Lucknow Gold Field NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wonder has anyone prospected/detected on the Lucknow field East of Orange?

Been looking through some archives of information I have, one being the Mineral Resources report 1920 of that field.

From the earlier discoveries it records "the Snobs claim gave 15 to 20 oz. of gold to the dish (about 20lb. of dirt)", then "Sawyers claim 200oz from 4 bushels of dirt" From hard rock, "Shamrock 112oz. to the ton, Golden Gate 1500oz. from 7 tons, Industry Rewarded 2700oz. from 20 1/4 tons."

Some very impressive figures, and from the geology side of the report, accessible weathered outcropping of the auriferous ground could be still existing.
I appreciate most could well be on private property, permission required, but may well be worth the effort.

Mike

Hey Boobook, just send me the cons mate I will pan it myself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I will be very interested in ant follow up research.
Cheers
Mackka

always wanted to have a look in the creek there but never had time and it is private property,It is just over the hill from ophir,I believe that is were the first official gold was panned,good luck and let us know how you get on.

Lewy is right. Produced half a million ounces from hard rocks plus alluvial. Veins in serpentinite. Gaspeite (nickel carbonate) reportedly produced from Ophir (Hargrave's discovery) in early days of settlement, but I suspect that it was in these serpentinites on the Lucknow Fault.

Latest posts