QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May be useful for future buyers if a list was compiled of what coils, audio systems etc don't pair well with the QED ................ could save wasting money on items that simply won't work with it?
I see a few currently for sale at the moment and I dare say no more :rolleyes:
Ararat once again appreciate your honest feedback :Y:

QED tips.

One feature of the QED that I have found useful occurs when a target has been dug and is in the heap of material removed from the hole.
It has always been my habit to lay the detector near the heap on its side, with the coil in a vertical position. It is easy to wave handfuls of dirt past the coil to identify the target, however various types of popular detector brands have such a problem with EMI that spurious sounds make this an arduous and difficult task. This can be remedied by laying the coil flat, parallel with the ground, and maybe using a plastic scoop, but this is not as convenient as just waving a suspect handful of dirt past the vertical coil. The QED, because of its better resistance to EMI, makes identifying a target once dug, quicker and easier.

The type of coil you choose to use on a QED is a matter of personal preference, and as long as you use a ML PI compatible Mono coil, it will work just fine. There are many after market coils of various shapes and sizes to choose from, and the advantage of the QED is that you can adjust the detector settings to get the best out of your choice of coils from very small coils for finding tiny pieces, up to extremely large coils for those lager deeper nuggets. The QED has the power to operate a wide range of coils, and when you opt for a large coil, get ready to dig some pretty serious holes. (don't forget to back fill them)

Going cordless with the QED is easy, and not necessarily expensive. ML and Garrett produce cordless systems , but they are not cheap. There are a number of options, and I have covered these in previous posts.

As far as second hand QEDs being on the market. There are all sorts of s/h detectors on the market, as people sell them for all sorts of reasons. A s/h QED presents an opportunity to pick up a very good machine at a reduced price.

Reg Wilson said:
QED tips.

The type of coil you choose to use on a QED is a matter of personal preference, and as long as you use a ML PI compatible Mono coil, it will work just fine. .

Reg what would you say is your one preferred coil of choice that you use for the majority of detecting with your QED?

Reg if I was to have a guess then I would say your 14" Elite although would the 11" Ultra and 12" Evo give it a run for the money.

Also of interest is what Modes suits each coil of choice and how does one decide which Mode is best for the coil?

Rush, thanks for your inquiry, and coils play an important part in the performance of any detector, and the QED is no exception. Different strokes for different folks, or should that read different coils for different situations? I have 2 QEDs. One is my old prototype, which in comparison to the latest PL2 is a bit noisy and temperamental, taking a while to warm up, and not as forgiving regarding ground balance and tuning. I refuse to let Howard update it as I want to keep it as is was built. It is still a damned good machine, but takes a bit of mastering. On this QED I am currently running an 8" Commander which I use in scrubby country where a small coil works best.
On ground where a bit more movement is possible I run the PL2 with an 11" Elite. The PL2 is a great machine which handles the later flat wound coil with relative ease. Flat and spiral wound coils do have some extra 'boogy', but are generally noisier than the bundle wound coils, and can be temperamental in severe ground. This seems to be true regardless of which brand of detector used.
Obviously I cannot afford to buy every option of coil available, but hope to test some others shortly, due to some people that have been kind enough to loan me some. As far as larger coils are concerned, I really like the Nuggetfinder 25" three spoke coil, which is very light, stable, and has some serious punch. My mate JR Beatty now has a PL2 which he is running in conjunction with the Elite 14", a combination he just raves about.
PS As far as mode is concerned it is a matter of trial and error to ascertain the ideal combination. In nasty ground I have found it is sometimes necessary to increase the mode and then also increase the gain to a point where the machine remains stable. A compromise and balance of these two functions will give you a workable level without any significant loss of depth.

Hi guys

I'm debating wether to purchase a new GPX4500 or the QED PI2.

I'd like to hear from anyone that have owned or still owns both the 4500 and QED..

I understand conditions, coil choice and tuning is all important, putting those variables aside which in your personal opinion do you think is the better all round detector?

Gut feelings are fine :)

goldbug said:
Hi guys

I'm debating wether to purchase a new GPX4500 or the QED PI2.

I'd like to hear from anyone that have owned or still owns both the 4500 and QED..

I understand conditions, coil choice and tuning is all important, putting those variables aside which in your personal opinion do you think is the better all round detector?

Gut feelings are fine :)

Hi Goldbug. It would probably be better for you to start a new topic for your query and let this topic continue with QED information.

Cheers

Ramjet

Got my QED from ronniecruisin this week, hangin to get it out on some of the old alluvial workings round beaconsfield and see what I can find. I think I feel a sicky coming on! Never owned a PI detector before so hopefully that will be an advantage. Lotsa learning coming up but first impressions are really good. So light and comfortable to swing round the backyard!

Some of the more "impressive" bits of lead found with the QED today. Now I've just gotta swing it over something yellow but the size of the bits and the strong signals give me confidence.
1534664416_rps20180819_173440.jpg

Happy to see competition to the minelabs. I might get myself a Christmas present this year :D Have liked the sdc 2300 for a while now but keep an open mind about alternatives such as the QED, for me threads like this and positive/negative reveiws about various machines are helpful and of interest. Keep them coming :Y:

Goldfreak said:
Happy to see competition to the minelabs. I might get myself a Christmas present this year :D Have liked the sdc 2300 for a while now but keep an open mind about alternatives such as the QED, for me threads like this and positive/negative reveiws about various machines are helpful and of interest. Keep them coming :Y:

I'm intrigued... Where is this competition to the Minelabs that you speak of? Brand? Model? More info?

Nuggetbuster said:
Goldfreak said:

I'm intrigued... Where is this competition to the Minelabs that you speak of? Brand? Model? More info?
Like I said I have liked the sdc for some time but keep an open mind about other machines such as the QED. I have not tried a QED but have tried an sdc so other people's reviews are all I have to go by for now.

Dave79, the QED will out perform an SDC when it comes to depth, especially when it comes to larger targets at depth, because the SDC is limited by its coil size, where as the QED has the power to run even huge coils. I have even run a 3' mono on a QED and tested it on targets at depths that were hard to believe. Having used big tow coils since the 1980s on all manner of machines I can assure you that the QED when fitted with the appropriate coil will give you lots of depth.
Depth is not the be all to end all in any case, as being in the right place is in my opinion more important. Therefore research is the imperative. Most of the big nuggets that I have detected over the past 40 years ( 7 over 20ozs ) were not at great depth at all. The last one ( 27 ozs ) could be heard a foot above the ground.
What I like about the QED is its great target response, and the fact that it it so light and well balanced that even an old coot like me can swing it all day and be confident that it will miss very little.

Yeah, I've got a little tiny coil at the moment which is great for poking in between the scrub around here (Tassie ) and I'm sure that being my first time out I'll be able to play with some settings to get Lizzy (after the queen) running even sweeter. And if a fire goes through a goldfield I'll be investing in a bigger coil express post. I love the weight and balance of the detector and she's running really well on the Tassie fields. Like you say, it's where you swing it that is most important.

Some nice nuggets in a photo that have been detected with the QED has now been posted on a couple of other forums.

Latest posts