You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

GypsyGoldAu
17 February 2017 09:45 pm

B5MECH wrote:

There has to be something that has pure zinc in it

big_smile lol devil

www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1MDNA_enAU593AU593&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=zinc+ingots+suppliers+australia

Last edited by GypsyGoldAu (17 February 2017 09:48 pm)

GGA Mobile Electroplating (Mil. Std_865d Certified) Industrial & Decorative.
8) http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/gy … aryborough

1 user likes this post: B5MECH

silver
17 February 2017 09:46 pm

Here you go.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/manutec-500 … r_p2961527

What a great day ! ,... " I'll see you in the field ".

GypsyGoldAu
17 February 2017 09:51 pm

big_smile big_smile big_smile Whoops, we in a time loop now... lol

Sorry Silver, we been there post #23... tongue

But hey, shows folks wanna help right? wink

GGA

B5MECH
17 February 2017 09:53 pm

Maybe the galvanizers but it think there solid ingots, could always cut small bits off and hammer them flat I guess thumbsup
I keep going in circles too and back to this
https://www.sciencecompany.com/Zinc-Met … 0C670.aspx
There US though sad thumbsdown

Last edited by B5MECH (17 February 2017 09:56 pm)

A Crystal Ball....a Magic Wand....a Weegie Board....two Dowsing Rods
..............................And lots of Bee's.................................

GypsyGoldAu
17 February 2017 09:57 pm

B5...your profile says your in Sydney,...mate, plenty of e/platers there???

Even my supplier is in Sydney, but we use solutions not solids....

GGA

AtomRat
17 February 2017 10:01 pm

B5 - non rechargable bateries for pure zinc. Like crappy AA size. The metal shell is zinc

Wisdom is knowing how little you know

B5MECH
17 February 2017 10:03 pm

GypsyGoldAu wrote:

B5...your profile says your in Sydney,...mate, plenty of e/platers there???

Even my supplier is in Sydney, but we use solutions not solids....

GGA

Not up my end, I'm in the isolated area yikes so need my license back to go west lol lol or south

..............................And lots of Bee's.................................

B5MECH
17 February 2017 10:08 pm

AtomRat wrote:

B5 - non rechargable bateries for pure zinc. Like crappy AA size. The metal shell is zinc

AHhhh finally a use for dead batteries, so peel the shell off wink thumbsup
1487329601_l_001.jpg
Sweet I've already got a stack built up ready for the GOLDEN PENNY smile Knew I was saving them for some reason roll lol lol

GypsyGoldAu
17 February 2017 10:09 pm

I don't imagine a 50-100g sample from a Sydney e/plater would cost much in the post though...

If not, they might at least be able to tell you where to get some...

GGA

2 users like this post: B5MECH, AtomRat

AtomRat
17 February 2017 10:11 pm

Just make sure they say zinc-carbon. Should be a nice carbon rod to use as electrode in other projects too. The black crap will be manganese dioxide soaked in an electrolyte, just wear gloves and put it in a bin.

B5MECH
17 February 2017 10:26 pm

Thanks guys thumbsup I was looking for a carbon rod a while ago AR, to do a special Distributor cap repair thumbsup that's the goods
1487330626_ll_001.jpg
1487330626_ll_002.jpg
I'll have to check the package on the Duracell's but them ones thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
I'll try to set it up over the weekend and do a post on it in the members only section big_smile thumbsup

1 user likes this post: silver

AtomRat
17 February 2017 11:15 pm

Just for the hell of it I ripped open a super heavy duty AA batt. Set of pliers, no probs! There was a different small amount of black goop on the top of mine, not exactly sure what it was, but all it contained was the carbon rod, manganese dioxide and end caps. To test if the case is zinc, (not aluminium) you can either put a drop of copper sulfate solution onto it and see if it turns white, or if you scrape up a thin slither of it with a sharp tool it will burn into a smoke where alloy will get hot and stay. Cant find my copper sulfate so will do that in morn. Burn test is a bit difficult to determine

16707398_10154404430476279_1945146122084009062_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=66b64d333b928a43a0bfd77c1a4e1857&oe=594A081E

Last edited by AtomRat (17 February 2017 11:38 pm)

GypsyGoldAu
17 February 2017 11:26 pm

Anyone thinking we should lobby for sticky on Hints-Tips&Tricks with categories for things like cleaners, displaying, repairs etc?

This could also be an area for other categories (cabbing & faceting etc) as well...

Seems many threads offer good advice, be nice to have them in an easy to find format...

Thoughts?

ops ..apologies if this has been covered previously.

Last edited by GypsyGoldAu (17 February 2017 11:28 pm)

3 users like this post: silver, B5MECH, AtomRat

silver
17 February 2017 11:33 pm

Should be a special section in the members only area, I agree with B5 ,.... this and other threads of secret and mystical information should have their special place thumbsup on the other side of the rainbow where the real party is. tongue

What a great day ! ,... " I'll see you in the field ".

2 users like this post: AtomRat, B5MECH

GypsyGoldAu
17 February 2017 11:39 pm

Maybe blend it with the 'projects' thread perhaps as a 'sub-forum'???

Last edited by GypsyGoldAu (17 February 2017 11:40 pm)

2 users like this post: AtomRat, B5MECH

AtomRat
17 February 2017 11:52 pm

This thread can be moved if need be thumbsup

B5MECH
18 February 2017 07:14 pm

First part big_smile Zinc sulfate, first bummings didn't have so had to go further roll
1487405543_kkk_001.jpg
Not certain about the duracell for zinc so will have to wear the pinpointer out tonight for the chevron 9v thumbsup

2 users like this post: GypsyGoldAu, silver

B5MECH
18 February 2017 08:47 pm

AtomRat wrote:

Just for the hell of it I ripped open a super heavy duty AA batt. Set of pliers, no probs! There was a different small amount of black goop on the top of mine, not exactly sure what it was, but all it contained was the carbon rod, manganese dioxide and end caps. To test if the case is zinc, (not aluminium) you can either put a drop of copper sulfate solution onto it and see if it turns white, or if you scrape up a thin slither of it with a sharp tool it will burn into a smoke where alloy will get hot and stay. Cant find my copper sulfate so will do that in morn. Burn test is a bit difficult to determine

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ … e=594A081E

The burn test confirms the Duracell are alloy cased AR, so will pull a chevron apart tomorrow wink
We got a sticky but didn't make it to the private rainbow party area roll lol lol lol
Almost forgot gota pick a couple of experiment penny's and clean and polish them up cool

Last edited by B5MECH (18 February 2017 08:51 pm)

2 users like this post: golddiggerart, AtomRat

B5MECH
19 February 2017 08:34 pm

The coins are being difficult roll not sure if the citric is too much, the Worcestershire roll is wearing them too much roll
Might have to make a mini soda blaster hmm they need to be spotless roll
1487496800_fff_007.jpg
Left is close but not close enough, maybe need to choose better coins that will clean easier 8)

2 users like this post: silver, AtomRat

Tathradj
20 February 2017 05:33 pm

Just removed the off track comments in this post.
Now, Stay on track please people. big_smile

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.

3 users like this post: B5MECH, silver, Greenhornet_au

B5MECH
20 February 2017 10:28 pm

Thanks Tathradj wink Today's progress report FAIL mad roll lol lol Tried too hard to make myself believe the chevron shell was zinc through multiple SG tests til I made it give me the SG of zinc roll hmm idiot lol thumbsdown should have believed the burn test, I know what zinc burns like, Bang head thumbsdown
I new it was alloy by the way it peeled off but at least found out how much heat I needed roll lol
Budget so far is $17 between the zinc sulfate and 99% zinc plate roll link for zinc below. Decided to bite the bullet and blow the 2 bob budget.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292014026553 … EBIDX%3AIT
I used to have some zinc flashing but got recycled a while ago hmm but sure it would suffice if you have some around, also some newer wheel weights are made from zinc but not sure how pure they are.
I believe everyone is unsure about what's going on here because of the title so this is the first experiment, click below.
https://www.sciencecompany.com/Turn-Cop … nnies.aspx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_ml8tAnWE
For those unsure this thread is about creating patina, preserving, and special coatings and tricks for copper coins and relics big_smile thumbsup not cleaning wink
For those interested stay tuned wink I'm trying to do it first without having to deal with Lab suppliers so anybody that feels confident can achieve it cool
I'm using a coffee peculator beaker, you can get cheap at either a vinnies or your local tip recycling center like the one at Nelson Bay, yes the one that says not for stove top lol lol as long as your careful you should not have a problem.
I sit it inside an old not for food ever again cast alloy pot as a heat sink to avoid it splitting, and if it did the liquid will be retained in the pot and not spill everywhere.
The first run will be done with a few BB's of varying cleanliness so I don't ruin a penny with a FAIL lol lol so I can make sure I know how clean it has to be thumbsup Hoping not to have to clean them as far as the penny on the left in the above post
Please keep the thread clean so it's easy to follow, if you start on page one has a variety of different tricks to try and Atom Rat is going to have a go at a few along the lines of patina, this coating is a chemical plating process which starts as a zinc coating which can be left looking silver or heating alloys the zinc with copper to create a brass coating cool It' will be called THE SILVER OR GOLDEN PENNY'S lol lol lol lol
Stay tuned while I wait for the postie to show, maybe the end of the week, if you follow you may not make the mistakes I have already lol lol thumbsup
This is not a super toxic process but please don't drink contents or deliberately inhale for fun lol lol lol thumbsup

Last edited by B5MECH (20 February 2017 10:38 pm)

4 users like this post: ktmman, GypsyGoldAu, Smoky bandit, AtomRat

GypsyGoldAu
20 February 2017 11:08 pm

ops ...sorry about this coming suggestion B5MECH since you've now 'bit the bullet'...
Perhaps for your next time, you might try the metal scrappo's...scrap is not worth anything these days, cents on the dollar, except for recoverable's and copper.... :dunno:

Might be worth a try next time eh? (again,...sorry)

GGA

Last edited by GypsyGoldAu (20 February 2017 11:09 pm)

B5MECH
20 February 2017 11:25 pm

When I found the only AU listing for $6.99 and lab 99.9 grade I couldn't beat it, the fuel to get to Brookvale would have costed more and not sure how clean the scrap would be or if they had any as they cash in daily, I figured with Lab grade I'll be cutting cost by not making another mistake by being a tight a... lol lol lol
Every time I have to set it up is a waste if it goes wrong roll thumbsup
Oh I went for the free post option so I can sit back and get the set up right before next attempt wink
I was a good dry learning run, I tried for bunnings but they don't sell zinc flashing anymore and the place I found the price was out of control
$160 a roll new yikes thumbsdown

3 users like this post: GypsyGoldAu, AtomRat, silver

AtomRat
21 February 2017 08:36 am

B5 - my comments suggested to use a solution of copper sulfate on the probable zinc. It will turn white if its zinc not alloy or did u try this? Copper Sulfate. My chamelian was alloy case too. I certainly know the older D size batts like blackcats were zinc. Must be a newer brand thats using zinc still

Last edited by AtomRat (21 February 2017 08:40 am)

AtomRat
21 February 2017 08:44 am

1982 pennys from america are zinc, order a bag? Sorry for delays - head been elsewhere

whats happened to your two pennys in photo B5 is the same result as ehat i was getting sometimes while cleaning. The coins look soo ugly and why i had the idea to re petina

Last edited by AtomRat (21 February 2017 08:54 am)

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site