QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian, its the hill south of the truck stop, on the left as you go south. BC. Turn off is close to the top of the hill, goes down into a creek.
Spoke to the lease holder, dale, and he tells me he might have sold the lease, to a big company.....most likley be Kirkland lake,(Newmarket/croc).
That can't be good for us.

Dave there is a spot I go detecting down here that at time the emi is shocking cannot see anything in the area that could cause it ,from what you are saying sounds like the trucks in some way are causing the emi ,with all new technology on vehicles these days it may be some sort of electronic engine brake regards john :)

just googling .. i see some electronic brake installations require that you keep it at a distance from ur AM radio as would cause interfernence .. so u may have something there
Personally have not noticed it .. but generally not real close to the roads either

Any Pulse Width Modulated Circuit (P.W.M. )
will play havoc with a receiver.
Especially with a sensitive one like a detector.
Best way to describe what is going on is Google
the italic words.

Dave same part of the highway.Same day that 2 FA18's flew over really low.didnt that cause some emi.

old hand said:
Dave there is a spot I go detecting down here that at time the emi is shocking cannot see anything in the area that could cause it ,from what you are saying sounds like the trucks in some way are causing the emi ,with all new technology on vehicles these days it may be some sort of electronic engine brake regards john :)

I have the same issue working in the Whipstick. I think it is the new Telstra towers being deployed and turned on across the region.
It seems to be getting worse of late and the only thing that coincides is the Telstra rollout (NBN) for properties who cannot get Fiber and have radio links.

HoudiniHarry said:
I have the same issue working in the Whipstick. I think it is the new Telstra towers being deployed and turned on across the region.
It seems to be getting worse of late and the only thing that coincides is the Telstra rollout (NBN) for properties who cannot get Fiber and have radio links.

Naahh Harry, pockets of the Whipstick have for years been prone to EMI...even from the cattleyards when they have market day...

I find it varies on the wind...no wind, mild if any issues, wind picks up and so does the EMI....

The NBN stuff may be contributing, but the EMI/Whipstick situation is not new...imo. (90%+ of my gold found in the Whipstick over 8 yrs)...

ymmv.

Looks like another supplier is now selling a complete package:
http://www.detech-metaldetectorsaustralia.com.au/qed-detech-complete-package
$1750 with carbon fibre shaft, 11" coil, li ion battery holder + charger (no batteries).
No affiliation with Detech or any issue with the current supplier - have purchased gear off both previously & they are both good to deal with. The Detech package does look like a nicer set up & depending on coil in GSA package is a few hundred or so cheaper.
If they were on the shelf ready to send I would/could be tempted.

be aware of electonic fences also .. they would be pulsed ...
interesting re the new supplier .. nice setup .. thou cant see the battery box unless its in the shaft :)

mbasko said:
Looks like another supplier is now selling a complete package:
http://www.detech-metaldetectorsaustralia.com.au/qed-detech-complete-package
$1750 with carbon fibre shaft, 11" coil, li ion battery holder + charger (no batteries).
No affiliation with Detech or any issue with the current supplier - have purchased gear off both previously & they are both good to deal with. The Detech package does look like a nicer set up & depending on coil in GSA package is a few hundred or so cheaper.
If they were on the shelf ready to send I would/could be tempted.

That setup looks much better, an extra couple of hundred bucks for a lot less buggering around would win me over everytime.

Its actually cheaper than GSA.

GSA is $1570 I think without a coil or shaft, or batteries and charger.

From GSA with a 12" evo and all the stuff you need to get going, its about $2300 or so.

De Tech package looks very ergonomic, has a coil of similar quality, just need to buy some 18650 batteries for about $20 a pair.

Wonder how long it would run on two of these batteries though?

Pete is the de tech dealer I am pretty certain you can buy the shafts from him he is good to deal with others are using 2 x 18650 and get between 4 and 5 hours out of them regards john :)

I would think also the battery box made by the developer that holds 12 NiMH AA batteries would produce a good counter balance to the coil with the battery box attached under an upper shaft close to the armrest.

Rush said:
I would think also the battery box made by the developer that holds 12 NiMH AA batteries would produce a good counter balance to the coil with the battery box attached under an upper shaft close to the armrest.
Good point Rush. Many like the idea of less batteries to maintain I think - I know I do - & less weight. Less weight doesn't necessarily mean good ergonomics though.
Maybe some type of counterweight for larger/heavier coils could be attached & removed when not needed rather than having 12 individual batteries to charge/maintain? I'm also not sold on the battery box from GSA. The wingnuts aren't my idea of an ideal fastening system but I guess it makes it easy to undo it but who doesn't have at least basic tools on board out in the bush?
I like the Li-ion & Li-poly battery packs for this reason to i.e. the RC type ones

I have just ordered one of these for my QED 4 X 18650 BATTERIES AT 7.4 VOLT should last all day
1491473598_s-l200.jpg

Just curious Dave, the bias on this machine in a nut shell is that similar to the pulse delay on eg the whites TDI's? As watching another QED video lower this number makes the machine more responsive to smaller stuff.

Getting curious about this machine as Im looking to purchase my first PI as i'd like a new unit and this fits in the bill for price as does the TDI SL, albeith the SL will need another coil

Yes, the bias does a similar job to the pulse delay, in that it supposed to high light small or big targets.
I have owned a TDI pro oz, and sold it to upgrade to a gpx 4500. I sold it before I mastered it, and didn't really give it a fair go, however, I think the QED is a much better machine, particularly with detech s package.

Thanks, thats helpful info.

I do like the look of the De-tech set up. The Qed just does seem a little strange regarding the threshold/volume and setting of the bias.

Also the mode looking at the instructions seems strange as well.

As quoted
"The mode synchronizes the search coil to the control box using sample data when the mode is increased the sample delay time is also increased. Some search coil may need a higher or lower mode number to pickup target response better. Ensure the detector is first Ground Balanced. Then, using a test target sitting on the ground go through the modes taking note which MODE number produces the best result."

So I gather the size for the test wont matter as all sizes will be optimal for said coil and depth?

Latest posts