Went For A Swing.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Headed up to a local park for a swing this afternoon,found a lot of ring pulls.I started detecting where everyone sits on the grass while the Australia Day presentations are made.As you can see there was a lot of ringpulls and 3x2cent and 1cent.There was a few targets that may have been coins but were too deep and without a pinpointer I would have made too much of a mess so left them for another day.Done the brown bark under the playground and found 5 cents.Does anyone know what the thing is in the second photo?I think it might be a bullet head.Made of lead and hollow half way through.
1487236392_image.jpg

1487236438_image.jpg

Yep, bullet projectile for sure ,..... and if your getting 1's & 2's that means no one got to it in the old days (someone may have cherry picked through it with a top o the line tecta in modern times though, that we couldn't tell) :D

silver said:
Yep, bullet projectile for sure ,..... and if your getting 1's & 2's that means no one got to it in the old days (someone may have cherry picked through it with a top o the line tecta in modern times though, that we couldn't tell) :D
Possibly silver :Y: I'm a cheery picker in a lot of places :eek: If you can find an easy goldie there would prove it's a fresh park ;)
If there is BB's there they haven't looked for the PD's :cool:
Only one way to find out though ;)

silver said:
I know "lonely silver"(young Jacob)has a video where he stopped in and had a swing in the same park and found a few pre dec coins.Not sure what area of the park he tried though.

Eldorado said:
silver said:
I know "lonely silver"(young Jacob)has a video where he stopped in and had a swing in the same park and found a few pre dec coins.Not sure what area of the park he tried though.
Be able to see whats been done once you start to grid it up. :D

Eldorado said:
Headed up to a local park for a swing this afternoon,found a lot of ring pulls.I started detecting where everyone sits on the grass while the Australia Day presentations are made.As you can see there was a lot of ringpulls and 3x2cent and 1cent.There was a few targets that may have been coins but were too deep and without a pinpointer I would have made too much of a mess so left them for another day.Done the brown bark under the playground and found 5 cents.Does anyone know what the thing is in the second photo?I think it might be a bullet head.Made of lead and hollow half way through.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5682/1487236438_image.jpg

Nice projectile there, if you can provide a diameter about 2/3 up from the bottom, a length and a mass in grams
I should be able to get you an ID.

At the moment it looks like a Snyder projectile, however it could be a mini-ball from another caliber.
Mid to maybe very early 1900's, after that the barrels were generally rifled, but black powder smooth bore firearms
were still widely used by the public into the 1900's.

GH

Im Sure that could be a projectile ...Just not from a modern rifle though....for starters they are never hollow at the end :Could be from black powder rifle.....but i dont think so...Y: ...I would be searching for PDs there as well mate :Y:
1487286059_screenshot_20170217-085907-600x1067.jpg
Though i have been known ro be wrong on multiple occasions :D :lol: :lol: Far left of pic :Y:

I will have to not agree with Smokey, projectiles normally have a part of the side that is parrellel (mini ball excepted) not tapered as this would not allow the bullet to fly straight making it very inaccurate. And as to being hollow it would not have the weight and construction to penetrate very well. Just my 2 cents worth after being around firearms for 40 years.

Cheers

Doug

I'm wondering if they weren't some sort of 'powder measure'???

The top pic of it next to the nail appears like a small diameter stem may have been broken off??? (or just my eyes??)

IIRC in the early days, lead was used as it wouldn't ignite the powder...but that may have just been for larger volumes.

Eldorado?....any chance you can fill it with powder and measure the weight? 8)

GGA

Correction from earlier post - "Mid 1800's to maybe very early 1900's"

I have been around Firearms for a long time also, definitely not a later Snider projectile that has been fired.

The early .577 Snider was a smooth bore rifle.
Kato has a fired projectile she found in her Grandfathers backyard, it dates back to the 1860's when SAPOL
had a very 'modern' new .577 Snider issued firearm.
They stopped using it 6 or 7 years later.

The later .577 Sniders were updated with a rifled barrel, so if it is a later fired projectile it would have rifling grooves.

To ID the age and what type of firearm it came out of, it is necessary to get the specs of it.

The cup in the back is how the Mini-ball projectiles sealed the gas from escaping past them inside the barrel, as 'patches' cant be used
efficiently with cartridges or Mini-balls.
They are made from pure lead, so they were very soft and sealed into the bore with the soft lead skirt as gas expanded behind it.
Heavy and soft, consequently deadly as all the energy would be exerted upon the target by the very heavy projectile.

As blackpowder cartridges were developed the Mini-ball design was taken advantage of.
BUT standard blackpowder rifles used this 'skirt' advantage also, in many calibers too.
These are commonly used now in hunting and competition shooting by Blackpowder shooters, same old system. LOL

Kato has had a NEW .577 snider projectile and a modern made cartridge that was sent to her from a Snider shooter.
Her detected projectile in pic's also.
Notice her 'skirt' is also deformed, soft lead and been in the ground for about 150 years, of a vege patch !

1487413708_img_0346.jpg

1487413708_img_0347.jpg

Cheapskate New Zealand Florins, you think they could have made them at least 50/50 silver! O:) Can't say I ever found an NZ florin, so you are doing better than me. ;)

A pound and a florin from the backyard :lol: :lol: Wonder if the GF's mum would notice a sneaky plug mark or ten :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's a pound I haven't seen before :cool: :Y:

Goldpick said:
Cheapskate New Zealand Florins, you think they could have made them at least 50/50 silver! O:) Can't say I ever found an NZ florin, so you are doing better than me. ;)
Apparently they were 50% silver up until 1946 and then changed to cupronickel.Stupid me cleaned it in citric acid thinking it was a silver and it turned a bit pink.Oh well lesson learnt.
1488874653_image.jpg

B5MECH said:
A pound and a florin from the backyard :lol: :lol: Wonder if the GF's mum would notice a sneaky plug mark or ten :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's a pound I haven't seen before :cool: :Y:
It's a 2007 one pound coin,the reverse design is The Gateshead Millennium Bridge by Edwina Ellis.She designed a series of one pound coins called the Bridge Series.The last "round pound"was made in 2016,the UK will now have a 12 sided one pound coin.
The Last Round Pound.
1488876239_image.jpg

The New Pound
1488876045_image.jpg

Still a top score Eldorado, can't be blamed for the kiwis sleight of hand in all things Florinish.
8) :p :cool:

Eldorado said:
Goldpick said:
Apparently they were 50% silver up until 1946 and then changed to cupronickel.Stupid me cleaned it in citric acid thinking it was a silver and it turned a bit pink.Oh well lesson learnt.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5682/1488874653_image.jpg

Consider trying to plate it with nickel again, it looks pretty clean. :/

Oh yeah and that looks like a rake tooth, I broke one of my fathers rake exactly the same shape.

A rake tooth, I never would have thought of that,cheers Greenhornet.It is good to be able to identify some of our finds.

Latest posts