Detector control box on the hip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

Are there any detectors that have the control box on the hip? I'm considering moveing my F1A4 to a belt holster type set up, but am concerned about the cable movement.

Anyone done this? Any detectors that are set up like this naturally?

Thanks

James

The goldbugs 1 and 2 have a belt clip type thing on them to belt mount them , the early minelabs like xt17000 and 18000 etc came with a pouch for hip mounting .
Not sure what if any PI detectors came out with a factory provision to hip mount , i know certainly Minelab didnt.

Main problem was straining lead connectors. You need to secure the lead away from the connectors I have used a cord similar to a bungy but not elastic. This limits the amount of travel the lead can be stretched not allowing connectors to be strained and breaking internal wiring solder joints.

With a bit of ingenuity you could probably mount a GPX control box on a double pouch arrangement. The battery is in a pouch on the harness so why couldn't the control box. You'd have to setup the control box first and not be able to easily adjust settings. Would also need a coil extension lead but not hard to do. Just a wild thought.

Yeah the digging a target is a pain.

Does a loose coil lead(as in not secured, but plugged in tight) cause noise?

I think it was about getting the cable coiled around the shaft neatly with out too much slop before it gets to the box as the slop was the cause of the interference

with a hip mounted version, the cable between top of the detector and unit would be swinging in the breeze!
hmm

Maybe try removing the box and give it a swing in the yard with a temporary strap or a second person holding it in hip position ;)
the interference came at the end of the swing in one direction only but believe it can be sorted with the cable secured correctly :)

Doing that is all very well but the balance of the shaft and coil will be a pain, that's Ok with small coils but with normal coils your arm will be killing you by the end of the day. it is the weight of the control box that makes ML machines a joy to use.

hope that helps

John.

If you have tried the f1a4 in its pouch over your shoulder then you'll know it's very doable, the shaft setup on the f1a4 is similar to the explorer so it's heavier than a gp/gpx setup but still doesn't feel to heavy with the smaller coils.

I only bought the control box for the F1A4, and my handle is home made, so yeah. Do you mean that the unit comes with a shoulder pouch in the kits?

Latest posts