QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see mentioned on another forum that 11 short instruction videos for the QED has just been released and is up on YouTube for anyone who is interested, although I do not have a link for them.

A quick update re QED : it has been put away after a week as I can not get the thing to run quietly enough on the very variable and hotrock infested ground. Farts and sqeaks every few feet, whereas the ZED and Kayes 4500 does it easily. There may be somewhere in WA where it may run quietly, but not where I am ! I can not trust it to not miss the quiet little targets that the ZED has already sniffed out.

Rick

In addition to my post above : I have just had a chance to watch one of Stinky Petes videos ( 6 and a bit minute one ) and have noted a few things. He walked up to a target that had already been located ( with what ????? ) but notice every time he picks up or puts down the QED it sqeaks ? The ground I am working is highly variable and very uneven with large rocks, and it sqeaks every time I move up and down over this rough terrain. Some of the gold I have been finding with the ZED is small and deep, and you would not have a hope of hearing them with the QED in between all the sqeaking it does ! All right if you have lovely flat ground with small stones per SPs video, and shallow gold.
I might add that I have had no trouble getting it to ground balance, that is not the problem. The constant sqeaking is the issue, drives you mad, and sounds like small targets !
Per Doug for years on his forum : Dealers can not be trusted, well SP is a dealer of the QED so go figure !
I have invested $2100 in the QED hoping that it would be good over here in WA, but it falls well short of suitable. I will be selling it when I get back and will take the financial hit. I know of another QED user with the same problems over here.
PS : I will do a video of it mis-behaving and upload it when I get back home.

Rick

Rick, you have achieved what you always intended to do, which was to rubbish the QED. You always had such an agenda, and your report comes as no surprise. What you have proved is nothing more than the fact that you have been unable to adapt to a technology that is different to that which you have been familiar with, although I doubt you ever intended otherwise. How is it that I have had success with the QED that you have not, and I would put my 40 year proven gold recovery up against yours any day.

Reg,
With due respect, until you have tried to use a QED over here in WA, how the hell would you know, as it is totally different to detecting farm paddocks in Vic ??
Also, with due respect, why would I fork out that much of my hard earned just so I can poo hooh it ?
Agendas, are you serious ?? I really hoped that it might be a cheap alternate to a 4500 for WA, but alas it is not.
Also, I got it to run well in Vic, but not well enough to consider using it instead of my ZED, and yes, I realise that it is only a quarter of the price !

Rick

Tathradj, you will be meeting me at Laanecoorie, and I will be donating gold again this year. I invite Rick to match my donation and look forward to discussing a few things with him. Never mind the due respect Rick, I prospected WA years before you ever set foot there.

Oh, Off topic but Thank You for your support.
It's a great cause. :Y: :Y:
And a great time to meet every one. :D

Yes Tathradj, I donated the gold for the gold map hunt, which the young girls did such a great job of selling. Jim Stewart and I were good mates and had a lot of laughs together. At one time we detected at WA together with wonderful prospectors James Beatty and John Hider Smith, who was the most successful prospector it was my pleasure to work with. Together we found many hundreds of ounces. It was a sad day we put Jim in the ground at Creswick.

Reg Wilson said:
Tathradj, you will be meeting me at Laanecoorie, and I will be donating gold again this year. I invite Rick to match my donation and look forward to discussing a few things with him. Never mind the due respect Rick, I prospected WA years before you ever set foot there.

That may be the case Reg, but NOT with a QED, and that is my point !

I am not the only one having troubles with it over here.

Rick

Rick, if you had taken the time to learn how to use the machine properly before you left for the west you may have had better results. Just because you can use a ML machine doesn't make you a master of any detector you happen to pick up. You had the chance to get a good insight from Howard on its use but figured you didn't need it. If I see you at Laanecoorie I shall give you a few pointers. Will you be there?

Reg Wilson said:
Rick, if you had taken the time to learn how to use the machine properly before you left for the west you may have had better results. Just because you can use a ML machine doesn't make you a master of any detector you happen to pick up. You had the chance to get a good insight from Howard on its use but figured you didn't need it. If I see you at Laanecoorie I shall give you a few pointers. Will you be there?

Reg , I went to Howards place and picked up my machine in person, and Howard showed me how to use it in his backyard.
I then put over 50 hours of use on it before coming to WA, and per my reply above had it running well, but it will not run well here in WA, unless dumbed down to a useless level.

And no, I wont be at the bash, as I will be elsewhere.

Rick

Reg, I don't think it's fair to keep on about this, Rick has given what seems to be a pretty fair assesment of how the detector is performing for him in his chosen area and really I don't think implying that he doesn't know what he's doing is going to change how the detector is working for him. I've seen what people on other forums have been saying as well and really it's not very nice at all. Even the bloke who manufactures it is getting in on the act..... which is appalling and pathetic. You don't see Minelab employees going around on different forums calling people names for not likeing their detectors.

This thread has been allowed to continue to give members here a perspective on this detector, whether they are good or not so good results. The manufacturer is welcome to join in on the conversation here too if he can leave the nastiness elsewhere.

Also saying Rick has an agenda is a bit rich as well as I've seen the agenda on other forums and that is to try and discredit and abuse anyone who doesn't give a glowing report on the thing. Not a great marketing strategy......

Heatho, you mention what has been said on other forums. Did you by any chance see page after page of denigration of myself and the QED on the 1.5 forum? This topic is supposed to be for the readers to gather information on the use, tuning, and other aspects of the QED detector, not an opportunity for a bagging session. As a moderator I notice that your list of detectors lacks only the Gold Monster to cover Minelab's entire range, however I am confident that this does not show any bias, and that you will remain neutral in your position.
It is unfortunate that you live so far away from where the Laanecoorie Bash is held, otherwise the Bash would be a good opportunity for you to take a look at the QED and see it being demonstrated. If some people appear to be over reactive to the criticism of the QED it is more than likely due to the concerted effort of a few to sabotage and destroy this all Australian detector that performs on a level with much more expensive machines.
I noticed on U Tube that a rather unflattering test on the Gold Monster was met with an absolute barrage of abuse, so this sort of behavior cuts both ways, and can bring out the worst in people regardless of their opinions of whatever make of detector. Without mentioning which one, I have been in a detector shop and overheard a conversation with the employee and a customer where the employee was giving the QED a complete rubbishing even though I know he had never used one. As I have said, it cuts both ways.

There was a time when folks were happy that you bought a detector and were part of the hobby, Nower days brand wars are destroying this hobby, Say the slightest thing and WWIII breaks out, Two years ago it reached it's peak after a long slow build up and it's still going on, It does not matter whether you pay 5K 10K or 2k none of them are perfect but because of the brand thing people are prepared to put up with their short comings and then start the mud slinging.

My PI runs perfect better than any other on the market but without a coil change it is about as blind as a Bat, Great for the beach or Relic hunting but not so hot on tiny Gold, All the others have their quirks, None of them are perfect and if it was not for after market coils half of the nuggets would never have been found, But we still claim the Detector is the star of the show.

If there is a problem with a detector then it need to be discussed without the personal stuff because threads get locked and people vanish and then other folks are left without finding answers to the problems and it starts all over again, things don't need to be like that, It's a hobby and it is supposed to be fun, Say something about a brand and people react as if they were saying it about ya wife, It's a Hi Tech Toy for goodness sake and each and everyone of us would give it up in a heartbeat if something better came along, but if someone says something about it and "BOOM" all the nastiness starts. and that drives people from the forum even worse from the hobby, Those of us who have been here long enough have seen some great people come and go and that's a shame.

This thread needs to stay focussed on the issues and not twist back on those who want to resolve a problem.

Reg Wilson said:
Heatho, you mention what has been said on other forums. Did you by any chance see page after page of denigration of myself and the QED on the 1.5 forum? This topic is supposed to be for the readers to gather information on the use, tuning, and other aspects of the QED detector, not an opportunity for a bagging session. As a moderator I notice that your list of detectors lacks only the Gold Monster to cover Minelab's entire range, however I am confident that this does not show any bias, and that you will remain neutral in your position.
It is unfortunate that you live so far away from where the Laanecoorie Bash is held, otherwise the Bash would be a good opportunity for you to take a look at the QED and see it being demonstrated. If some people appear to be over reactive to the criticism of the QED it is more than likely due to the concerted effort of a few to sabotage and destroy this all Australian detector that performs on a level with much more expensive machines.
I noticed on U Tube that a rather unflattering test on the Gold Monster was met with an absolute barrage of abuse, so this sort of behavior cuts both ways, and can bring out the worst in people regardless of their opinions of whatever make of detector. Without mentioning which one, I have been in a detector shop and overheard a conversation with the employee and a customer where the employee was giving the QED a complete rubbishing even though I know he had never used one. As I have said, it cuts both ways.

Hey Reg, yes I have seen what was said, it was way over the top and I certainly wouldn't approve of it at all, I also think you handled that crap with dignity. Yeah I do own a few minelabs and I'm certainly not biased either, maybe I'll have to buy another brand to prove that I'm not biased.... :) Hell I even liked the little Aldi detector I used to have, I found enough with that to buy my CTX. I'm no brand loyalist, I'll use what works for me, seems you do the same and for a lot longer as well.

Anyway you say that this thread is for tips and tricks on the QED, fair enough, maybe Rick would like to start a new thread on his findings with the QED in WA so as to not change the direction of this thread. I think both of your opinions are very valid in regard to the QED. Maybe you'd like to start a new thread as well, on the benefits of the QED in areas you have successfully detected with it, settings used, setup and finds.

Either way, regardless of everything I still reckon the QED deserves a fair go and so do the users and owners of it.

Anyway robust discussion is encouraged but please keep it civil, I'm not saying hasn't been but lets just keep it constructive.

Thanks

One thing I love about this thread is that when there is a problem or a troubled operator someone chips in with a solution and bam problem solved, I love how someone can solve it in seconds and the thread moves forward, This is a good thread and I don't own either an ML or QED but I have enjoyed the input from every person who has posted in it,

A couple of interesting observations regarding the QED.
Twice now I have seen situations where QEDs have become touch sensitive. Touching or bumping the coil or the control box would elicit a signal. Perplexing for sure, and not sure what causes it, however as it turns out, the remedy is quite simple. A factory reset solves the problem completely and immediately. A reset is quite simple. Turn off the detector. With the detector turned off, depress the button on the left and hold it down. Now depress the on button. (the next button to the one you are holding down) The display will activate, and then immediately release both buttons. The detector will now be on and operating in factory reset. Do not hold the buttons down for too long or the detector will turn off. If this happens, simply start the sequence again. You can now alter your settings for the best tuning of machine, coil, and terrain.

Some types of transmitters, amplifiers and speakers will interfere with the stability of the QED when they are mounted on the side of the electronics box. Should this occur you may need to mount these appliances elsewhere. The Sennheiser Wi Fi transmitter does not seem to cause this problem, but some Bluetooth devices do.