QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, so I haven't got out and spent any real time on it yet, just a 1/2 hour in the back yard. So far I'm wrapped, but should have a much better idea by Saturday arvo.
For now , I'm going to post a few bits and pieces, so you can get a bit of an idea of what it is, and how how compact the unit is.
Moderator Notice.
Any irrelevant Post's will be removed.

Thanks Dave for your informative opinion.

1487242714_img_20170216_202121.jpg

Here is the control box beside my GPX 4500 box, for size comparison, there isn't much difference in weight, but of course the smaller the unit, the smaller the weight.

Good onya Davent, I'm keen to see how things shape up for you with the QED.

Interesting size difference, what is the weight for each unit there dave, it'd be interesting to know seeing the units side by side.

1487243327_img_20170216_203426.jpg

Battery box size comparison. QED much smaller, but not as nice a package as the GPX. A bit rough really. There are plenty of options though.

I'll post weights in a few days, battery is flat on bathroom scales, they are all I have.
Its temporarily mounted on my gpx shaft for now, so no head to comparison until I get my new shaft.
I have no intention of giving up my gpx either, I want both!

Are batteries AAAs or AA looks like 12 of them is that 14.4 volts. Makes me think of two lithiums 7 volts. Be interesting to see what else might pop up as alternatives.

It seems to me the QED 'runs' on 6x batteries, and the charger allows for two full sets to be charged at once????

you can run the QED on almost any battery makeup as long as is under 10volts ..the unit shuts down around 6 volts ..
you dont have to use the one supplied ... if u have a bit of tech nouse u can make up your own as i Have...
cheers

Thanks Gef12..i was only responding to the post referring to the posted pic...( i assume the standard supplied set-up?) :shrugs:

Good to know the other, for the 'tinkerer's' among us.. ;) :D

GGA

Went to the edge of a known gold area today to try it out under the right conditions. Made a small test patch, only 2 targets, a 3.4 gm bit of lead at 7.5 inches and a 37gm bit of lead at 11.5 inches.
Unfortunately, the wet has seen the grass grow very quickly, and I couldn't really detect properly for gold, so just stayed on a small cleared area that is really trashy, but at least the ground is right.
No worries ground balancing, only needed to do it once, and stayed on 134.

Bias made all the difference, and I understand, for small targets, you should be just below 50, and bigger targets, just over, but I found the best for me, and this area was 54-56 made the detector really stable, and still picked up all targets, including my first find with it, a small bit of tin. Mode 1 worked well with the 12" evo.
Early days, but it seems really easy to use. I took some video, but don't know how to load it here?

That's good to know thatt it was pretty straight forward to set it up right.

Unfortunately we don't host vids on the forum, you can load it onto youtube if you have an account there and embed it here.

GypsyGoldAu said:
It seems to me the QED 'runs' on 6x batteries, and the charger allows for two full sets to be charged at once????
The battery box takes all 12 of the as batteries.
There are plenty of options to power the QED up, but recharable as,s are pretty easy.

Yeah mate, surprised me too.
One I tested I'm back yard was smaller, same result, I'm going out tomorrow with another QED owner. We will try a few things, including even smaller bits.

Latest posts