool ways.
We seen the slagging match some where else and we were totally disgusted in what we seen so we stepped out of the boundary's and sent a message.
We here in Prospecting Australia welcome any comments but do not put up with any slagging.
And Reg, I seen what was aimed at you. That was just plain beyond a joke.
Now lets get back to it. :cool:

Araratgold said:
Heatho said:
Reg Wilson said:
Heatho, this forum is a lot less biassed than others I could mention. (but won't)

Thanks Reg, we try to be 100% non biased here, some call us a Minelab site but that's just not the case, some turkeys even think Minelab pay us, I wish it were true, lol.

They'd be the same delusional turkeys who claimed that Minelab bought me a GPZ and gave me $2K to buy a QED. I wish !
They also stated that to have found as much gold as I have I must be jumping fences at night !

Rick

Reg,
I will get to things QED related below.

Before I " let it go " as you suggest, may I remind you that YOU were one of the people who were accusing me of being on the Minelab payroll, ( which is utter B/S ) per these quotes of yours from Finders Forum :

" Rick is a big poster of his Minelab successes and no doubt receives their support in one way or another, as various people who praise Minelab do "
" A setup by an ex Minelab dealer " and " Inhere, the big difference between you and Rick.... You obviously have no hidden agenda. Rick's cheque will be in the mail or maybe a new GPZ8000. You played it all wrong mate. Instead of finding a nice colour with the QED, you should have rubbished it, and got a free detector from MInelab "

A simple question for you Reg, YES or NO is all that is required :
Do you think it acceptable for Howard, the maker of the QED, to verbally abuse and denigrate a customer ( me ) on Doug's forum and on a facebook group ( where he was quickly blocked by admin and his comments removed ) ? Enough said !

Now to things QED related, relative to its nearest competitor, the GPX4500.
I will add the caveat that I used the QED for about 100 hours in Vic / WA, but have now sold it, at a substantial % hit.
Some things to ponder below given the " headline " price of Stinky Pete's QED package, which is $1850 ( with no headphones, one coil, only 2 year warranty ) and the price for a new GPX4500 is $3400. This is for the benefit of those who might be considering buying either machine.

1) The GPX can use a Coiltek AI coil beside an electric fence, with quiet and sensitive results. The QED can not do this.

2) The GPX can run a DD coil in cancel mode under high voltage powerlines, with quiet and sensitive results. The QED can not do this.

3) The GPX can run a mono coil in cancel to pinpoint large targets, such as tin can / horse shoe. The QED can not do this.

4) The QED has poor audio output, and Reg Wilson advised that to get the best out of it, you will need GOOD headphones ( not supplied, extra expense ). The Minelab's have excellent audio quality thanks to the input of the world class audiophile Bruce Candy.

5) If you want to run speakers on a backpack with a QED, you will need to factor in the extra expense of a booster ( +$200 ). The GPX comes standard with an amplified battery system that speakers will run direct from.

6) The QED is fiddly to use, especially in highly variable ground, requiring constant adjustment to the GB. The GPX has excellent automatic ground tracking, with a choice of slow medium or fast. Or you can CHOOSE to use it in fixed GB if you are gridding a small area.

7) The QED comes with only one coil, no headphones, 2 year warranty, backed by not much. The GPX comes with 2 coils, headphones, amplified battery system, is relatively light weight, 3 year warranty, a nationwide dealer support network backed by a big company with a proven track record.

8) Minelab users can publicly criticise the company without fear ( Reg Wilson called the 19 inch GPZ coil a " DOG " ), and I myself have been very critical of some of their build quality and ergonomics, including writing to them. We all know what happens to QED customers who are game enough to point out it's weaknesses !

9) The resale price of used QED's is poor.

10) The QED's strong points are it's light weight, lower cost and reasonable performance for your dollars.

Just a few things to think about. If you only have $1850 to spend, well the QED is your only option ( however bear in mind the potential add on costs ). If you have a little more to spend, the GPX4500 is a no brainer, because of its superior versatility, included equipment, warranty / support, and performance.
Which brings me to my final point : I have yet to find anyone who does not have a vested interest in the QED, who will PUBLICLY state that the QED will even match the GPX4500 or SDC, let alone exceed it.

I will also add that the GPZ can not do many of the things that the GPX can do, weighs more, and costs a fair bit more ! Which is what makes the GPX4500 such a versatile machine. But for overall outright performance, the GPZ beats everything.

Food for thought !

Rick

PS, Doug is now saying that I am wrong regarding the AI coil beside an electric fence.
Perhaps I should have said that I have tried the QED with an AI beside an electric fence and it would not work quietly and sensitively. IE it would not pick up my 0.3 gram test ball.
Also, there are different types of E fences around, so maybe the QED just didn't like that one.
If Doug can disprove that, with a clip of it running quietly and sensitively, with an AI coil beside an operating E fence, I will publicly apologise !

Rick

Many of your points are rubbish Rick, but rather than vent your spleen here I suggest you meet me at the Laanecoorie bash and say these things to my face. I copped your rot in the past on the 1.5 forum and this forum is not the place for the denigration you appear to be obsessed with. See you at Laanecoorie.

Reg,

Where is the spleen venting and denigration ? All I have done, as a user of both machines, is point out the differences between the two. Somehow, this is denigration ? This is, after all, a forum, where information is meant to be shared, be it good bad or ugly !

I have also pointed out that you wrote, on a public forum, that I somehow get paid by Minelab, which is nothing short of a lie, and is therefore libellous!

Since this thread is meant to be about the QED, how about you explain to the masses which of the " many of my points are rubbish ", and why you consider them to be rubbish.

As you already know Reg, I won't be at Laanecoorie, so you are wasting your time trying to goad me.

I also will not be making any more comments re the QED anywhere, as I, and a few others have discovered, it is just not worth the grief.

PS " A pity you won't be at Laanecoorie Rick as the bash is for a good cause, but I understand why "

Reg, yes it is a good cause, but I already donate to various charitable causes, including PanCare. As I told you months ago, my wife and I have previous engagements, not that I should have to explain to you, or anyone else !

Rick

Araratgold said:
Reg,
I will get to things QED related below.

Before I " let it go " as you suggest, may I remind you that YOU were one of the people who were accusing me of being on the Minelab payroll, ( which is utter B/S ) per these quotes of yours from Finders Forum :

" Rick is a big poster of his Minelab successes and no doubt receives their support in one way or another, as various people who praise Minelab do "
" A setup by an ex Minelab dealer " and " Inhere, the big difference between you and Rick.... You obviously have no hidden agenda. Rick's cheque will be in the mail or maybe a new GPZ8000. You played it all wrong mate. Instead of finding a nice colour with the QED, you should have rubbished it, and got a free detector from MInelab "

A simple question for you Reg, YES or NO is all that is required :
Do you think it acceptable for Howard, the maker of the QED, to verbally abuse and denigrate a customer ( me ) on Doug's forum and on a facebook group ( where he was quickly blocked by admin and his comments removed ) ? Enough said !

Now to things QED related, relative to its nearest competitor, the GPX4500.
I will add the caveat that I used the QED for about 100 hours in Vic / WA, but have now sold it, at a substantial % hit.
Some things to ponder below given the " headline " price of Stinky Pete's QED package, which is $1850 ( with no headphones, one coil, only 2 year warranty ) and the price for a new GPX4500 is $3400. This is for the benefit of those who might be considering buying either machine.

1) The GPX can use a Coiltek AI coil beside an electric fence, with quiet and sensitive results. The QED can not do this.

2) The GPX can run a DD coil in cancel mode under high voltage powerlines, with quiet and sensitive results. The QED can not do this.

3) The GPX can run a mono coil in cancel to pinpoint large targets, such as tin can / horse shoe. The QED can not do this.

4) The QED has poor audio output, and Reg Wilson advised that to get the best out of it, you will need GOOD headphones ( not supplied, extra expense ). The Minelab's have excellent audio quality thanks to the input of the world class audiophile Bruce Candy.

5) If you want to run speakers on a backpack with a QED, you will need to factor in the extra expense of a booster ( +$200 ). The GPX comes standard with an amplified battery system that speakers will run direct from.

6) The QED is fiddly to use, especially in highly variable ground, requiring constant adjustment to the GB. The GPX has excellent automatic ground tracking, with a choice of slow medium or fast. Or you can CHOOSE to use it in fixed GB if you are gridding a small area.

7) The QED comes with only one coil, no headphones, 2 year warranty, backed by not much. The GPX comes with 2 coils, headphones, amplified battery system, is relatively light weight, 3 year warranty, a nationwide dealer support network backed by a big company with a proven track record.

8) Minelab users can publicly criticise the company without fear ( Reg Wilson called the 19 inch GPZ coil a " DOG " ), and I myself have been very critical of some of their build quality and ergonomics, including writing to them. We all know what happens to QED customers who are game enough to point out it's weaknesses !

9) The resale price of used QED's is poor.

10) The QED's strong points are it's light weight, lower cost and reasonable performance for your dollars.

Just a few things to think about. If you only have $1850 to spend, well the QED is your only option ( however bear in mind the potential add on costs ). If you have a little more to spend, the GPX4500 is a no brainer, because of its superior versatility, included equipment, warranty / support, and performance.
Which brings me to my final point : I have yet to find anyone who does not have a vested interest in the QED, who will PUBLICLY state that the QED will even match the GPX4500 or SDC, let alone exceed it.

I will also add that the GPZ can not do many of the things that the GPX can do, weighs more, and costs a fair bit more ! Which is what makes the GPX4500 such a versatile machine. But for overall outright performance, the GPZ beats everything.

Food for thought !

Rick

I did :D ...
I think it was even in this very thread...

Have a nice day

Cando said:
One of the big pluses that qed has over my gpx 4500 is it's not affected by electric fences, power lines, emi in general anywhere near as much as the gpx.. you only have to fart in the Direction of the 4500 and goes stupid. I can't even carry my pro pointer when using my GPX 4500 without a chucking spaz. This weekend I tested both machines on targets found by a zed... out of three targets the qed it hit 2 out 3 which to be honest one signal was so faint I probably would have missed it. The other one was a good signal and I would have only dug one it. The GPX 4500 hit 1 Target out of 3. It was a good signal and I would have dug it. The target I would have Dug with the qed and the GPX 4500 was lead shot, the one Target both machine missed was gold. The qed and the 4500 we're on a par. The winner of the day was the zed. To be honest for me, GPX 4500 spends more time in the car than the qed. And right now I'm wondering how much I enjoy this hobby because I'm feeling like I'm going to go down the zed path, just deciding which body organ and how many I'm going to have to sell for the zed.. :lol: out of the Qed and GPX 4500, I'll be keeping the qed as a backup as I prefer using it and as time goes on I believe it will get better with updates.. :)

Perhaps I should have clarified my statement to equal or exceed the versatility , but feel free, if others think the QED is as good, to say so.
Rick

All good.. I still stand by what I said. since getting the zed i have been finding gold with the Zed and the Qed. My preferred coil for the Qed of late has been the Sadie 8 x6. I'll be purchasing sdc 2300 in the near future. I think it's a damn good machine and as well my wife preferred using it over the qed and zed. In short I enjoy using all of them and they have their place and jobs to.
I stopped posting in this thread and because of all the bulshit, let's just get back on track ;)
:) Noel

Interesting thread . Bit like watching a pingpong game.
For perspective, Im an avid Ford fan, most of my mates are very very avid Holden fans.
We watch the races & have an almost religious 'Bathurst Sunday' get-together every year (since 1986).
We sledge the crap out of each other all day, abuse each other, & then after its over, have another beer & forget about our differences of opinion till the next race.
I dont own & have never used a QED, but now im curious & want to try one for myself. Just for the hell of it.
In every aspect of engineering, every machine may do things differently, & some things better or worse than others. that's life
:beer: :beer:

Latest posts