You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

GypsyGoldAu
20 February 2017 08:43 pm

big_smile ... so besides adapting to settings davent, did you manage to stumble over some finds?

Understand if you prefer not to share. wink

GGA

GGA Mobile Electroplating (Mil. Std_865d Certified) Industrial & Decorative.
8) http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/gy … aryborough

gef12
20 February 2017 08:54 pm

Well didnt hear Dave shouting with joy ... probably found as much as me .. BB shot ,, lead bullets.. cartridges .. ..and the tiniest of bits of wire in a scraped patch
which makes u wonder .. every now and then the odd spike comming thru from distant storms ..nothing to worry about. Also adjust the bias on odd occasion as this controls a sensitive device .so will fluctuate... so only adjusting 1 or 2 either side of your set figure. Other than that machine ran smooth and quiet .

1 user likes this post: GypsyGoldAu

davent
20 February 2017 10:45 pm

Found a hilux at about 12" and a troopy at 18" plus!
Hard digging, and needed extra help to get them out!

Tons of weight, and a 3 hour wait!

3 users like this post: Ridge Runner, Chewy, Kaiser Soze

neddy
21 February 2017 08:17 am

Just wondering if you buy only the control box does it come with warrantee. If you rigged up a non standard battery system and the unit packed up you could leave yourself wide open. A lot of manufacturers will do anything to get out of warranty claims.

petere
21 February 2017 08:31 am

davent wrote:

Found a hilux at about 12" and a troopy at 18" plus!
Hard digging, and needed extra help to get them out!

Tons of weight, and a 3 hour wait!

I'm guessing the extra help would have been a Jeep lol

1 user likes this post: grubstake

Retirement Stone
21 February 2017 08:31 am

Nice work Dave!!!!!!!

The silence is deafening from the QED knockers that I have been reading on here!!!!!

Nice video work as well!!

Cheers mate good work.

RS

GPZ 7000, SDC 2300, Walbanker, Garrett pans, Determination and a touch of insanity mixed with Gold Fever!

Tathradj
21 February 2017 09:12 am

Because we remove the post's if unsuitable. devil

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.

3 users like this post: Retirement Stone, LC76, mxt sniper

Ridge Runner
21 February 2017 09:36 am

LOL lol lol lol

It's showing good possibilities so far.

Last edited by Ridge Runner (21 February 2017 09:38 am)

Dig em all,

G.B.
22 February 2017 12:18 am

Can you explain why you run the threshold so low that it sounds like there is no threshold.

What happens if you crank the threshold up.

mbasko
22 February 2017 09:15 pm

G.B. wrote:

Can you explain why you run the threshold so low that it sounds like there is no threshold.

What happens if you crank the threshold up.

Has it got a threshold adjustment? I thought I'd seen it's adjusted by volume & the bias. Seems to be dictated by a few factors?

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

gef12
23 February 2017 02:51 pm

Yes has a threshold and is called Bias and the Volume can also assist with finer adjustment if required.
The bias is as described as a balance beam .. in the centre is the null zone or dead zone as described and down is towards low tc targets and up is towards high tc targets ... if searching for small targets go down or if searching for large targets move higher ..
It is unlike other metal detector thresholds ..so is a new learning curve for most

G.B.
23 February 2017 09:42 pm

So without all the razzle dazzle and in plain english why do you have to run the threshold so low.

Also what would happen if you raised the threshold level to a louder threshold that could be clearly heard or would that cause the detector to become unstable due to excessive emi or ground noise.

gef12
24 February 2017 12:52 pm

In general threshold should be at the level that the audio is just heard.... enough so that the faint target signals can pop its head thru .. this is on most machines ..

davent
24 February 2017 08:25 pm

1487928372_img_20170224_185534.jpgI. Z gold, not QED unfortunately.

'll have a go at the threshold. As I had some trouble today.
Managed to ground balance on some really hot ground, read 150 on the screen.
Then went through the normal bias procedure, scrolled up until I got a low pitch, taking note of the number, then scrolled down until I got a high pitch signal, again taking notice of the numbers. The null should be about half way, and like the other day, was around 56 on the bias. I was looking for (hoping for big targets)
That's when I adjusted the volume. Had a wobbly threshold. And it worse, had false targets as well.
Sent a message to Howard, the builder, and he recommended I stay in the null 56 and adjust the volume up, and use that as the threshold.
That did the trick, and I was on my way to pockets full of tacks,bullets,tin and wire! No gold. But, neither did my mate with his Z, which handled the ground pretty well on diff/ high y.
Later on, we moved to another spot, with more civilized, but still pretty hot ground. 140 on the GB.
Went back to the bias procedure, and managed a fairly steady threshold. Also played around and upped the gain a notch, turned the volume from 70 back to 30. Didn't like the sound of the threshold, so adjusted the pitch. Went from 25 to 28. Opps, odd to even,= inverted, no worries, but instead of getting an inverted signal on the target, I was getting blanks....silence.
Probably because the volume was down. I dug a blank , and got a good signal when it was "out". When I was trying to get it into the scoop, I lost the bloody thing, found it and lost it again. Whatever it was, was small!
Big learning curve today. Frustrating at times. Still, took me a while to get my head around my GPX. still learning that as well, 1 year on.
My mate and his Z.......3 bits to my nil! As usual.

Last edited by davent (24 February 2017 08:26 pm)

11 users like this post: Heatho, Wishfull, mbasko, grubstake, Ridge Runner, petere, Retirement Stone, Danny13, maxwell4, Mackka, Syndyne

old hand
24 February 2017 08:44 pm

Great report Dave what did you have the gain at regards john smile

golden triangle

1 user likes this post: davent

davent
24 February 2017 08:46 pm

On the hot ground it was 2, upped it to 3 later, cheers, Dave.

neddy
24 February 2017 10:52 pm

When you guys are setting up your machines with bias, and threshold are you using buried test nuggets. When I normally use my detector (minelab gp) I use a test nugget to set my machine up. I also stop during the day and do the same a number of times to make sure settings suit the present conditions.

1 user likes this post: mxt sniper

METRALLA
25 February 2017 12:24 am

DAVENT, glad ya jigger arrived.

I got some goodies and set it up like Reg or James set up, forgot where I seen it. ( THANKS POSTER )

By jingo that rs 160 system has ample audio.

And some extra time between charging, half the weight too. LIPO BATT

Yep I coppied one of the above mentoined.

1487942527_batt.jpg1487942576_hearing_aid.jpg

Been busy for a few weeks, I will go and snag a few bits in the morning.

8" Commander on.

Last edited by METRALLA (25 February 2017 12:33 am)

1 user likes this post: Retirement Stone

davent
25 February 2017 09:36 am

neddy wrote:

When you guys are setting up your machines with bias, and threshold are you using buried test nuggets. When I normally use my detector (minelab gp) I use a test nugget to set my machine up. I also stop during the day and do the same a number of times to make sure settings suit the present conditions.

I use a test nugget, a small one, 0.15 of a gram, but not buried.
During the day, I ground balance and check the bias everytime I start getting ground noise. Yesterday, in the hottest ground, that was about every ten minutes, but in other areas, maybe only once or twice. The bias can be affected by heat, and may need adjusting as the day warms up, but I havnt experienced that yet, as there is not much difference between the hottest and coolest part of the day where I live.
The ground balance needs to be much slower than a GPX,, but is easy to do.

Mackka
25 February 2017 11:01 am

Nasty blister Dave but the gold was worth it.
Cheers
Mackka

davent
25 February 2017 01:33 pm

Blister belongs to my mate who found that gold with his z same.place.

Rush
25 February 2017 02:13 pm

davent wrote:

Davent it would have been good if you could of had a chance to check your mate Z's nuggets with your QED before he dug them up.

Last edited by Rush (25 February 2017 02:14 pm)

gef12
25 February 2017 02:13 pm

The volume is kinda like a variable filter .. going up gives a narrow response and down gives a wider response .. good practice to do the bias again after adjusting volume i find. And if on real mineralised ground drop the gain ...
As tried to explain earlier Threshold is unlike a minelab or any other beasty ..very different.
You out with Adrian or Kerry mate ? Are you further down the bog track ?
Took my winch off .. and found the motor to be stuffed ..I could clean and repair but I need real assurance that it wont stuff up next time so .. new motor is on order.

davent
25 February 2017 03:19 pm

Rush wrote:
davent wrote:

Davent it would have been good if you could of had a chance to check your mate Z's nuggets with your QED before he dug them up.

I did check one, no signal at all.

davent
25 February 2017 03:23 pm

gef12 wrote:

The volume is kinda like a variable filter .. going up gives a narrow response and down gives a wider response .. good practice to do the bias again after adjusting volume i find. And if on real mineralised ground drop the gain ...
As tried to explain earlier Threshold is unlike a minelab or any other beasty ..very different.
You out with Adrian or Kerry mate ? Are you further down the bog track ?
Took my winch off .. and found the motor to be stuffed ..I could clean and repair but I need real assurance that it wont stuff up next time so .. new motor is on order.

Went out with Kerry at BC. Area he found the 3 bits is a large pushed area, shallow bed rock. GB 140. Tried 2 different thresholds, no joy.
Spoke to Howard for a good hour after wards and will try a few of his hints. Seems like a great bloke, and he was really helpful.
Bugger about the which, though pulling the troopy through that slop is a big ask.

Last edited by davent (25 February 2017 03:24 pm)

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site