QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get yours from detech or gold search Mbasko?
Reason I ask is what battery set up you use?
My mate just did up a can corder set up me, much better than the a a,s.

Got it from Detech Dave mainly because I preferred the shaft set up.
Using li ion batteries at the moment. Would be interested in a better battery system for sure especially one that will last a day or so.

Yes I really like the detech setup as well, mine is mounted on the whites shaft.
Member Gef12 should be able to sort you out with an alternate battery pack.
I'll take a pic of mine shortly.

1500548196_img_20170720_192904.jpg

Power lead runs through the shaft, car and wall charger, should be good for 8 hrs run time.

Original battery pack in the background takes 12 rechargeable AA batteries, takes forever to charge and is a real chore. This pack can be charged without revmoving from the shaft.

mbasko said:
Got it from Detech Dave mainly because I preferred the shaft set up.
Using li ion batteries at the moment. Would be interested in a better battery system for sure especially one that will last a day or so.

Howard is working on a battery box setup that should allow users to use up to 6 Li ion batteries ( users will have supply their own batteries and the charger) that should give up to 30 hours detecting if 6 appropriate rechargeable Li ion batteries re used. Will post details when they become available.

Great to see positive stuff re the QED. Ive had mine now for several weeks and its the 1st new detector ive owned for a few years after giving the game away because of injury. But, I seem to have a dud machine. It will have to go back to Howard I suspect. Its constantly noisy and no amount of gain control, SMR etc can shut it up. Ive used an 8" mono off an F1, an 11" commander, a Sadie and a platypus. I even tried a 12x4 AI coil to see if it was due to outside interference. I had a brief period of 5 minutes where it was somewhat stable and I was amazed at the sensitivity! I got 5 targets in an absolute thrashed spot of mine. But then the noise returned and an odd thing happened.I checked the battery strength and I watched the numbers drop from 7.2 down to 6.2 in a few seconds and it shut off. I turned back on and it did the same again. I bring it home and the batteries are all over 1.2V. Very bizarre. Anyone else had such a weird thing happen?

Krisco said:
Great to see positive stuff re the QED. Ive had mine now for several weeks and its the 1st new detector ive owned for a few years after giving the game away because of injury. But, I seem to have a dud machine. It will have to go back to Howard I suspect. Its constantly noisy and no amount of gain control, SMR etc can shut it up. Ive used an 8" mono off an F1, an 11" commander, a Sadie and a platypus. I even tried a 12x4 AI coil to see if it was due to outside interference. I had a brief period of 5 minutes where it was somewhat stable and I was amazed at the sensitivity! I got 5 targets in an absolute thrashed spot of mine. But then the noise returned and an odd thing happened.I checked the battery strength and I watched the numbers drop from 7.2 down to 6.2 in a few seconds and it shut off. I turned back on and it did the same again. I bring it home and the batteries are all over 1.2V. Very bizarre. Anyone else had such a weird thing happen?

Yes it definitely needs to go back to Howard. The QED will also not run with DD coils so i would be surprised if it will run with an A1 coil.
Howard will very quickly work out if your QED is sick and because he knows the circuit backwards will know exactly where the problem is.
I have sent Howard your post by PM on my forum.

Great thanks. The AI coil is essentially a mono and it runs well once the noise stops for a brief minute or two. Should it go back to Howards Redan post box address?

Krisco said:
Great thanks. The AI coil is essentially a mono and it runs well once the noise stops for a brief minute or two. Should it go back to Howards Redan post box address?

Firstly check the battery voltages under a load. Even when nearly flat they will measure 1.2V. The QED will shut down when the voltage falls below 6 volts.
Your symptoms could be due to flat batteries. SMF(SMF As a coil is swung through the Earths Magnetic Field (Static Magnetic Fields) an undesirable signal is generated in the coil. A factory setting is used to miniseries this signal. If as a result of component aging the SMF cancellation alters then SMF can be adjusted. Range is 1 - 100 with a default of 50) should also not be adjusted and should be set at the default value of 50. If this is way out then every coil swing will be noisy due to induced voltage in the coil as it passes through the earths geomagnetic field.
Also what bias / mode settings were you using?
I have spoken with Howard and if you decide to return the QED he will update the firmware and hardware for free other than postage costs.
If the QED can run A1 coils(I think you are the first to do this) then this may be a bonus for others.

No, the batteries were fully charged and the on-screen voltage showed 7.2V immediately before the sudden drop. But these are brand new AA cells so maybe they need more cycles to perform properly. I will check the SMF setting again and perhaps alter it 1 or 2 numbers either way if the default 50 doesnt help again. Depending on the coil, bias was set at between 46-48 and mode 1 as these were easily the most sensitive settings on small gold. I will give these ideas a trial tomorrow and see how it performs. Yes the 12x4 AI was terrific and easily the most sensitive, beating the sadie by a good margin.

If I am able to quieten it down, I will try an extension cable too. My buggered shoulder thanks me when I can swing a detector lighter than my 4500. so mounting the control box and battery set in a bag on my hip should make a big difference if it works.

Krisco said:
No, the batteries were fully charged and the on-screen voltage showed 7.2V immediately before the sudden drop. But these are brand new AA cells so maybe they need more cycles to perform properly. I will check the SMF setting again and perhaps alter it 1 or 2 numbers either way if the default 50 doesnt help again. Depending on the coil, bias was set at between 46-48 and mode 1 as these were easily the most sensitive settings on small gold. I will give these ideas a trial tomorrow and see how it performs. Yes the 12x4 AI was terrific and easily the most sensitive, beating the sadie by a good margin.

The sudden voltage drop suggest to me that the batteries were not fully charged. The QED only draws 350 mA.

Would anyone know if the supplied ferrite suppressors are a particular size & a "special" type or just a run of the mill one? $20 for 2 at Goldsearch but $5 for 2 on eBay from an electronics supplier. Need some more so I can just leave them on each coil.

Dave, did you send your QED to Howard at his Redan PO box? I think I will take him up on the firmware update :) Thanks

Latest posts