QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The politics do not interest me. I am only interested in the detector and its ability to find gold. Since I began testing the QED for Howard Rockey, the builder of the detector I have endured all manor of personal attacks from one forum in particular, where it has been claimed that among other things that I have a financial interest in this detector. This is simply untrue. I only have an interest in seeing how far the QED can be developed. I have always found Howard to be a gentleman, and I respect his technical ability and his dedication to his project. He is most helpful to buyers of the QED and provides a very prompt update for those that require it.
Some may find that the QED is difficult to adapt to after using other brands of detectors if they try to apply the techniques that they are used to. The QED is different in a number of respects, so different rules apply. One criticism is that it can be difficult to ground balance in variable or changing ground. To overcome this I have found it sometimes helps to increase the mode to 8 and then bring the gain up to compensate. A gain of 6 should do the trick. Experimentation is the way to go, just as with any new machine until you find the combination that works the best.
For the folks who would like to see some QED gold there were photos on the American 'Detector Prospector' forum.

Mod edit:
Note: Reg Wilson is no longer a QED tester.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Reg and again appreciated as like yourself also have no interest in the politics. In saying that I feel for Howard, for as I have said, the politics in my eyes have certainly not done him any favours and in fact the contrary I would say. I have also noted it to a degree is a work in progress and no issue with that either,as he provides the improvements free as they are found to be needed. Will continue to try and source one, for we are not talking big dollars here, but like anything I purchase I make sure I know what I'm buying. Hopefully the dust can settle across all the boards / forums and once the haze lifts the machine will show to prove itself :Y: .
Give me a broom handle with dogs bowl on the end of it and as long as it finds gold I'll buy it :p

Edited as Heatho has a job to do but the editing had taken entire post out of the context it was written.
No issue Heatho just saying it as it is :Y:

Carefull Bogger, the mod team does not want this rediculous fight to continue on this forum, there have been numerous warnings about it and we will not tolerate it. The bloke mentioned was banned because he wanted to continue it here.

We only keep the QED topics on here to benefit the members on PA that own them, it's not for anyone else benefit.

Don't let them get to you, a lot of nasty things have been said, don't lower yourself.

Bogger said:
Edited as Heatho has a job to do but the editing had taken entire post out of the context it was written.
No issue Heatho just saying it as it is :Y:

No issue with the mods doing what they feel is best, but just wanted to say Boggs I was fortunate enough to read your original post in its entirety :Y:

Look fellas it was a tough call as the mod team know what has been said on various forums, and we decided early on that we don't want it going on here no matter what is said elsewhere. The reason I decided to remove the images and the copy and paste was more for copyright reasons before we got a message from "someone" demanding it be removed.....

I know they do it from here but you know what, who gives a rats bum, not many people read the other ones anyway. :)

Heatho said:
Look fellas it was a tough call as the mod team know what has been said on various forums, and we decided early on that we don't want it going on here no matter what is said elsewhere. The reason I decided to remove the images and the copy and paste was more for copyright reasons before we got a message from "someone" demanding it be removed.....

I know they do it from here but you know what, who gives a rats bum, not many people read the other ones anyway. :)

As said no issue here Heatho and as my dear old mum used to tell me, Two wrongs a right doesn't make.

MT much appreciated you could se where I was coming from :Y:

No appologies needed and I totally agree with Bogger as well. Also we shouldn't have to defend ourselves across different forums for asking questions or having an opinion. Some things said about other members here have been quite unsavoury.

Anyway let's get back on topic please.

My apologies to Ridge Runner, as I realized I did not answer his query. When running the 18" Detech and the 25" Nuggetfinder I found that no harness was required as these coils are very light, even the Nuggetfinder, which is the Litz wire 3 spoke coil. The earlier 25" 4 spoke coil is a bit heavier. For the handmade 36" 'monster' I have found it necessary to use a harness. I use the Minelab harness as I still own a GPX, and I find this combination works quite well, although it is best to carry a pick over my shoulder as the very large coil will pick it up if it is on my belt.

Out of sync audio vs video is very prevalent on YouTube and particularly noticeable in amateur-filmed live music videos, where the drummer often looks to be playing out of time, or close-ups of guitarists' hands make it look like they're miming!

I'm not sure whether the poor synchronisation arises from underpowered/overloaded phone processing software/hardware, or the compression system used to reduce online video bandwidth/file size (or a combination thereof). Either way, I wouldn't use an amateur YouTube video as a basis for judging lag in any detector/booster/speaker/headphones system, as there's too many outside variables affecting the syncing of what is seen and heard.

These videos suffer from a bad EMI problem, which is perplexing as there has not been any EMI at Howards house or mine. I would not have made such a video where the EMI was so bad, although it was interesting to see that nifty little amp and the cordless phones. Running the QED under power lines has not produced as much interference as is obvious in those videos, and I wonder if it could not have been adjusted out. I'm still in the dark as to what products they were. Why produce videos that only tell you half the story?

Yeah Dave, do you know what that little booster is? I wouldn't mind one of them to hook into my system. Would give my noise cancelers some boogy.

Araratgold said:
madtuna said:
Looking forward to your review from WA.

It's yet to be seen whether the QED will handle the noisy iron and salt rich ground of WA.

Rick

Just finished watching some videos on YouTube displaying the QED detecting comfortably over WA ground.

As Madtuna says I too am looking forward to Rick's review from WA with his QED.

Latest posts